Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left lane woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

It is an attitude like this that causes issues on the road. You decide what is safe and then force your view on other people without any standing of any kind other than your opinion. This is a country of freedom. Exercise some common courtesy and let the other driver go by, if he or she is unsafe, they will have moved out of your area and made your life safer, otherwise you just allowed someone to go on their way without interfering.

Originally Posted by owc6
Sitting in the left lane is one of the most dangerous things one can do! Even if you are going significantly over the speed limit.

It's not the fast lane, it's not the faster lane, it's the fastest lane; if someone is wanting to go faster than you, let them by. It's not your job to be lane monitor, unless you have a badge.

Many states have that codified, and even those that don't, have laws against allowing you to impede traffic in the left lane, regardless of speed. In all 50 states the left lane is recognized as the PASSING lane. THOSE are the rules, BTW.

Much of the road rage is people dawdling in the left lane, so why would you (as a mature adult) want to purposefully **** off an "dangerously immature" driver?
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
It is an attitude like this that causes issues on the road. You decide what is safe and then force your view on other people without any standing of any kind other than your opinion. This is a country of freedom. Exercise some common courtesy and let the other driver go by, if he or she is unsafe, they will have moved out of your area and made your life safer, otherwise you just allowed someone to go on their way without interfering.
You mean wanting folks to obey the rules of the road? Does freedom mean free to always drive in the left lane?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
Here is my position....anyone driving the speed limit is doing OK. If someone wants to break the limit - and endanger the lives of my wife and kids and any others - has to play by my rules. If a flasher approaches me and I am BELOW the limit, I gladly move out of the way. But those who want to speed and risk other people's lives? No way. I know many of us are quite capable of driving fast safely, but how does any guy in front of you know that? Speeding is for the track. I track my cars. But on the highway I follow the rules. Those who think they can flash people out of their way and yap on their phones, etc. do NOT have my blessing. The majority of them are dangerously immature.

So, if you see a white C7 in front of you - driving under the posted speed limit - flash me ONCE and I will dive for the right lane. But if I am at or near the posted speed limit - and you signal me to move so you can speed up and endanger my family and others who use that road? You have a fight on your hands.
Really?
Attached Images  
The following 5 users liked this post by Stangslayer:
dvilin (03-27-2017), Ernest_T (03-30-2017), jaden61 (03-28-2017), snappy2u (03-27-2017), walleyejack (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
These days I give a guy one pass then it ain't gonna happen again unless is car is faster than 180.
Hmm, sounds like you live in Miami! Have watched a Porsche change 4 lanes cutting off folks to get to the left lane.

Last time I drove there for a meeting, had the wife's Porsche Cayenne. Was in the center lane and put my directional signal on to move to the right lane for an exit! A Jeep SUV well behind on my right proceeded to accelerate in an attempt not to left me in! The Porsche hit redline (~7000 rpm) and I made the exit!

That evening at dinner I mentioned the incident to the folks who work in our Miami office. They laughed and said you never use your directional signals here! You're just asking for someone to cut you off! And if they hit you, your insurance will have to pay as 1/3 don't have insurance!

Glad I live in a civilized rural area!

Originally Posted by itaylorm
I often say when someone passes that fast, great go hit someone else!

Recall the sales manager (co-managing director) in our Germany company who drove a special Mercedes (biggest engine- all badges removed) the company purchased as part of his compensation package. He drove as fast as the car went-typically ~150 mph. I asked what happens if someone following a truck in the right lane moves around it and moves into your left lane. He said they don't live long and are no longer on the road!

The speed difference in German was a significant problem, IMO. He also drove that way at night- way past his lights. Made me nervous!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-27-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
I've been driving over 40 years and I have to admit I've never flashed anyone to pass.

It just always seemed like the perfect way to get the reaction you got.
Agreed. I'll find a way to pass without pissing off any strangers.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Patience, a minute on the freeway seems like forever but it's only a minute.

You will eventually get the space to go around, even if its on the right.

