C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to make the switch.. need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:47 PM
ViperBlueCobra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to make the switch.. need some help.

Done with my mustang.

Looking into the C7 corvettes.

Honest opinions please. Here are my topics of concern.

Overall - The good things and the bad things.

The various models, what are the real differences in the packages?

I plan on doing modifications, so should I just stick with the base model?

Does the track recording video come standard?

Auto or manual and why? I plan to utilize this car mainly at the drag strip and 1mile and 1/2 mile events.

Thank you for your input and can't wait to make the switch. And if you want to know the true good and bads for 2015 mustangs, I've got a list! LOL
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Auto is substantially faster 1/4 mile.

Recorder is not standard and is pretty expensive.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Fasteners201
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Recording Video I belive is only in the Z51 and the Z06. I'm not sure for the GS.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM
cdeuso
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a 2015 Mustang GT premium manual to a 2015 C7 1LT. I definitely think the Corvette is a much better car, no questions, but I do have some gripes. The Mustang is much more comfortable to be honest. Ingress/Egress is easier and the seats are more padded. The rearview camera on the Mustang is much better in terms of clarity and ease of parking. The assistance lines on the Corvette camera actually seem to make it harder for me to park sometimes. I can't make any comparisons to the higher trim levels of the Corvette, but I really like the interior of the 1LT. Sure heated/cooled seats, HUD, and Nav would have been nice, but i haven't missed them. The Corvette drives like nothing I've ever driven before. The performance is on a whole other level. But it also comes with some sacrifices. Staggered tires make tire changes more expensive, premium fuel is a must where I could get away with regular on the Mustang, and insurance went up about 20 dollars a month. And I went with the M7, and wouldn't have it any other way. I have not personally driven an automatic car, so I can't comment there. As far as mods, I don't have any mods planned for mine and I never modded the Mustang. I think the security of a warranty outweighs the risk of adding a few more horses. I rarely get to do any WOT pulls anyways, so I am sure I'm not going to notice the difference in 15 HP.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I have a 2015 Z06 with AFE CAI and Corsa X pipe.
The car as is, is fast. If you are looking for more performance than what the Z06 offers you might go the Stingray route and add power adders.
With substantial mods you would be jeopardizing your warranty.
I love my M7 and rowing through the gears. If you love to drag race many have gone with the A8 for consistency. I drag race too but still love the M7.
The C7 Corvette is stunning, a real head turner. You will have a perpetual grin on your face as you put it through it's paces.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteners201
Recording Video I belive is only in the Z51 and the Z06. I'm not sure for the GS.
The video recorder is also part of the navigation. It is a $1795.00 option that you can get on any model Corvette. It comes standard in the 3LT package.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Mine is only on order so others here can give real world answers to most of your questions. There are a few that I can answer though.

The automatic is faster 0-60 and in the quarter mile. Note that there have been some issues with the A8. There are rumors of the A10 coming in the 2018 model year but that won't be known until the end of the month.

The PDR (personal data recorder) only comes with the Infortainment w/ Nav option. On lower trims that's a $1995 option or it comes with the 3LT trim (which is much more than that).

As for base versus others, it depends on what mods you are planning and what budget you have. The Z06 obviously has the best 1/4 mile times, with the grand sport w/ Z07 package next I think. Both of those are substantially more than the base Stingray.

