Transport vs courtesy delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Transport vs courtesy delivery

I don't see any discussions about this after 2015. Out of state dealer is recommending I have (new build) C7 shipped to them from GM so that they can take delivery of car and inspect. Then have the car transported to me. They said that when doing courtesy delivery, many have headaches because if there is damage, receiving dealer often does not want to make effort at resolving problem because they didn't sell the car. Also if there are any paint blemishes etc. all will be taken car of by out of state receiving dealer. Says that GM is more likely to fix any problems with them, because they are top corvette dealer and want to keep them happy.

Since the covered transport will be from one coast to the other...transport cost wont be cheap. But if that truly if the best way to go, then the difference in cost between courtesy delivery and transport would probably be worth it. I understand that I would also have to pay to smog the car, get a vin verification, and perhaps do additional paperwork as far as taxes paid back east and taxes due in my state.

If the car is damaged during transport, do you then have to battle with transport company? or is this a rare occurrence? Which route have most of you taken and what are your opinions about the best method of receiving an out of state car?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:32 PM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by lro
I don't see any discussions about this after 2015. Out of state dealer is recommending I have (new build) C7 shipped to them from GM so that they can take delivery of car and inspect. Then have the car transported to me. They said that when doing courtesy delivery, many have headaches because if there is damage, receiving dealer often does not want to make effort at resolving problem because they didn't sell the car. Also if there are any paint blemishes etc. all will be taken car of by out of state receiving dealer. Says that GM is more likely to fix any problems with them, because they are top corvette dealer and want to keep them happy.

Since the covered transport will be from one coast to the other...transport cost wont be cheap. But if that truly if the best way to go, then the difference in cost between courtesy delivery and transport would probably be worth it. I understand that I would also have to pay to smog the car, get a vin verification, and perhaps do additional paperwork as far as taxes paid back east and taxes due in my state.

If the car is damaged during transport, do you then have to battle with transport company? or is this a rare occurrence? Which route have most of you taken and what are your opinions about the best method of receiving an out of state car?
Give our Corvette Team a call at 603-888-1121 and we'd be more than happy to talk to you about shipping and courtesy deliveries.

We ship Corvettes at least once per week. I just took the snap shot below. We have 5 Corvettes being loaded at the time of this posting!
Attached Images  

Corvette Sales & Incentives

The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 04:48 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Lots of things depend on the dealership and/or the shipping company.
In my case, none of the dealerships here wanted to do courtesy delivery.
And, the ones nearby only wanted to punish me for not buying the vehicle from their lot.
So, shipping was the better option. In many cases, the cost is the same or even less.
Then again, I never planned going any other route.

lro (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

You left a third choice out. Pick it up at the selling dealer and drive it home. You get to make your first road trip and break it in at the same time. I saved about 50% on shipping costs. I didn't slum it on the hotels and ate well. If you have friends along the way you might save more sleeping on a couch or two.
The following 2 users liked this post by KemahGT:
JimNeedsC7 (03-24-2017), lro (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

ADMAN thanks! Wow, sad to hear that no one wanted to do courtesy delivery in your area. I am just a few hour south of you in Ca. I imagine there should be at least one in my area that would accept. But I might be in the same boat as you. Transport is about $2200. I figure dealers will at least charge me $500 to $700. But dealer said some are asking for more. So really not that much difference. Perhaps a longer wait time for pick up of vehicle from dealer as opposed to Factory? Just wanted to see if there was a clear "better" choice.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

KemahGT...I wish it were an option...but sadly it is not.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

My courtesy delivery was painless. Would do it again... As always, pick a good dealership.

