Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left lane woes

Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When I'm on the Interstate, I drive with the traffic(if at the speed limit or above). I want to pass on the left if traffic is slower than the speed limit and not be held up by a left lane looney. I also drive in the right lane. But, if someone passes me on the left and they want to be the rabbit, and I think it's safe, I'll follow them at a 1/4 mile distance, passing everyone that is in the right lane. But, if someone runs up behind me, I'll immediately pull over to the right as soon as it's safe to do so to let them pass, or speed up and then pull over to the right,no matter what speed I'm driving at. I never deliberately hold anyone up, unless I can't work my way into the right lane(like when the right lane is a long string of trucks running 20 feet off the truck in front of them making it unsafe to force my 15'-17' car in between them).

I asked a cousin, who was a trucker at one time, why they did that and he said it was intentional, just to **** the car's off.
I've been know to intentionally hold them up. They will bluff but that won't risk having an accident because they know their job is on the line. I also like using a rabbit. In Texas you don't generally get a ticket if you get caught doin' over 100. I won't unless I have some fool out in front of me.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm 74 and I sure don't agree with their thinking that they are the hall monitors and have been chosen by God to regulate traffic flow on a public highway.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by p3pilot
Burnt burrito? Child's play. At American we get stuff like broken glass on top of our meals from the FA's.
I'm just glad I never got the Visine in the coffee...

Here in Texas, they've made the moving over on to the shoulder to let someone pass illegal. Unfortunately. People still do it though, including me.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

For the clueless, ignorant drivers, I suggest you learn the rules of the road.

If you are in the left lane and not passing anyone move your A$$ OUT of the left lane.

​​​​​​If you continue the ignorant/rude use of the Left Lane (passing lane), then lane sooner or later you will cause road rage and possibly become a victim as there are too many nuts on the road.

Just do everyone a favor INCLUDING YOURSELF and get over your ego or your need to control traffic.

Not to mention you look like a complete a$$hole hanging out in the left lane holding up a line of cars. You don't want to be an a$$hole, do you?

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 03-28-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I will admit to one instance of holding up someone in the left lane. While minding my own business on the New Jersey Turnpike and innocently passing a minivan, I see a trooper coming up fast behind me. So do I pace this minivan or move ahead? I see the trooper looks itchy and not hungry so i step on it, put on my right blinker and moved over. He booked on by even through I was doing (somewhat) in excess in the limit (as you might imagine).
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Coasterbuilder
Heel & Toe

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Old bikers ride like everyone is trying to kill them. Most of the time it is true. Keep your head on a swivel.
That's why there're OLD bikers. You don't live long without that attitude on a bike.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Don't you know, she owns the lane? Yeah, I run into (not literally ) those lovely folks frequently. LEO needs to get after them!
vbdenny (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 AM
Rwp315
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112

It is the law in most states that you are supposed to move to the right for faster traffic to pass -- but it's almost never enforced.

Here in VA, the highways are peppered with "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs, but most folks honestly never consider themselves to be slower traffic. They just think everyone else drives too fast.

Simple rule of thumb: If you are being passed on the right, then you are driving in the wrong lane.
I've been caught in the left lane unable to safely move over. Then you get an idiot whose so close I can't see the windshield wipers. Where do they expect you to go? That's when I wish I was in my other ride, Bell AH Cobra! They don't want me on their 6! They aren't getting there any faster!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

148 posts and not one of you will change your driving behavior 1 inch!!!!! Its all my way!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg00Coupe:
juanvaldez (03-29-2017), vbdenny (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

True dat! That is why I am a right lane flyer.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default This sounds familiar..

I got flamed pretty bad over a post a while back where I was in the left lane passing heavy slower traffic in the right two lanes caused by a construction bottle neck on an off ramp. I was the faster thru traffic moving in the left lane when a guy climbed my tail and proceeded to lose his mind trying to get by me. He ultimately did, only to weave in and out to get to the choked up off ramp sooner.

