Sponsored by:

iPhone navigation

Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default iPhone navigation

Excuse my ignorance but can you use your IPhone navigation (GOOGLE MAPS) instead of the GM NAV? Meaning, can I have the I-phone Nav appear on the screen in the car? If so, can you walk me thru how to do that?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

No. What year? 2015+ has Apple CarPlay and you can use the Apple Maps.

I've got this I'm going to install so I can mirror Waze/Google...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5JGNPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5JGNPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

No you can't. If you have a 2016 or later then you can use your iPhone and CarPlay (and thus the often reported inferior mapping application Apple Maps) and that will project onto the big screen. But you cannot project Google Maps (unless you ditch the iPhone and get an Android phone).
Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thank you... I have a 2017 Z-06..... I will try the APPLE CAR PLAY.....
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Apple CarPlay works real good and I do use it in my 2016 Colorado without navigation. I have factory navigation in the 2017 and find factory navigation to be superior.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
sabasigh
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lol, sorry just a cursory glance at that product and i immediately think that's a box of Chinese/Russian trojans to infect your car AND your home network.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That looks interesting but the vette doesn't have any a/v inputs. I'm not sure what you're going to plug that into.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

While CarPlay may work well, I've heard several people complain about Apple Maps. I have not similarly heard complains about Google Maps. The OP is an iPhone user and asking about Google Maps. So he's probably not that as interested in Apple Maps than Google Maps. Now it's my understanding that if you have an iPhone you can't display Google Maps through CarPlay. So he'll need to switch to Apple Maps. (Maybe Apple Maps works great - I don't know. I have Android).
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

It work as long as you have a signal, then the map goes away but the gps still tracks on a blank map.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:12 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sabasigh
Lol, sorry just a cursory glance at that product and i immediately think that's a box of Chinese/Russian trojans to infect your car AND your home network.
Woof! I may need to look for other options. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Might be time to switch to Android.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
While CarPlay may work well, I've heard several people complain about Apple Maps. I have not similarly heard complains about Google Maps.
Of the iOS GPS apps I've used I'd rate them as:

1. Waze
1a. Google Maps
2. Tom Tom
3. Navigon
4. Apple Maps

Waze is great if you live in a densely populated area with lots of other wazers; it's one flaw is that it doesn't weight turns (especially left turns) enough. Google maps sometimes gives better routes than Waze (thanks to less turns) but can't beat the real time traffic/notifications of Waze. Tom Tom and Navigon are pretty comparable and I rate Apple Maps as the worst of the lot. In urban environments it tends to not give verbal turn instructions until you are right on top of the turns, and gives no indication that it considers highway traffic (never mind local traffic).

That said with Apple CarPlay it's all you have until Apple opens it up.
The following users liked this post:
bigsapper (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Smooth9883
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow I'm surprised by the lack of faith in apple maps. I've tried many different apps and it seems apple has finally dialed it in. The Nav on the car is not the best. If you have XM traffic it does okay re-routing but it doesn't always give the fastest route. The only advantage to the built in nav is seeing the directions on the HUD.

Early apple maps were not very good. I would argue though apple maps as of late does a great job. Combined with frequent locations, calendar, and the rest of iOS integration getting places has never been easier. It's really nice plugging into CarPlay and having suggested routes to work based off of traffic conditions waiting for me to choose which way I want to go. I love that it reads my calendar and based off of that will suggest destinations. No more digging for address or having to type in destinations. Also having the option to have an ETA vs full guidance is nice as well. Both CarPlay and apple maps have come a long way.

There is still room for improvement but it's definitely something that adds value.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm a big Apple fan, with everything they've ever produced, but usually use Waze on my iPhone. I think Apple Maps has gotten better, but just this past weekend, I tried Apple Maps in a rental car, tried to navigate to a business location, and it had me arriving in wooded area, with no businesses in sight.

The actual location was 3 miles away, and after changing to Waze, it took me to the correct location. Apple Maps is still unreliable on occasion.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

My favorite navigation is my 2017 Rand McNally Road atlas. WAZE is excellent. Apple maps started slow but have since caught Google maps. Only thing I want to see on the main screen is WAZE.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm sure we would all be glad to see your review of the product. It would be REALLY helpful if you can include your How-To install.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ I assumed it had RCA cable inputs, but apparently not. I'll have to hunt around for something else. The NAvTool would be perfect if you're looking to add cameras, but otherwise, the price/product is too much for just mirroring.

Get notified of new replies

To iPhone navigation

Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 PM
McRCN
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Waze is pretty cool to use. The latest version of Apple Maps is really good.

Went to see my son in NC and was using Google Maps. Did pretty well until near the end and it could not find his street. Took us on a wild goose chase. Switched to Apple Maps and took us right to the house. YMMV

They all work great until they don't. Lol

Last edited by McRCN; 03-21-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth9883
Early apple maps were not very good. I would argue though apple maps as of late does a great job.
My wife and I both have iPhones and both cars have CarPlay so we've been using Apple Maps a lot lately, but we still prefer Waze and Google Maps. All my criticisms of Apple Maps are based on having used it vs. the others in the past month (before getting CarPlay cars neither of us ever used Apple Maps).

Honestly if you live in a heavy traffic area (like I do in Boston) and travel during rush hour nothing beats Waze's traffic knowledge of the side roads. Every time I've blown it off and declared I knew how to get there a better way I've slammed into a traffic wall.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Your experience is identical to mine. Waze is remarkable in heavy urban traffic. In less traveled areas, it's no different than any other nav.

During rush hours in metro Wash, DC, there are about 30K users on-line, all of whose speeds are being used by Waze to determine where slow-downs are occurring in real time. No one has to report anything for Waze to see where congestion is occurring.

One of the most remarkable things about it is how instantly it reroutes you because it has such real-time info. In my commute to DC, I'm sometimes re-routed 3-4 times in a 30-mile, one-way commute. Like you, almost every time, I've blown it off and continued on my preferred route, I've usually payed the price in longer travel times.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone navigation