Sponsored by:

Courtesy delivery dealer compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
You are absolutely correct. I will never do a courtesy delivery again. My current dealer is great for fixing a Cruze but has no clue about the Corvette. You guys that get a courtesy delivery from a dealer that is not competent on Corvette will have a real interesting experience.
Saving about $8K over buying from my local dealer was worth the gamble!
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

$5,000.00 savings here......an easy slamdunk decision to do a courtesy delivery.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by 460z51
Jerry,

You commented on alignment. When I got the 500 mile oil change, I had them do the 4 wheel alignment. To my surprise all came in with in spec. Being the car was shipped to Toledo Ohio, and then railed to Phoenix i figured alignment would of change. Good luck on finding a good courtesy dealer, looks like I got lucky on my part!!
FWIW the Grand Sport specs for the rear are -1.1 +- 0.6. A pretty wide range and can be "within spec." If on the high side that would be -1.7 degrees and will surely wear out the inside.

Expect I'll have to pay to have them set at -0.5 each as that takes time. But with those wide tires their life will be worth it.

Bottom Line on my Courtesy Delivery Concerns:

Visited the courtesy deliver dealer today. Turns out it is a small dealer but the service managers wife has a 2016 Vette! She detailed it herself when it came in! He had no problem not washing mine and understood. His top mechanic will do all the Vette work and he accepted my 2 inch high aluminum jack pads just in case but I felt the mechanic probably has his own. The dealership just ordered a Vette for inventory. As expected in our area, the showroom had only two large 4 door diesel trucks! Both cost about my Vette price!

Told them not to fill with oil level if it was above Min and mentioned I keep it half way between Min and Max. Very accommodating!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-20-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

even with $750 courtesy fee I still saved over 5k going with forum dealer.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
The courtesy dealer that did mine doesn't sell Corvettes and they did exactly what they were supposed to do. Car was unmolested with 2mi. I thought I read somewhere the dealer gets $400ish from GM the PDI? Seems high, as some dealers sure balk at it. My courtesy dealer was gonna forgo the money from me but i gave it to him anyway.
Getting the car is one thing but if you have a major problem it will get interesting. It is obvious your dealer does not have a Corvette trained mechanic. You are going to be pretty upset to see your car stripped down in pieces and put back together when Bubba hands you a bag of parts that he could not figure out where they came from.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Getting the car is one thing but if you have a major problem it will get interesting. It is obvious your dealer does not have a Corvette trained mechanic. You are going to be pretty upset to see your car stripped down in pieces and put back together when Bubba hands you a bag of parts that he could not figure out where they came from.
Got two nearby that do sell Corvettes. Only problem I'd have is they pull the arrogant card and refuse to work on my courtesy delivered car. The courtesy dealer I got it from is about 90 miles from here so doubtful I'd take it there unless I was up at the lake and wanted a free oil change. Change the oil myself though. So far no issues with the car and I'll probably fix things myself that don't involve expensive parts. Cheers.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Even if he had driven to Kerbeck or MacMulkin(or had them ship the car by Intercity) or did a museum delivery and then drove his new Corvette home, he would still have the same problem of his local dealer not having a trained Corvette tech when he needs service.

The PDI does not require a "trained" Corvette tech with a courtesy delivery at a dealer that does not sell Corvettes. Plus, even if the dealer has a Corvette trained tech, that is no guarantee that that particular tech will work on his Corvette, or that the Corvette tech will still be employed at that dealer at the time he might require service on his Corvette.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Got two nearby that do sell Corvettes. Only problem I'd have is they pull the arrogant card and refuse to work on my courtesy delivered car. The courtesy dealer I got it from is about 90 miles from here so doubtful I'd take it there unless I was up at the lake and wanted a free oil change. Change the oil myself though. So far no issues with the car and I'll probably fix things myself that don't involve expensive parts. Cheers.
Funny, have had no such problem with the local Chevy dealer. Service Manager is happy to handle warranty service.

It's run separately from the sales department. He even was a help in getting GM to accept my report I prepared to get the air conditioner condenser replaced at no charge once I showed the leak was caused from the inside in a damaged tube NOT from a rock! Rebated the ~$800 in full!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Unless you make it a problem not getting your Corvette serviced locally, it won't be a problem. Holding the service after the sale threat of not servicing your Chevrolet, unless you buy from them, is just a high pressure sales tactic, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Courtesy delivery dealer compensation