Sponsored by:

How many have their certificate of origin

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:02 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,144 Likes on 3,377 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I wrote to my state DOL. we'll see if they answer.
I paid cash and had a courtesy delivery from MacMulkin to my local dealer in CA who filled out the registration information. I have mine.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:35 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

I made a scan of mine before I submitted the original to the DMV in exchange for the title.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I got one for my 16 stingray
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 AM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

I use a title service, they charge a few bucks but there is never a line. When I took in the paperwork for thd GS CE, I asked about getting the MSO back. I got a call a couple of weeks later telling me I could come by and pick it up. Apparently IL does not keep them once the title is issued.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I took mine to the CA DMV today. The counter clerk said they shred them after they are processed and will not return them. She did offer to photocopy it for me, but I told her I already had a scanned copy :-)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm sure you'll find most people here have a copy. I do too

Old 04-12-2017, 10:40 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I wrote to my DMV. They inform me that the certificate is "imaged" in their computer system and then the physical certificate is shredded. Now, for WA, you know.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
I'm sure you'll find most people here have a copy. I do too
I'd say many do, but not most. Most purchase their car from a dealer in the same state and let the dealer do the registration for them, in those cases they are likely never to see this document.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
My 2016 Z06 was a museum delivery car ordered through MacMulkin so I had to take the paperwork to the local DMV office after the drive home. I had all of the forms filled out and printed via the online portal so I was expecting a fairly painless DMV visit; I should have known better. The DMV agent used my forms to fill out the exact same form in the office via very slow one finger typing and I sort of waved goodbye to that pretty little CoO as he took it. Shortly after I got home the DMV called because they couldn't find my CoO and thought it had been given back to me. I knew that wasn't the case and suggested they conduct a more thorough search and one of the other agents found it on the floor.

The buying experience through MacMulkin and the NCM was exceptional so that offset the pain of dealing with the DMV. As Meatloaf says, two out of three ain't bad
So all NCM deliveries provide you with that CoO document to bring back?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm not sure that is necessarily true. I imagine that in the state of KY where they are located they can process the DMV paperwork. There may be other states that they can as well, I don't know for certain though.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default arghhhhh......

Every time I scroll through posts and see this one I get frustrated. I had my COO from MacMulkin in a folder with all my other documentation in preparation to get the car registered. I forgot to make a copy of the COO and it's gone now since I registered the car Monday. I wanted to make a color copy and have it laminated along with my window sticker and build sheet. Oh well....missed opportunity....arghhh....
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by john m
I use a title service, they charge a few bucks but there is never a line. When I took in the paperwork for thd GS CE, I asked about getting the MSO back. I got a call a couple of weeks later telling me I could come by and pick it up. Apparently IL does not keep them once the title is issued.
Interesting....I registered my GS on Monday via a 3rd party. Maybe I can go back and ask them for a copy, thanks.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fumbling
When I did my NCM pick up my car was paid for at the dealer, DMV (NY) paperwork done before I left for BG. My insurance was in affect and I brought my license plate with me. The museum staff checked out very diligently all my paperwork! No mention about CoO!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:17 PM
fumbling
Pro

I think this is an exceptionally cool document, everyone has the window sticker but I've never seen this type of form before.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

No. The NCM has nothing to do with the CoO except they may want to see it. The CoO is a GM document that starts the ball rolling with respect to getting an official title from your state. I turned my CoO in to the state and got iicense plates and registration before I went to NCM and they accepted those just fine.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:50 PM
fumbling
Pro

Originally Posted by mschuyler
No. The NCM has nothing to do with the CoO except they may want to see it. The CoO is a GM document that starts the ball rolling with respect to getting an official title from your state. I turned my CoO in to the state and got iicense plates and registration before I went to NCM and they accepted those just fine.
So the dealer you bought the Corvette from for NCM delivery, sent the CoO to you before you went to the NCM?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:02 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
When you get a new vehicle and pay cash for it, you own it free and clear as with the OP's new C7 he won. You'll get the MSO every time on it. When you finance it, the finance company gets it. That's why many of you are not seeing it, I believe.

My Q was what becomes of the MSO the State takes in exchange for a State issued title of ownership?
The state keeps it. If an application for a certificate of title is for a new vehicle, the application also shall be accompanied by the manufacturer's certificate of origin for the vehicle, assigned by the transferor to the transferee. The DMV, MVA, Administration or whatever, keeps a record of all certificates that it issues, under any method that they determine.

In the case of Md, the MVA may not return the certificate of origin to the dealer if, applying its regulation, the MVA concludes that a vehicle is "used," notwithstanding the dealer's reacquisition of the vehicle. Op. Att'y Gen (1989).

Get notified of new replies

To How many have their certificate of origin

Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

I think this is an exceptionally cool document, everyone has the window sticker but I've never seen this type of form before.
You get one when you pay cash for your car. I always get copy's but here in Nebraska the State keeps the original when you take your paperwork in to buy plates.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by VH Vette
Got copies of both front and back before it went off to the State file cabinet forever.
VH
The back indicates Distributor-Dealer Assignment blocks 1-4. The first one is a certification by the dealer/distributor that warrants title to _______________ , the buyer, by notary. Blocks 2-4 are same as 1. Meaning Distributor-Dealer can assign to another Dealer-Distributor.

Upon "retail" sale, there is a Odometer disclosure block as well, and a Lienholder block at bottom.

Pretty much the same as the back of an everyday title. Except this starts the process of title history. So yes, the back is just as important as the front for the paper-trail. It follows the money.

Far as my prior post, that was the case 20 yrs ago. Times change. Technology changes. If the MVA or DMV desires to go paperless at any point, they can do it.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I have mine !!! 2014 Z-51-M7 !!! I picked up my car in Kansas and drove it home to Washington State !!! Wayne

Quick Reply: How many have their certificate of origin