I posted that I wondered why, when I was doing what was legally and safely correct (passing slower traffic in center lane) did I owe a duty to yield my position to an aggressive pushy driver. I guess I get stuck on the mental culture that emerges when behind the wheel in that aggressive is OK. If you are in the left lane passing someone slower, and someone behind by aggression demands you relinquish your legal right to do so to allow that person to proceed on his more important way, is it any different than someone cutting the line at the movie theater when you have been waiting patiently to get your tickets? Would you not say something like "the line ends over there sir".? This was a huge difference between cruising the left lane ignoring faster traffic, I was the faster traffic and the guy behind me was pushing his aggressive driving down my throat.

Responses to my post included talk about guns, and one guy that carried a big rock in his door pocket. Some of that rhetoric and some here was and is so immature it's shameful. As corvette owners we make up a very small percentage of the motoring public, but our cars and how they are driven earn a lot of attention. It takes very little bad behavior by one vette to tarnish a group as a whole.

I wil say that after getting my integrity and driving skill thoroughly lambasted in my thread, I seriously questioned wether I wanted to continue as a member here and vette owner in general. The positive was that I spend a lot of time paying attention to how people behave behind the wheel, and let me tell you, there are a lot of clowns out there. We bought a place near Sarasota FL last year, this was our first full winter here. I am freaking amazed at how people drive, and have even noticed that same inconsiderate attitude is present inside the grocery store or wal mart!

I learned from my thread that situational awareness is critical. When combined with a bit of common courtesy, I am a significantly better driver. I am much happier listening to the soothing exhaust than trying to figure out how to advance one car length faster than the other guy. The comment about testosterone is spot on, I feel no need to be aggressive, but take great joy knowing that a flick of my ankle will shut down the idiot in the car next to me.

We all know our cars are fast and nimble, I want to spend more time enjoying that even if it means middle lane!
The following 5 users liked this post by mile-0:
itaylorm (03-30-2017), Malum1 (03-30-2017), RedC7AZ (03-30-2017), slhawkins (04-01-2017), vbdenny (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Most folks are pretty stupid and are only aware of what is going on a few car lengths in front of them. I ain't generally hard to get around them and stay around them in a Corvette
Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

So now that we've solved this little rule of the road, let's move on to the next subject...

The following 2 users liked this post by bigsapper:
06nine (03-30-2017), itaylorm (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

LOL . . . that is an alien concept to 80% of the population.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by mile-0
I got flamed pretty bad over a post a while back where I was in the left lane passing heavy slower traffic in the right two lanes caused by a construction bottle neck on an off ramp. I was the faster thru traffic moving in the left lane when a guy climbed my tail and proceeded to lose his mind trying to get by me. He ultimately did, only to weave in and out to get to the choked up off ramp sooner.

I posted that I wondered why, when I was doing what was legally and safely correct (passing slower traffic in center lane) did I owe a duty to yield my position to an aggressive pushy driver. I guess I get stuck on the mental culture that emerges when behind the wheel in that aggressive is OK. If you are in the left lane passing someone slower, and someone behind by aggression demands you relinquish your legal right to do so to allow that person to proceed on his more important way, is it any different than someone cutting the line at the movie theater when you have been waiting patiently to get your tickets? Would you not say something like "the line ends over there sir".? This was a huge difference between cruising the left lane ignoring faster traffic, I was the faster traffic and the guy behind me was pushing his aggressive driving down my throat.

Responses to my post included talk about guns, and one guy that carried a big rock in his door pocket. Some of that rhetoric and some here was and is so immature it's shameful. As corvette owners we make up a very small percentage of the motoring public, but our cars and how they are driven earn a lot of attention. It takes very little bad behavior by one vette to tarnish a group as a whole.

I wil say that after getting my integrity and driving skill thoroughly lambasted in my thread, I seriously questioned wether I wanted to continue as a member here and vette owner in general. The positive was that I spend a lot of time paying attention to how people behave behind the wheel, and let me tell you, there are a lot of clowns out there. We bought a place near Sarasota FL last year, this was our first full winter here. I am freaking amazed at how people drive, and have even noticed that same inconsiderate attitude is present inside the grocery store or wal mart!