What gets my goat the most is tractor trailers passing one another, going at least one tenth of a mile an hour faster than the other. They see you barreling up in the passing lane, wait till you get close, and then cut you off. Takes em two days to pass. Happens every time.
The following 3 users liked this post by dndrsn:
AdventurePoser (03-27-2017), itaylorm (03-27-2017), scottaolsen (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

I don't tolerate left lane truckers.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

It isn't for you to say what obeying the rules means.
In my own case I get out of the way when someone wants to pass me and stay in the right lane as much as possible. I figure, if they are speeding, they will get a ticket and I can wave at them as I drive by. Has happened many times

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
You mean wanting folks to obey the rules of the road? Does freedom mean free to always drive in the left lane?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Here is my position....anyone driving the speed limit is doing OK. If someone wants to break the limit - and endanger the lives of my wife and kids and any others - has to play by my rules. If a flasher approaches me and I am BELOW the limit, I gladly move out of the way. But those who want to speed and risk other people's lives? No way. I know many of us are quite capable of driving fast safely, but how does any guy in front of you know that? Speeding is for the track. I track my cars. But on the highway I follow the rules. Those who think they can flash people out of their way and yap on their phones, etc. do NOT have my blessing. The majority of them are dangerously immature.

So, if you see a white C7 in front of you - driving under the posted speed limit - flash me ONCE and I will dive for the right lane. But if I am at or near the posted speed limit - and you signal me to move so you can speed up and endanger my family and others who use that road? You have a fight on your hands.
You'll have a fight on your hands? Are you serious?
Please stay out of Florida with that attitude.
I don't want to be stuck in traffic anywhere around you when you do encounter some Yahoo looking for a fight and packing a gun.

https://www.google.com/search?sclien...k1.TxnPV3bAgqE

Last edited by L8ter; 03-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by L8ter:
berk4422 (03-27-2017), dvilin (03-27-2017), Ernest_T (03-30-2017), FLATJ (03-27-2017), snappy2u (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

With all due respect, I had to laugh when I read this, because your philosophy was my Grandfather's. He'd said down the freeway in the left lane at the posted 65, as other vehicles whizzed by him on the right.

I remember asking him, "Grandpa, why don't you move over and let these faster cars go by?" I was about 12 years old at the time.

He told me the speed limit was 65 and that was as fast as he'd go, and that it didn't matter what anyone else thought or did. Loved Gramps, but sheesh.....

Since I'm always scanning at least 12 seconds ahead, I have plenty of time to determine if a driver in front of me is too slow. I can easily flip on a blinker and pass on the right, without riding up on his bumper. No muss, no fuss, no anger. Perfect!

Last edited by AdventurePoser; 03-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AdventurePoser:
dvilin (03-27-2017), juanvaldez (03-27-2017), snappy2u (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Yep, nice part about the Corvette is that it is nimble, with good acceleration. It is almost like a motorcycle where you can treat cars like stationary obstacles.
AdventurePoser (04-17-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I do know that in Virginia it is illegal to block a faster moving vehicle in the left lane EVEN if you are exceeding the speed limit. People blocking the left lane do pose a serious safety issue for those behind who begin jockeying for position. As a result of people observing the speed limit and blocking the left lane, the government must spend millions to add lanes which might not be needed IF people observed Drive Right - Pass Left. Safety for all.
The following 4 users liked this post by vbdenny:
berk4422 (03-27-2017), JerryU (03-27-2017), JK 23112 (03-27-2017), snappy2u (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
I've been driving over 40 years and I have to admit I've never flashed anyone to pass.

It just always seemed like the perfect way to get the reaction you got.
I used to. Now I just wait and pass on the right. Some people will still move over. Some are clueless, and some have some kind of vendetta (as soon as you pass them they try speeding up), and then there are those on their cell phones and not paying attention. Brand new SUVs, and can't figure out hands free so they have that cell phone glued to their ear.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-27-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

it is all about you i see, screw everyone else, no consideration for others, you in the left lane, cause accidents.
The following 2 users liked this post by walleyejack:
dvilin (03-27-2017), snappy2u (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

In a very short time I've reached some basic understanding about driving a Corvette. Along with safe driving principles, they govern my behavior on the road.

First and most important, we're the little guy, we may be able to outrun most of the "big boys", but we're small and not built for impact, so I tend to just get out of the way of "flyers" (wreckless speeders) and the infamous "left lane" cruisers. Aside from flyers on phones, nothing annoys me more than someone riding on my *** in the left lane when I'm doing 65-70.

