Courtesy delivery dealer compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Default Courtesy delivery dealer compensation

Curious if the Courtesy Delivery Dealer gets paid by GM for car prep and installing side skirts and splitter when they are part of a Grand Sport?

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I would think there is a new car prep submittal form sent to GM for reimbursement by the Dealer. Currently the courtesy delivery charge paid by the customer is way to low to cover more than a wash job.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
In fact I was surprised to find so low a fee and an instant answer from this one dealer ~25 miles away. Other closer dealers I called said NO. In fact when I bought my '08 had the same NO answer from several, one 60 miles away! For the '08, flew to Atlantic City and drove it home. The dealer that said yes quickly with an instant cost told me they do it all the time for the largest employer in that town with some 3000+ employees. I'm sure they have a number that get cars!

I'm going to visit to check out their service area etc. Never been there but they do have a god reputation. Was just wondering how they are compensated. I'm going to see what they do for washing etc as I almost prefer to wash it myself as I will anyway before I clay bar and put on Zaino products.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM
460z51
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a courtesy Delivery, my dealer charged $300.00 plus they said GM pays them to do the Post Delivery inspection. They filled the tank an spent about 45 min going over all of the features. They also know if they do a good job you will give them your warranty and regular service in which I have.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Thanks, That is what I am paying and figured they got paid for the inspection, washing and in my case installing the side skirts and splitter.

I'll check our their service capabilities and since I live in the country their 25 miles is not much more than the 16 miles to the dealer in town.

I'll change my own oil but will want someone with the proper capability to set the camber at -0.5 degrees front and rear. Will have that done after the suspension has fully settled at about 500 miles.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I paid $350 and they screwed up the PDI, but not as bad as they screwed it up with my C6 at least. On the C6 they jacked the car up by the body panels, and of course one broke. On my C7 Z51 they installed the center air dam. It ripped and fell off a few months ago!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

^^^^ This, is one of my concerns about doing a Courtesy Delivery.

If it's true that the delivering Chevrolet dealer is getting substantive monies from GM, as well as your Courtesy Delivery money, then it would make sense to expect receiving a full-service delivery.

Unfortunately, that's not what I've been reading here on others doing Courtesy Deliveries. It's been reported that on occasion, the Chevrolet dealer doing the Courtesy Delivery, does little more than hand you the key fobs after the selling Chevrolet dealer authorizes them to release the new Corvette to you.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-19-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I paid $350 and they screwed up the PDI, but not as bad as they screwed it up with my C6 at least. On the C6 they jacked the car up by the body panels, and of course one broke. On my C7 Z51 they installed the center air dam. It ripped and fell off a few months ago!
Yep, I'm bringing my 4 aluminum jack pads with me for my preliminary visit and will see their reaction!

Fortunately when I had to bring my 2014 Z51 C7 in per GM's request to have the dif fluid level checked, the service schedule, told me when I said I put my jack pads in a clear plastic bag on the passenger seat, "Don't worry I'll only let them use the drive on alignment rack we recently cracked a Vette rocker panel!"

My experience is the service department is run as a separate business from car sales and if they think they can earn your business they will do a better job. I'll try to convey that possibility.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Skid Row Joe (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I would think there is a new car prep submittal form sent to GM for reimbursement by the Dealer. Currently the courtesy delivery charge paid by the customer is way to low to cover more than a wash job.
The selling dealer shouldn't collect money for doing nothing. Those monies/credit should instead by directed to the delivering Chevrolet dealer. For all we know, that's what is happening, behind the scenes. Doesn't make sense for the consumer to pay extra, to get less in any delivery scenario, as is the case now in some cases, according to buyers' testimonials here on-forum.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I think the biggest benefit the courtesy dealer gets is the hole for future warranty work and service opportunities. I haven't checked lately, but I think only one dealer in my area offers courtesy delivery. It isn't my preferred dealer, but ill at least offer them the opportunity to come close to a forum dealer's price before ordering.

Last edited by lgodom; 03-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The risk you take with courtesy delivery is that the dealer never made any money on the sale to begin with. Do you really think he will be extra careful with your car when it is in for service ?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

In my case, I'll be doing a Courtesy Delivery 250 miles from my home base, to get a reasonable price.

My experience is that the local Chevrolet dealers are clueless, or, downright combative to coming anywhere near matching an Internet Chevrolet dealer's selling price.