I learned from my thread that situational awareness is critical. When combined with a bit of common courtesy, I am a significantly better driver. I am much happier listening to the soothing exhaust than trying to figure out how to advance one car length faster than the other guy. The comment about testosterone is spot on, I feel no need to be aggressive, but take great joy knowing that a flick of my ankle will shut down the idiot in the car next to me.

We all know our cars are fast and nimble, I want to spend more time enjoying that even if it means middle lane!
I'm not sure what it is you hope to achieve.
This is the INTERNET...where every nutjob on the planet feels compelled to share their particular 2¢ on every subject known to mankind and yet end up being completely astonished if not everyone doesn't agree with their POV.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I hear what you are saying. There are few things that push folks buttons like being told how to drive or insinuating someone's driving skills are not perfect. I'll state again with all these posts there is not one person who will change anything about the way they drive we are all perfect.

I've been to spring mountain a couple of times and there where always a couple of dudes telling the instructors they had it wrong. These are the know it all types.

One thing we all need to realize that as society continues to slid you ride along on the roads with every possible type of person driving. There is no place I can thing of where so many different people converge with such random situations. The guy/lady next to you may be distracted, inexperienced, mad, just fired, on drugs, drunk, shaving, putting on makeup, an old driver a blind driver, hard of hearing, dealing drugs, their car may be crap or a race car...etc etc.

So we put all those conditions together, add weather and maybe unfamiliar areas for folks traveling, GPS what have you and we expect everyone to behave the same?

Its clear that for most speed limit signs are a waste of metal. They have the right to drive at whatever speed they wish. They are the best drivers out there. I am glad to move over because many times I see them dashing in and out of traffic as you mentioned and sometimes when I pass them when they have ran off the road in snowy conditions, are pulled over by the police I always honk and wave!!!

We all know that the forum is very beneficial for the vast majority of topics. Lot of great information, great people and has been well worth it to me so don't give up on the forum because of the flaming. There are just a few hot button items and being king of the road for the egos is probably numero uno.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 03-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.
itaylorm (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Well said

Get notified of new replies

To Left lane woes

Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM
itaylorm
Pro

You put it in good perspective the different people out there driving.
Speed limit signs, yeah I am the same way, if someone wants to pass me, I happy to let them do it and wave at them when they get the ticket.

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I hear what you are saying. There are few things that push folks buttons like being told how to drive or insinuating someone's driving skills are not perfect. I'll state again with all these posts there is not one person who will change anything about the way they drive we are all perfect.

I've been to spring mountain a couple of times and there where always a couple of dudes telling the instructors they had it wrong. These are the know it all types.

One thing we all need to realize that as society continues to slid you ride along on the roads with every possible type of person driving. There is no place I can thing of where so many different people converge with such random situations. The guy/lady next to you may be distracted, inexperienced, mad, just fired, on drugs, drunk, shaving, putting on makeup, an old driver a blind driver, hard of hearing, dealing drugs, their car may be crap or a race car...etc etc.

So we put all those conditions together, add weather and maybe unfamiliar areas for folks traveling, GPS what have you and we expect everyone to behave the same?

Its clear that for most speed limit signs are a waste of metal. They have the right to drive at whatever speed they wish. They are the best drivers out there. I am glad to move over because many times I see them dashing in and out of traffic as you mentioned and sometimes when I pass them when they have ran off the road in snowy conditions, are pulled over by the police I always honk and wave!!!

We all know that the forum is very beneficial for the vast majority of topics. Lot of great information, great people and has been well worth it to me so don't give up on the forum because of the flaming. There are just a few hot button items and being king of the road for the egos is probably numero uno.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
So now that we've solved this little rule of the road, let's move on to the next subject...

I'll drink to that.

could be a whole different thread LOL
sunsalem (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:22 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
I'll drink to that.

could be a whole different thread LOL
What do you have in mind for a thread?