C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could Active Aerodynamics Debut on the C7 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 PM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Default Could Active Aerodynamics Debut on the C7 Corvette?

An interesting article posted over at the Corvette Action Center regarding GM possibly working on an active aerodynamics system for the Corvette:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-the-corvette/

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Bring it on!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:01 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

ZR1 needs it or it's behind the times.

If the 4 door saloon Guilia can get active aero, the top dog Vette sure as hell should.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

What's wrong with me? I've been lusting after the 505 HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio lately.
The following users liked this post:
\Boost Monkey/ (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

What's wrong, or what's the down side of putting the best fixed aero package on the car in the first place and leave the cool concepts to the other brands? Concepts that add moving parts, added weight, and failure potentials. I'm usually of the mind that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just sayin.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 AM
KoolCorvette
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
ZR1 needs it or it's behind the times.

If the 4 door saloon Guilia can get active aero, the top dog Vette sure as hell should.
Im sure if any car gets active aero it will be the ZR-1 and im sure its going to be more of a test for the version installed in the mid engine car. Look for the ZR-1 to be the test bed for several new features slated for the mid engine car.

Last edited by KoolCorvette; 03-24-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Long overdue
Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frodo
What's wrong, or what's the down side of putting the best fixed aero package on the car in the first place and leave the cool concepts to the other brands? Concepts that add moving parts, added weight, and failure potentials. I'm usually of the mind that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just sayin.

Nothing wrong with fixed aero, just look at every race car there is. Or for production cars with outstanding fixed aero look at the ACR.

I just think the top dog vette should get it to put it a step closer to many of the supercars that now carry active aero, and the more and more that come each year. It's becoming the norm on supercars, and the Vette should have at least some high tech.

Not to mentions, for all the Vette owners that cry and cry over large fixed wings (unlike most brand followings), active aero should be a big welcome as the large wing would only deploy when conditions warrant... Not at the local car show in the McDonalds parking lot.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 03-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
What's wrong with me? I've been lusting after the 505 HP Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio lately.
Me too. Next time I go to Vegas, I'm gonna try to find one to rent. Biz has gotten off to a slow start this year, so more of a pipe dream for me. It would make for a rather bithin' daily driver.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I can see your point, Boost. If we want to look like a super car we need that super car stuff, no matter that it doesn't help a street car. The Corvette isn't a super car, though. Its a production Chevrolet.

I can see the new posts coming in now. "My splitter didn't retract and now I've busted it on a speed bump". I don't need it nor does my Corvette, I guess is my point. I don't need Lambo doors, either. Another super car trait that doesn't need duplication. I'm just sayin. (in a friendly way )
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

One advantage of active aero in the case of the retractable/deployable front air splitter, as seen on the aforementioned Giulia Quadrifoglio, is prevention of damage by speed bump, curb etc.

Jaguar F-Types have had retractable rear spoilers since 2013 introduction, and of course Porsche has been doing this for decades.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

One advantage of active aero in the case of the retractable/deployable front air splitter, as seen on the aforementioned Giulia Quadrifoglio, is prevention of damage by speed bump, curb etc.

Funny you mention that, I thought of this exact same thing as an advantage for the Giulia after recently scraping the hell out of the bottom of my Stage 2 Z06 carbon fiber front splitter, and subsequently seeing the Giulia commercial again.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Nothing wrong with you. It's a very impressive machine for a four door sedan. Really put down some strong numbers at the Ring.
Foosh (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Jaguar F-Types have had retractable rear spoilers since 2013 introduction, and of course Porsche has been doing this for decades.
Chrysler Crossfire had one also.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What is really interesting is that the AMG GT S has an active aero rear spoiler, but when they upped the downforce on the AMG GT R, while at the same time lowering the car's coefficient of drag below the base AMG GT, they went with a manually adjustable, non automatic, non active, rear spoiler(wing). Also, the fixed rear wing on the AMG GT R is mounted to the steel hatch lid, so it is raised when the hatch is opened, making for easy access to the rear hatch cargo area, meaning it is more user friendly at the grocery store.

They also skipped having a movable active aero front splitter, like what is used on the Giulia and went with a front belly pan that is active and lowers at speed. The movable belly pan is spring loaded so hitting something isn't going to damage it, and it doesn't stick out in front of the car to get damaged by parking curbs, etc.

"Aerodynamics engineers and designers worked together more intensively than ever during development of the new AMG GT R. All elements have an inherent technical benefit and contribute to the enhanced driving dynamics, while the aerodynamics experts have made the designers’ wishes a reality. A special engineering feat is the completely new active aerodynamics profile, which is concealed almost invisibly in the underbody in front of the engine. At a speed of 50 MPH in RACE mode, this carbon component automatically moves downward by about 1.6" and changes the airflow considerably. This process results in what is known as the Venturi effect, which additionally “sucks” the car onto the road and reduces front-axle lift by around 88 pounds at 155 MPH.

The driver can feel this in the steering: the AMG GT R is even more precise to steer when cornering at high speed and exhibits even better directional stability. In addition, the drag coefficient is improved."

Even my old low tech Mercedes 4 door sedan has the front belly pan to smooth out the air flow under the engine and reduce aero drag. It just isn't lowered automatically at 50 MPH like the latest AMG GT R.

The minimal(meaning less to go wrong) active aero on the AMG GT R is quite impressive as it put down a 7:10.92 run on the Ring, with a measly 577 HP from a small 4L V8.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-24-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Foosh (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:21 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Some additional information with graphics on the active aero concept.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/...r-c7-corvette/
Old 03-27-2017, 04:35 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Like many things in life, there is a difference between WANTING and HAVING... better to just WANT... living with the Italian will be a challenge... trust me... i married one...

Get notified of new replies

To Could Active Aerodynamics Debut on the C7 Corvette?

Quick Reply: Could Active Aerodynamics Debut on the C7 Corvette?