Welp, I'm about to enter the market, and need help on the search

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Welp, I'm about to enter the market, and need help on the search

Greetings, all!

As way of introduction, I'm the 2nd owner of a '00 Nassau Blue FRC as you can see in my sig. She's a fantastic car, having been autocrossed for around 8 years before retiring to a life as our cruiser (the autox duties having been assumed by my LS1 Miata). I've been around CF since late 2000 (before my NB came into our lives, hence the user name Vettedr(ea)mr.

Anyway, my wife and I have been saving up and are about to get started looking seriously for a C7 to add to the stable. Priorities are:

1. M7 Coupe
2. Z51
3. Laguna or Admiral Blue (not a real fan of the midnight blue)

After that it gets real flexible. We've only got about $40K to spend right now, but we've been saving for several years, so if we're not there yet we'll just keep saving until the prices and our savings meet up.

So, my question is: "what are the best sites to use to find a good selection of cars?" Autotrader.com seems to be about the best single site I've used, but there are a bunch out there. What have y'all used?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 03-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Mike,

Take a look at our in-stock Z51 Coupes:

http://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleSear...pe%20Z51%203LT

We also have this pre-owned 2015 Z51 3LT Coupe:

http://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleDeta...-NH/2938914103

All of our Corvettes are stored in-doors, we have no dealer documentation fees or other add-ons, and can easily arrange shipping for you if that's what you choose.

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Last edited by MacMulkin; 03-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I don't think "used" is as good bargain as it would appear on the surface right now with the 20%+ discounts being offered now on new ones. People who bought when discounts were 10 and less percent often price their cars w/o consideration to the current market. You might want to consider a new 1LT as opposed to a used 2 or 3LT-might not be that be a spread in price.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I don't think "used" is as good bargain as it would appear on the surface right now with the 20%+ discounts being offered now on new ones. People who bought when discounts were 10 and less percent often price their cars w/o consideration to the current market. You might want to consider a new 1LT as opposed to a used 2 or 3LT-might not be that be a spread in price.
I disagree. I found a 2016 Z51 with 2663 miles on it for 29% off MSRP. At the time new 2017 Z51's had about a 14.5% discount off MSRP and leftover 2016 Z51's were anywhere from 17-22% off. The ones that were 22% off were really limited on color and options and most of them had things like chrome wheels, stripes, 3LT package, etc (things I did not want) that jacked up the price.

OP, you can find lots of used Z51's out there, some in the colors you like. I don't think $40K will get it done. I think you are looking at $44-48K range. I got my 2016 Z51 1LT w/magnetic ride/NAV/PDR/black wheels for $47K and change. MSRP price on my car was $67K and change.

Expand your search radius as broad as possible.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 AM
portis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats the beginning of your search for the C7 Mike. I'm a big fan of cargurus.com and used it heavily during my search for my used 2015. It's nice because you can specifically search out trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) based on the specific car (Z51, GS, Z06). It allows a much more specific search whereas some of the larger sites may not give that amount of detail. Some of the forum dealers have great deals on used C7's as well.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by portis; 03-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drclaw (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by portis
Congrats the beginning of your search for the C7 Mike. I'm a big fan of cargurus.com and used it heavily during my search for my used 2015. It's nice because you can specifically search out trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 3LT) based on the specific car (Z51, GS, Z06). It allows a much more specific search whereas some of the larger sites may not give that amount of detail. Some of the forum dealers have great deals on used C7's as well.

Great point. I used autotrader.com, cars.com. cargurus.com and searched Craigslist. There is also Ebay.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 841 Posts

cargurus.com
classifieds on CF forum
$40k probably will not get you there now. One more year...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Plus, this IS the time of year to be selling, not buying (think: Spring leading to Summer in many parts of the US). If you want the best deals on used, Winter is usually the time of year.

As to used vs. new, it all depends. One can find some very aggressive deals on new cars where there are "no stories" about the car which you might find in a used car. But, someone who really has to sell their used Stingray NOW can be very, very aggressive esp. if that $700 monthly payment (or more) is looming in their face.

My advice: search all the big dealers (like the ones on CF: Criswell, Les Stanford, Van Bortel, MacMulkin, etc.), small ones nearer to you, cars.com, autotrader, here on CF Cars For Sale in C7, car gurus, etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

I recommend Z51, Mag Ride and 2LT. If a dash/track cam is something you would like then you must look for a 2015+ with Nav/PDR (Performance Data Recorder). Z51 is a no-brainer for not much more than a base/non-Z51, it includes bigger brakes, wheels and tires, stiffer suspension, rear sway bar, trans and diff coolers, electronic diff, etc... Combine Z51 with Mag Ride and now you have the Performance Traction Management System which is 1 of the best in the world. If you're a driver, Z51 is a must, and strongly consider Mag Ride. If you don't care about those items then you can save some coin and go with a base/non-Z51 model. Good luck, it is fun shopping for a Vette!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

$40K is getting close. Cars.com shows 68 used blue M7 C7s starting at just over 41.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

So, my question is: "what are the best sites to use to find a good selection of cars?" Autotrader.com seems to be about the best single site I've used, but there are a bunch out there. What have y'all used?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike[/QUOTE]

I would try to find a car right here on the Forum.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:54 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by portis

I recommend Z51, Mag Ride and 2LT. If a dash/track cam is something you would like then you must look for a 2015+ with Nav/PDR (Performance Data Recorder). Z51 is a no-brainer for not much more than a base/non-Z51, it includes bigger brakes, wheels and tires, stiffer suspension, rear sway bar, trans and diff coolers, electronic diff, etc... Combine Z51 with Mag Ride and now you have the Performance Traction Management System which is 1 of the best in the world. If you're a driver, Z51 is a must, and strongly consider Mag Ride.
Plus, this IS the time of year to be selling, not buying (think: Spring leading to Summer in many parts of the US). If you want the best deals on used, Winter is usually the time of year.
My advice: search all the big dealers (like the ones on CF: Criswell, Les Stanford, Van Bortel, MacMulkin, etc.), small ones nearer to you, cars.com, autotrader, here on CF Cars For Sale in C7, car gurus, etc.
Thanks, everyone, for your posts, especially for the reminder about looking for Mag Ride w/Z51 (totally forgot about that one!).

I've read about all the great deals on new C7s, but honestly, I don't see those getting down into my budget. And I understand that 40K may not be doable right now, but that's what I've got to work with. We're working on selling some stuff that'll help, but it could take some time. And I understand about spring/winter, but IMO that's no reason to not start the search now.

I've been going through the CF sale forum, but honestly the search function doesn't (or at least I don't know how to) work well in this scenario. But y'all gave me some great sites to start digging through.

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 03-22-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: stupid sentence stuff...
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 PM
wattleskin
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default carsforsale.com

carsforsale.com
You type in make, type, and color, you get just the Vette you want in locations all over the U.S. $1000 to haul the car enclosed to you (estimate) You can get a low mileage one if that's what you are looking for. Price will cary with miles,etc. That's how I bought mine. Worked great. Many cars to choose from.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM
LimeRock
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I used Autotrader to find my used 2014.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:03 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Default Well, that didn't take long!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-sister.html

Thanks, everyone, for all the help, and have a good one!

Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 04-01-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Welp, I'm about to enter the market, and need help on the search

Quick Reply: Welp, I'm about to enter the market, and need help on the search