Last edited by slickstick; 03-24-2017 at 05:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by slickstick:
beaversstonehaven (04-21-2017), BOBSZ06 (03-26-2017), lro (03-24-2017), Maxie2U (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:07 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That's the thing..."good dealership".....
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lro
That's the thing..."good dealership".....
Ask around here, forum members in your area will point you in the right direction.
lro (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you! Good point....the closest dealerships surrounding me would be Ontario, Upland, and Fontana , California, ...but I would really travel anywhere (within reason) for better service/price.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You'll get it faster with a transport if that matters to you. A courtesy delivery to California rides the train here.
lro (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM
RaceMic
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I looked at all the options mentioned above, and after careful consideration, what worked best for me was Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City. They had the car I wanted and gave me close to what the Hyper Dealers back East were offering. I picked it up and drove it home the same day. No shipping costs (which would have negated any savings), only 300 miles on the odo, and I didn't have to wring my hands waiting for a transport. Boardwalk has the largest inventory on the Left Coast. It's a little farther drive for you, but well worth it.
lro (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
Give our Corvette Team a call at 603-888-1121 and we'd be more than happy to talk to you about shipping and courtesy deliveries.

We ship Corvettes at least once per week. I just took the snap shot below. We have 5 Corvettes being loaded at the time of this posting!
And one of those was mine.

Transporting is a piece of cake. And Intercity does a great job. This is my 2nd Corvette being shipped by them and I've had no problems whatsoever.
The following 3 users liked this post by Myfourth1:
lro (03-25-2017), MacMulkin (03-27-2017), probono (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Iro, That's a tough call for you to make, not knowing the outcome @ a Courtesy Delivery Chev. dealer near you. $2,200.00 is a lot of money to pay for cross-country delivery. .....but, it's only a call you can make. Me? I'd opt for the Courtesy Delivery. Good luck on your decision. Best!
lro (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

How about a fourth option have it transported to the Corvette museum spend the day there and then driving home from the Corvette museum that's almost the middle of the country?

that is what I would do if it were in Reverse this way I get to see the museum and do a plant tour and then drive my brand new Corvette home good luck
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
lro (03-25-2017), Stingray Sam (10-25-2020), Supercrewbear (04-20-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I ordered a 2017 through MacMulkin a few weeks ago and it is set up for a Courtesy Deliver to a local dealer for $500.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxp:
lro (03-25-2017), Maxie2U (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 PM
vetteorama
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^Ditto. My thought was if the dealership is known to have a good rep for courtesy deliveries, I'd rather put the extra few grand into the car....i.e. more options, xpel wrap, custom steering wheel...etc. I'm ok with it taking a bit longer....gives me more time to get my ducks in a row.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteorama:
lro (03-25-2017), Maxie2U (03-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Transport vs courtesy delivery

Old 03-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

First off I call BS on the dealer who told you, "when doing courtesy delivery, many have headaches because if there is damage, receiving dealer often does not want to make effort at resolving problems because they didn't sell the car." Fact is, if the car is damaged while enroute to you after it ships from him he will not do a dam thing but tell you they are not responsible so you'll be battling with the shipper.

I placed my factory order with MacMulkin and had them arrange for a courtesy delivery from Bowling Green direct to my local dealer. I just gave MacMulkin the name of my local dealer they handled the rest. The reason I selected this method over having the car shipped to MacMulkin then to me was for two reasons.

First, it would have taken an extra week or more to have the car shipped from Bowling Green to New Hampshire then shipped to Oregon. It also meant having the car loaded and unloaded multiple times.

Second reason, it's much cheaper to have the car shipped directly from the factory in Bowling Green to your local dealer since courtesy delivery changes run between $300 - $500. Compared to transporters who charge $2200+. Also I did not want to get caught in the middle if the transporter damaged the car after it shipped from MacMulkin to me.

Just know as part of the courtesy delivery the dealer near you will inspect the car so there is no need to have it shipped to the dealer you purchased it from then reshipped to you. The fact is you want the car fully inspected just before you pick it up.