And I'll risk saying on this forum that if you are coming from Mustang things like the new Camaro ZL1 may be of interest to you too. Similar price and if all you care about is 1/4 mile times the ZL1 is close to top of the heap.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM
ViperBlueCobra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdeuso
I went from a 2015 Mustang GT premium manual to a 2015 C7 1LT. I definitely think the Corvette is a much better car, no questions, but I do have some gripes. The Mustang is much more comfortable to be honest. Ingress/Egress is easier and the seats are more padded. The rearview camera on the Mustang is much better in terms of clarity and ease of parking. The assistance lines on the Corvette camera actually seem to make it harder for me to park sometimes. I can't make any comparisons to the higher trim levels of the Corvette, but I really like the interior of the 1LT. Sure heated/cooled seats, HUD, and Nav would have been nice, but i haven't missed them. The Corvette drives like nothing I've ever driven before. The performance is on a whole other level. But it also comes with some sacrifices. Staggered tires make tire changes more expensive, premium fuel is a must where I could get away with regular on the Mustang, and insurance went up about 20 dollars a month. And I went with the M7, and wouldn't have it any other way. I have not personally driven an automatic car, so I can't comment there. As far as mods, I don't have any mods planned for mine and I never modded the Mustang. I think the security of a warranty outweighs the risk of adding a few more horses. I rarely get to do any WOT pulls anyways, so I am sure I'm not going to notice the difference in 15 HP.
My 2015 is heavily modified. Taking it all back to stock now. Tired of breaking stuff on it.

I also feel like the mustang crowd has gotten too young, or I'm getting older, and I do feel out of place at bit.

I'm comparing this to C6z as well. I've heard the plat form is good, but the motor is fragile. The LT1, I've heard, is good, but parts are still expensive.

How is the aftermarket parts for the LT1? Headers, intake manifolds, camshafts, etc? How is the tuning? Ford ECU was easy for SCT to break and tune. I've heard Dodge's ECU is a nightmare.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Red15lt1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest negative ive noticed is you have to skam the back hatch. There is a smart wire system thst opens a vent and some have reported it not working. GM saved 1.1 lbs with this system and if it doesnt work you cant shut the hatch without opening a door. If you get a manual plan on getting a short thow shifter. With the transaxle setup it makes the shifts much more crisp. I only considered Z51's in my purchasing so from that perspective the PDR is an option up to 3LT. Then standard with that trim. 2LT is really the sweet spot since you get heated and cooled seats among other things. 3LT adds leather dash, but i wanted the PDR. And if you option out the PDR tou might as well go 3LT. Or just be patient and find the perfect used one and save 10-20k off the sticker.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

'16 and up come with power hatch pull down.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Regarding models and packages, when you consider that there are three models (Stingray with and without Z51, Grand Sport, and Z06) plus three Preferred Equipment Groups for each (1LT, 2LT and 3LT for Stingrays and Grand Sports, 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ for Z06s), it gets to be a very lengthy answer. Your best bet is to use the Chevrolet web site as a reference tool; it shows pretty clearly what each mo0del and PEG consists of.

The impact of planned modifications on model choice largely depends upon the types of mods you have in mind.

Performance Data Recorder and navigation come only with each other and not separately. They're standard with 3LT and 3LZ, optional on 1LT, 2LT, 1LZ, and 2LZ at $1,795. It has nothing to do with the absence / presence of Z51. BTW, you don't say whether you're looking at new or used. The PDR was not introduced until the beginning of the 2015 model year.

If the extra tenth or two in the quarter mile or 0 - 60 really matter to you, auto is the way to go. I personally recommend basing your choice on which driving experience you prefer (manual or automatic). I suspect you're going to spend a lot more time driving on streets vs. on tracks where that tenth or two might make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 PM
cdeuso
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperBlueCobra
My 2015 is heavily modified. Taking it all back to stock now. Tired of breaking stuff on it.

I also feel like the mustang crowd has gotten too young, or I'm getting older, and I do feel out of place at bit.

I'm comparing this to C6z as well. I've heard the plat form is good, but the motor is fragile. The LT1, I've heard, is good, but parts are still expensive.