Second...Folks have a definite attitude about us. We drive a car that's built for racing, so we're all expected to treat our public roadways like Indy or Daytona. Armed with that knowledge I'm always trying to be the safer, more considerate driver (who knows if I need to get there faster...I definitely can!).

My car stands out...my driving doesn't need to...especially when it's for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by Silver C7; 03-27-2017 at 12:31 PM.
AdventurePoser (04-17-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My 3 years in Germany was driving Nirvana. Driving in the left lane while not overtaking is strictly verboten. The Germans do enforce the law.
If it hasn't already been covered, the law in Germany is that it's illegal to pass on the right. A subtle difference but effective. It's also enforced vigorously. Your fellow drivers *will* call you out if you're bogarting the passing lane.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

I live in the DC area and spend a lot of time on the beltway where the speed limit is 55mph. The vast majority of people go at least 10 to 15 mph over the limit. If you're on the beltway and you're going 55 you are the one that is endangering people's lives.
The following 3 users liked this post by p3pilot:
dvilin (03-27-2017), JK 23112 (03-27-2017), Walt White Coupe (03-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Left lane woes

Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Default My take

With all due respect to the C7Horray (something he/she is not affording other drivers!) this is a free country and that is what makes it great.
Sitting you A** in the left lane because YOU are traveling the speed limit is dangerous, childish, illegal, and downright stupid. You are not the "authority" on the road and trying to independently push your agenda by doing so is welcoming all the dangerous and illegal driving you are trying to "prevent", to be even worse. People trying to pass you in the "PASSING" lane, now having to pass on the right, (where people like you are correctly driving) are causing increased risk to others because of you.
You are part of this forum because I assume you enjoy the speed, style and performance that you buy a Corvette to enjoy. Don't stop other from enjoying it too! I respect good drivers, ones that know the road, enjoy their cars, drive responsibly and don't risk the life and safety of others.
You are free to enjoy your car as you see fit but don't impose your agenda on others. MOVE OVER, let people pass...THAT is how you keep yourself and your family out of harms way. NOT by blocking the road!
By the way, flash to pass in Massachusetts is deemed aggressive driving and will get you a ticket if you get caught. I like to drive fast where appropriate and I take responsibility for my actions. If someone wants to go faster than me, I move over as a courtesy, a good driving technique and as a responsible Corvette owner.
Please reconsider your approach and happy motoring.

Last edited by snappy2u; 03-27-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by snappy2u:
AdventurePoser (04-17-2017), dvilin (03-27-2017), the solution (03-28-2017), walleyejack (03-27-2017), Walt White Coupe (03-30-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

^^^ Um, the OP is not the left lane hogger.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by snappy2u
With all due respect to the OP (something he/she is not affording other drivers!) this is a free country and that is what makes it great.
Sitting you A** in the left lane because YOU are traveling the speed limit is dangerous, childish, illegal, and downright stupid. You are not the "authority" on the road and trying to independently push your agenda by doing so is welcoming all the dangerous and illegal driving you are trying to "prevent", to be even worse. People trying to pass you in the "PASSING" lane, now having to pass on the right, (where people like you are correctly driving) are causing increased risk to others because of you.
You are part of this forum because I assume you enjoy the speed, style and performance that you buy a Corvette to enjoy. Don't stop other from enjoying it too! I respect good drivers, ones that know the road, enjoy their cars, drive responsibly and don't risk the life and safety of others.
You are free to enjoy your car as you see fit but don't impose your agenda on others. MOVE OVER, let people pass...THAT is how you keep yourself and your family out of harms way. NOT by blocking the road!
By the way, flash to pass in Massachusetts is deemed aggressive driving and will get you a ticket if you get caught. I like to drive fast where appropriate and I take responsibility for my actions. If someone wants to go faster than me, I move over as a courtesy, a good driving technique and as a responsible Corvette owner.
Please reconsider your approach and happy motoring.
"flash to pass in Massachusetts is deemed aggressive driving"

Never heard that before. Been here all my life

Quick Reply: Left lane woes