BTW, I developed an extensive pre-acceptance checklist entitled, "Must Do's BEFORE paying for the car & the courtesy delivery". If you are interested PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 03-25-2017 at 12:12 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
lro (03-25-2017), maxp (03-25-2017), Red C8 of Jax (03-26-2017), Skid Row Joe (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:48 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
First off I call BS on the dealer who told you, "when doing courtesy delivery, many have headaches because if there is damage, receiving dealer often does not want to make effort at resolving problems because they didn't sell the car." Fact is, if the car is damaged while enroute to you after it ships from him he will not do a dam thing but tell you they are not responsible so you'll be battling with the shipper.

I placed my factory order with MacMulkin and had them arrange for a courtesy delivery from Bowling Green direct to my local dealer. I just gave MacMulkin the name of my local dealer they handled the rest. The reason I selected this method over having the car shipped to MacMulkin then to me was for two reasons.

First, it would have taken an extra week or more to have the car shipped from Bowling Green to New Hampshire then shipped to Oregon. It also meant having the car loaded and unloaded multiple times.

Second reason, it's much cheaper to have the car shipped directly from the factory in Bowling Green to your local dealer since courtesy delivery changes run between $300 - $500. Compared to transporters who charge $2200+. Also I did not want to get caught in the middle if the transporter damaged the car after it shipped from MacMulkin to me.

Just know as part of the courtesy delivery the dealer near you will inspect the car so there is no need to have it shipped to the dealer you purchased it from then reshipped to you. The fact is you want the car fully inspected just before you pick it up.

BTW, I developed an extensive pre-acceptance checklist entitled, "Must Do's BEFORE paying for the car & the courtesy delivery". If you are interested PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
If you use a good shipper, such as Intercity or Plycar, there is far less chance of anything happening to the car than using a courtesy delivery dealer who doesn't really care or does not prep a lot of Corvettes.

I was far more comfortable having MacMulkin prep my car and ship it to me. The only dealer who would do a courtesy delivery was 150 miles away and they sell maybe one Corvette a month. I wasn't interested in having them mount the ground effects, splitter, and cleaning the car if it's not something they do all the time to Corvettes. Also, it would have been an extra month and several loadings on and off trucks and rail cars to get to the dealer in Lake Havasu. Again, more opportunity for damage and rail dust (look up stories about that nightmare).

As it turned out, the car showed up on time and was absolutely flawless. If it wasn't winter, I would have driven the car home myself, but this option turned out great and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
lro (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Lots of things depend on the dealership and/or the shipping company.
In my case, none of the dealerships here wanted to do courtesy delivery.
And, the ones nearby only wanted to punish me for not buying the vehicle from their lot.
So, shipping was the better option. In many cases, the cost is the same or even less.
Then again, I never planned going any other route.
Had the same experience with my '08. No one would do it, even one 60 miles away. Tried for my Grand Sport and got some, what's that! Then found a great small Chevy Dealer. Turns out they do a lot of it for the local large company with ~3000+ employees. They also have a Ford Dealership next to the Chevy Dealership 25 miles away. They were happy to do it. When I called they gave me the controller NOT a salesman.

Originally Posted by slickstick
My courtesy delivery was painless. Would do it again... As always, pick a good dealership.
Hoping for the same performance. I was apprehensive until I visited the dealership this week who agreed to do Courtesy Delivery for $300. Met the Controller who arranges and manages the deliveries and he told me he does quite a few for several local companies including the largest with ~3000 employees. Met with the relatively young service manager. His wife has a 2016 Vette! She also did not want them to wash it and detailed it herself, as will I.

He told me only his top master mechanic will touch the Vette! I am confident if there is a problem they will handle it with GM. They do sell Vette and have one on order for inventory. He told me he tried to get them to order a Grand sport buy they bought a base model. Funny as typical around our rural area in their small showroom they had two large 4 door trucks all tricked out. One had a sticker about what I pasi for the Grand Sport!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2017 at 02:27 AM.
lro (03-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Transport vs courtesy delivery