How is the aftermarket parts for the LT1? Headers, intake manifolds, camshafts, etc? How is the tuning? Ford ECU was easy for SCT to break and tune. I've heard Dodge's ECU is a nightmare.
I was never too concerned with the age of the Mustang crowd. I'm a 28 year old young professional and I have always liked Mustangs. Probably wouldn't be any different if I was 60. I'll always be a Ford guy. This was my first venture into Chevrolet and I am in love with the car. And i can tell you the parts for the Corvette are substantially more than the Mustang. An axle back kit for a Mustang runs about 700 bucks, compared to 1200-1500 for the Corvette. You get what you pay for, though. The Vette is a monster compared to the Mustang, but the Mustang also isn't a slouch. And I think you would be hard pressed to find a tune that can get a ton more out of the stock motor. Chevrolet did a pretty good job squeezing as much as they could out of it. And it already requires premium gas, so there's no Premium tunes like on the Mustang.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 PM
ViperBlueCobra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdeuso
I was never too concerned with the age of the Mustang crowd. I'm a 28 year old young professional and I have always liked Mustangs. Probably wouldn't be any different if I was 60. I'll always be a Ford guy. This was my first venture into Chevrolet and I am in love with the car. And i can tell you the parts for the Corvette are substantially more than the Mustang. An axle back kit for a Mustang runs about 700 bucks, compared to 1200-1500 for the Corvette. You get what you pay for, though. The Vette is a monster compared to the Mustang, but the Mustang also isn't a slouch. And I think you would be hard pressed to find a tune that can get a ton more out of the stock motor. Chevrolet did a pretty good job squeezing as much as they could out of it. And it already requires premium gas, so there's no Premium tunes like on the Mustang.
2015 Mustang exhaust is 1100-1500 for good brands. The 2015 Mustang GT is not cheap to modify that's for sure.

I know Corvette's are always on the more expensive side but that's okay.

I say older crowd because I'm 35. I'm married with kids. This is a weekend toy for me.

Mustang wise, I've had over 9 different mustangs over the past 15 years(some notables 04 Cobra, 07 GT500,). I'm a true ford fan. Tons of ford stuff all over my garage. So this is a bit of a leap but I think I'm ready.

One for a change to do something different and two, I'm a car enthusiast, not a brand loyalty person. I'm doing it because I think the car will be a better experience all the way around.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperBlueCobra
One for a change to do something different and two, I'm a car enthusiast, not a brand loyalty person. I'm doing it because I think the car will be a better experience all the way around.
BIG change for a true-blue oval guy.
I know a few hardcore Ford guys, if they'd ever thought of switching to Chev they STH wouldn't admit it to me.
But they all to a man do like my Z06, for some reason.

Excellent advise given here.
Curious...have you driven C7 yet?
Start w/ a test drive, all 3 models or whatever budget allows.
Getting carried away w/ options gets pricey real fast especially when few are ever used.
Main difference w/ C7, option grps aside, is LT1 or LT4 pretty much.
BTW didn't say whether you're shopping new or pre-owned.
G/L either way.
ViperBlueCobra (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

If you're going to buy an A8 and you're going to modify the engine, thus voiding your warranty, you REALLY need to search these forums for some problems with the Torque Converter on the A8s. IMHO, if I were modding a C7 I'd either get a used, 14 A6 or a M7. If I'm going to get an A8, I wouldn't mod it so that the warranty stays intact.
Otherwise, the Corvette is a unique car. The basic Stingray is a beautiful, powerful fast car that handles great, and only goes up from there. Less expensive, 6 cylinder models driven by tens of thousands do not exist in the Corvette world. Owning and driving one gets a lot of looks and gawks because it is so unique. Owning one sort of says, You've arrived! As a car guy, you need to try one. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
ViperBlueCobra (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Z51 package is a bargin if you are interested in performance.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 153 Posts

A8 is quicker than M7. If you plan on doing parades, the A8 is nice. I had a M6 in my 2013 Corvette. Rowing thru the gears was fun, but I am enjoying punching the throttle and letting the computer shift for me too. Drive them all before you decide.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 PM
ViperBlueCobra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Z51 package is a bargin if you are interested in performance.
I'm finding some used for 46-49k. That might be the route I go. I was trying to stay 40-45k range, but really wanted to weight the options and bang for the buck.

Found a few 1LT's for 40-45k.

I guess I just need to go to a dealer and talk to them and see what all the differences are and test drive a few. now that I'm 35, have some grey hair, i'm sure they will let me drive a few of them. Not like 10 years ago showing up in my modified 04 cobra. LOL

Get notified of new replies

To About to make the switch.. need some help.

Quick Reply: About to make the switch.. need some help.