Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint cure before clay bar and wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I asked the dealer to keep the white transport shrink wrap on it so I have my car preserved for the next person who buy's it.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Why would you clay and polish a brand new unblemished finish?
I took museum delivery of mine and immediately transported in an enclosed trailer to my detailer. Everyone can believe what they wish, but mine needed the clay bar in advance of the paint correction then Expel Ultimate application. I then had Opti Pro applied to the whole car and wheels. I also took my new truck and had the same treatment performed minus the Expel. My new Z06 will get the same treatment. The Clay bar is a cheap process that adds to the smoothness of the finish.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

no reason a new paint job needs this
wash and drive
Not required......but you will see and like the results! I have a feeling you have never done it so you don't see the need. I didn't either until I bought my C7.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:18 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm decontaminating mine as soon as it gets home and also will not allow the dealer to wash it before delivery.

1.Wash w/foam gun and two bucket method
2. spray with iron x
3. Rinse
4. Wash with nanoskin kit
5. correct any scratches
6. Wolfgang prep spray
7. Ceramic coat

Bought a new fine nanoskin kit from amazon and the rest from auto geek. My paint is going to be marvelous!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Unless there's some sort of foreign grit bonded to your new car's finish - all you need do is wash with water fortified with a neutral detergent concentrate, rinse, dry, then apply a polish finish to the surfaces. I use Wizards Mist N Shine spray. That's it. Wizards products are non-petrochems, so you're not having to breathe those harmful to the respiratory system petro-vapors, while applying their products.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-25-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

you can use any polish on new paint. do not seal or apply wax for at least 2 weeks.

for those who believe factory paint is hardened as soon as it leaves the plant? why do you think this? like the scene from my cousin vinny "do grits cook faster in your house than everywhere else?"

it's still outgassing and curing like anywhere else. whether or not it does any harm? who knows but those instructions were told to me after having an expensive paint job done and the guy who did it laughed when i mentioned "not like a factory paint job huh?

Good luck OP.. you could wash it with an iron X type wash and polish your heart away for about a month. why take a risk? is it worth it?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I recently had the owner of a high-end body shop tell me that waiting 60-90 days is a smart thing to do. He said that though modern paints "cure" very quickly, there is still some "outgassing" as part of the curing process, and that further hardening does occur for a couple months after new paint.

It's probably a minor difference, but I've always waited at least 3 months after a build date before doing anything other than a light polish.
I had my paint and body man do so work on my Jeep. He said to wait at least 90 days.

Quick Reply: Paint cure before clay bar and wax?