Sponsored by:

Infotainment System software updates

Old 03-28-2017, 05:33 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
We've been talking about this extensively in the DSC Sport MSRC Controller threads where everyone who has installed one is amazed at how much better the MSRC performs. The question often arises how can the DSC Sport Controller be such a significant upgrade over the OEM controller?

The answer is exactly as you described above. The OEM controller wasn't even programmed by GM, but by the OEM controller vendor, and is an archaic program that only uses a small percentage of the available sensor data already in the car to allow the MSRC dampers to perform at their full potential.

What pro race car driver and chassis engineer Mike Levitas has done at TPC Racing/DSC is to extensively code his controller to take full advantage of the MSRC dampers using data that the OEM controller is not programmed to utilize. According to Mike, he couldn't believe how primitive the OEM code was.

Also unlike the OEM controller, the DSC device can be easily reprogrammed by any owner based upon personal preference.
OEM MSRC is done by BWI Group who bought the MagnaRide technology (and people) from Delphi during that companies bankruptcy.

As an FYI, Delphi Steering (MagnaSteer) formerly Saginaw Steering is now known as Nexteer. Delphi Brakes is defunct, the patents were bought out by TRW (who now is owned by ZF Group, TRW previously bought a part of Kelsey-Hayes if you remember them as an automotive brake supplier). As Delphi sold off all the Chassis (Steering, Suspension, and Brakes) groups. This is why C5 owners have such difficulties getting ABS modules, the manufacturer is essentially defunct.

Having worked in Chassis for over 7 years now I'm quite familiar with the supply base.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
arvindnc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thank the politicians

Originally Posted by patentcad
Be grateful they don't ask you to do a friggin rain dance so they can dispatch a carrier pigeon from Detroit carrying a floppy disk with the update to your house. I just went to our state of the art two year old local medical center and had an MRI in their even newer out-patient services building. They had a live pianist playing relaxing music in the lobby.

So a week later my surgeon doesn't have the MRI images or the radiologist report. Silly me, I figure 'it's 2017, they'll upload the images to Dropbox and email the report to Dr. Steinberg'. Wrong. I call the imaging unit and they offer to copy the images onto a disc which they will MAIL to him and they will FAX him the radiologist report, which of course means a few MORE days until he can even see the images.

I asked them if there was a telegraph or smoke signal option.

I turned off our office fax machine two years ago, I thought it was long overdue. Astonishingly, that seems to be a technology that refuses to die, lawyers and medical office seem to still use it regularly. So don't be surprised that it may take a while longer til GM lets you download updates via the Internet like Lexus does. You'd think it would be easier for THEM.
Yeah! Its 2017 and there are 3D MRI Machines that can turn your insides out without a scratch on your body and 3D Ultrasound machines that can take a picture of your baby in the womb without causing a stir and the machines can upload the report and images to timbuktoo in less than 60 seconds but your politician has put a stop to that with something called HIPAA. So please thank your politician for the slight inconvenience of having to obtain a digital copy of your MRI and a paper copy of the report to Dr. Steinberg!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:26 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

From the 2017 Chevymylink2ndprint manual:

Over-the-Air Software Updates
If equipped, the infotainment system can download and install software updates over a wireless connection. The system will prompt high priority updates to be downloaded and installed, while others can be manually accessed. To manually check for updates, touch Settings on the Home Screen, followed by Software Information, and then System Update. Follow the on-screen prompts. Steps for downloading and installing updates may vary by vehicle.

Downloading Over-the-Air software updates requires Internet connectivity, which can be accessed through the vehicle’s OnStar Wi-Fi hotspot, if equipped. Optionally, a secured Wi-Fi hotspot such as a mobile device hotspot, a home hotspot, or a public hotspot can be used. To connect the infotainment system to a secured mobile device hotspot, home hotspot, or public hotspot, touch Settings on the Home Screen, followed by Wi-Fi, and then Manage Wi-Fi Networks. Select the appropriate Wi-Fi network, and follow the on-screen prompts. Download speeds may vary. On most mobile devices, activation of the Wi-Fi hotspot is in the Settings menu under Mobile Network Sharing, Personal Hotspot, Mobile Hotspot, or similar.

Availability of Over-the-Air software updates varies by vehicle and country. For more information on this feature, see my.chevrolet.com/learn.

When I picked up my 2017 GS in January my dealer said this was a new feature.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (03-29-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infotainment System software updates