Sponsored by:

Expectations exceeded at Spring Mountain 3/17-3/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Default Expectations exceeded at Spring Mountain 3/17-3/18

Long time no post, but I have to share the amazing experience I had at the Ron Fellows Driving School at Spring Mountain. Wow. Just wow. I know I'm not the first to come on here and rave about them, and I'm certain I won't be the last. My point in posting is to encourage anyone riding the fence, to jump off with both feet and make it happen. I waited almost a year after purchasing my 2016 DSOM Z06 Vert before making it to Spring Mountain. If you are debating the cost...find a way. This is an amazing bargain for what you receive, that both my wife and I enjoyed beyond words.

First, the instructors were great. Amazing, VERY capable, friendly, passionate and helpful. We had the benefit of hearing directly from head instructor Rick on Friday, and Tom stepped in on Saturday, but all of them from Jenny, Aaron, Larry, Kai, Cole and so many more were fantastic. I would put my self in the upper middle of the pack. Some were slower, some were faster, and the team did a great job of grouping like level drivers together.

Second, the site, the scenery and amenities were fantastic. While most of my mental energy and time on site went into the class, the grounds were amazing. The mountains were breathtaking.

Lastly, before sharing a few great photos, let me say that if my c7 Z06 was a dump trunk, I'm only asking it to carry a 40lb bag of concrete as a daily driver. This car is an absolute beast that was just glued to the track.

And here is one of the dash cam recordings from the last day...skip to 8:13 for some fun:

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-20-2017 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
1FASTVERT (03-21-2017), drclaw (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have yet to hear of anyone complaining about Ron Fellows COS It's an awesome school, can't believe why every new C7 owner doesn't attend.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hisvett
I have yet to hear of anyone complaining about Ron Fellows COS It's an awesome school, can't believe why every new C7 owner doesn't attend.
I think many don't want to invest in the plane ticket and car rental, but its well worth it. People in the class came from all over; from California, Atlanta, St. Louis, and Boston to Canada. One guy even admitted this school was the tipping point that helped him decide to pull the trigger on the Vette. Good stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

You don't seem to be wearing a helmet in the pictures, are they optional now?

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Long time no post, but I have to share the amazing experience I had at the Ron Fellows Driving School at Spring Mountain. Wow. Just wow. I know I'm not the first to come on here and rave about them, and I'm certain I won't be the last. My point in posting is to encourage anyone riding the fence, to jump off with both feet and make it happen. I waited almost a year after purchasing my 2016 DSOM Z06 Vert before making it to Spring Mountain. If you are debating the cost...find a way. This is an amazing bargain for what you receive, that both my wife and I enjoyed beyond words.

First, the instructors were great. Amazing, VERY capable, friendly, passionate and helpful. We had the benefit of hearing directly from head instructor Rick on Friday, and Tom stepped in on Saturday, but all of them from Jenny, Aaron, Larry, Kai, Cole and so many more were fantastic. I would put my self in the upper middle of the pack. Some were slower, some were faster, and the team did a great job of grouping like level drivers together.

Second, the site, the scenery and amenities were fantastic. While most of my mental energy and time on site went into the class, the grounds were amazing. The mountains were breathtaking.

Lastly, before sharing a few great photos, let me say that if my c7 Z06 was a dump trunk, I'm only asking it to carry a 40lb bag of concrete as a daily driver. This car is an absolute beast that was just glued to the track.

And here is one of the dash cam recordings from the last day...skip to 8:13 for some fun:

https://youtu.be/wv2xyTlXYHA?t=8m13s
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like you had a great time! I loved it too!
Big Lebowski (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 PM
sylvester66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ron Fellows

https://youtu.be/wv2xyTlXYHA?t=8m13s
I am going on 3/27-28. Very Excited. Thanks for posting your experience.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by itaylorm
You don't seem to be wearing a helmet in the pictures, are they optional now?
Good catch...no, not optional. I'm 6'4" and got a special waiver along with two other guys. With the helmet on, my chin was pressed to my chest. We did wear helmets for a few of the day one modules on the skid pad and oval, but they had to pop the top off. The down side is, this is about as far as my racing career will take me due to that fact. The upside is, I looked good in the pro shots, so there's that!
itaylorm (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM
1FASTVERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Congrats!!!! i am going to have to save up my pennies and go. Maybe next year. Thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like a great learning experience.
Big Lebowski (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Good catch...no, not optional. I'm 6'4" and got a special waiver along with two other guys. With the helmet on, my chin was pressed to my chest. We did wear helmets for a few of the day one modules on the skid pad and oval, but they had to pop the top off. The down side is, this is about as far as my racing career will take me due to that fact. The upside is, I looked good in the pro shots, so there's that!
I was in the same boat... 6'1" but tall upper body. I fit in my car just fine with my own helmet but couldn't fit with theirs. Roof off on the wet skidpad was..... fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SK360
I was in the same boat... 6'1" but tall upper body. I fit in my car just fine with my own helmet but couldn't fit with theirs. Roof off on the wet skidpad was..... fun.
Ha Ha, yes I agree. We were getting some spray from the skid pad, which was definately fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Very good! It is exactly one year ago that I attended. This is my first Corvette. Was a little unsure of myself and by attending this driving school I can drive it to its limits without fear of rolling, or spinning out.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

awesome!! thanks for posting and attending!
you were probably one of the first to drive some of our new 2017 z06's. What, do you all here think of the stripes we put on a few?
I didn't do the whole 2017 fleet like that, just a few...
Cheers!
itaylorm (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
you were probably one of the first to drive some of our new 2017 z06's. What, do you all here think of the stripes we put on a few?
Cheers!
I loved them! I bolted for the number 83 Admiral Blue with White stripes, but I like flashier Corvettes. You also had a white Z06 with Maroon / Red dual stripes and a Blue Grand Sport that was sharp too.

I could see conservative folks would probably prefer a car that emulates their personal taste, but I do think the "race car" setting gives guests an opportunity to try an aggressive / flashy combination on a Corvette that they might not purchase for daily use. I say keep them coming!

I had an amazing time...my friends and family are probably sick of hearing about it by now, because its all I can talk about!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 740 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by sylvester66
I am going on 3/27-28. Very Excited. Thanks for posting your experience.
Me too.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for posting the video! That's gonna move me off the fence to get off my butt and get out there!

By the way, how awesome is this instructor? The guy doesn't get upset, gives clear instruction--he knows how to teach!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drclaw
Thanks so much for posting the video! That's gonna move me off the fence to get off my butt and get out there!

By the way, how awesome is this instructor? The guy doesn't get upset, gives clear instruction--he knows how to teach!
Glad to hear it...the PDR is an awesome tool, and All of the instructors were fantastic! All direction was spot on and constructive...better yet, they helped you push your skills in a constructive way.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 PM
sylvester66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ron Fellows

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Me too.
Look forward to meeting you!!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

see you in two weeks
Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
Cheers!

Get notified of new replies

To Expectations exceeded at Spring Mountain 3/17-3/18