Service, from a local Chevy dealer on a new C7, will be a challenge, no matter who I buy the C7 from.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:16 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,889 Posts

No offense to anyone here, but I'd pay them not to touch my cars. Dealers generally have good intentions, but most clock-watching employees could care less about me and my cars
Skid Row Joe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Yep, I plan on telling them since I will be washing the car when I get it home and then using a clay bar, and several Zaino products, best if they do the minimum if anything.

I'll also mention NOT to add any oil as I'll also check the level when I get home and do what's necessary, if anything! I can see someone checking the oil after it's been sitting a few hours and seeing it a few quarts low filling to max! Then the ~2 quarts that drained back to the pan will overflow with the burped air into the intake when it's started!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-20-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
In my case, I'll be doing a Courtesy Delivery 250 miles from my home base, to get a reasonable price.

My experience is that the local Chevrolet dealers are clueless, or, downright combative to coming anywhere near matching an Internet Chevrolet dealer's selling price.

Service, from a local Chevy dealer on a new C7, will be a challenge, no matter who I buy the C7 from.
You are absolutely correct. I will never do a courtesy delivery again. My current dealer is great for fixing a Cruze but has no clue about the Corvette. You guys that get a courtesy delivery from a dealer that is not competent on Corvette will have a real interesting experience.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

The more I hear about some of these headaches, the more I think I will do a Museum Delivery after ordering from one of the big dealerships. From Kentucky, I'll either drive it home or have it shipped.

Supposedly the Museum PDI is outstanding.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
You are absolutely correct. I will never do a courtesy delivery again. My current dealer is great for fixing a Cruze but has no clue about the Corvette. You guys that get a courtesy delivery from a dealer that is not competent on Corvette will have a real interesting experience.
Within a 50 mile radius there are few dealers who sell many Corvettes! Many however have a C7 Certified mechanic. Preparing a car is not rocket science! I don't need much if anything done, which is why I am visiting the dealer who agreed to accept delivery and who I have checked and they are reportedly capable.

As soon as the car is home I will install the ceramic brake pads I already have and could install the side skirts and splitter if needed (I added aftermarket skirts and splitter on my 2014, drilled and riveted and they looked fine after 3 years.) I will wash it, clay bar and apply Zaino products as well so will ask that a minimum be done in the way of washing. I already have 10 quarts of Mobil oil ($3/quart with rebate) and PF64 filter ready to install at 500 miles!

I've always found if you ask questions and let them know you'll be checking and understand the possible issues, like overfilling a dry sump, the odds of it happening are lowered!

SIDE BAR: Dealer service quality is NOT just an issue upon delivery, frankly there is little they need to do for a Vette that is different than an Impala!

I'd worry more about oil changes! Assuming the dealer has a trained Certified C7 mechanic they are usually one of their best and can make more commission fixing a diesel truck than changing oil! Many dealers will have a mechanics helper (who may have been flipping burgers the month before) change oil. They may take the easy way out and pull the gun trigger on a hose that pumps oil from the 55 gallon drum of a dexos approved oil blend set at an estimated volume in a chart! They won't take the time to run the engine to get it hot and use a watch to check oil levels after 5 but before 10 minutes! If they allow the flow rate be as high as with a wet sump it will overflow the dry sump tank and some oil will spill behind the tank next to the cabin air filter on the firewall, hard to clean. Many posts about smelling oil for weeks after an oil change! Never smelled oil in my C6 Z51 or 2014 Z51, but I dis all my own oil changes!

IMO, it's NOT if they have the required skill mechanic, it's will that skill be used for what they consider a low margin job!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy delivery dealer compensation

Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

On one hand, you guys worry way too much. I had a courtesy delivery from a dealer that sells very few Corvettes, and they did just fine.

On the other hand, as a teenager I worked at a Ford dealership washing cars, and I know how abused the cars can get and how careless everyone is. My buddy's kid worked at a Chrysler dealership doing all of the new car prep test drives, all of 18 years old with a few months of experience working at a Sears installing batteries.
JerryU (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
460z51
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry,

You commented on alignment. When I got the 500 mile oil change, I had them do the 4 wheel alignment. To my surprise all came in with in spec. Being the car was shipped to Toledo Ohio, and then railed to Phoenix i figured alignment would of change. Good luck on finding a good courtesy dealer, looks like I got lucky on my part!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

The courtesy dealer that did mine doesn't sell Corvettes and they did exactly what they were supposed to do. Car was unmolested with 2mi. I thought I read somewhere the dealer gets $400ish from GM the PDI? Seems high, as some dealers sure balk at it. My courtesy dealer was gonna forgo the money from me but i gave it to him anyway.

Quick Reply: Courtesy delivery dealer compensation