Sponsored by:

GM Dealer refuses to perform warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Golf17
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Dealer refuses to perform warranty work

GM dealer refuses to perform warranty work on my 17 Z06 since they don't make alot on warranty work and also since I didn't buy it there. I originally bought the car from a dealer 2.5 hours away from my residence. The car was rare and no dealer had any in stock and the colours were exactly what I wanted, white exterior, black top, red interior. This car became available because the guy that ordered the car passed. I took the car to a authorized corvette dealer closest to me which was a hour and 20 minute drive. They give you a "Book in Time" then you sit and wait until they pull the car in. Ridiculous, so its an all day affair to have my car serviced. I took it to this dealer 3 times. First time the technician spun my tires in the shop and left grease on my arm rest and door. The problem with the car is it over heats when the temperature is over 90 and the AC shuts down. Apparently no fix for the problem!! WHAT??? 2nd time I took the car in for service the cleanup person took the car for a joy ride since I was picking it up after service hours and he thought he could get away with it. I have a tracking device on the car. Then just recently I took in for a 3rd time to mainly have the tire looked at since I had to often add air. Apparently it could be a cracked rim or a GM warranty part issue so I wanted it looked at by an authorized Corvette dealer/service centre. I arrived at the dealer at 9:20am and received the car back at 3:30. They couldn't look at the tire issue because they didn't have the proper size tire machine to diagnose the problem so they didn't even remove the tire and inspect it. I have been in the marina and boat business for 31 years and I know you have to have all the shop tools to be a certified dealer. Anyways I wasted a day away from the office and my tire is still not fixed and they told me to take it to a tire shop. That was disappointing. I got home and called GM and told them the story so they recommended I take it to a a specific corvette dealer and I agreed so they got them on the line and I spoke to a service advisor. He took my information and called me back about 5 hours later to tell me his boss said they don't make any money on this and he didn't buy it here so take it to the dealer that has been servicing it. I called GM back and I await their call from a senior ambassador.

Last edited by Golf17; 08-13-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to Corvette Forum. You may better served in the C7 forum.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

While this is a ridiculous position, go elsewhere; you do not want your car serviced by someone who does not want to work on it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Elk:
Avanti (08-12-2019), itaylorm (08-12-2019), vdavenp802 (08-13-2019), Waterdogg (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Golf17
GM dealer refuses to perform warranty work on my 17 Z06 since they don't make alot on warranty work and also since I didn't buy it there.
Tell your dealer his dealer agreement requires he do warranty work and see what he says then
Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 602 Likes on 253 Posts

While I would definitely take my business elsewhere, are licensed GM dealers allowed to refuse warranty work on GM vehicles with intact warranty and a legitimate claim? Would that not defeat the purpose of the nationwide coverage of the GM warranty? I truly don't know the answer and would love to have some insight from industry insiders.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,218 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Yes, offer the disgrace-of-a-dealer the appropriate "salute" and go elsewhere. And, WELCOME aboard!
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with Elk. Does not sound like they have the expertise to assist you with your repair nor would I want them to.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corpsvette:
CJ Willys (08-12-2019), itaylorm (08-12-2019), KCV (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Agreed. You could argue and probably get them to do the work, I wouldn't want them working on my car.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Yup

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Tell your dealer his dealer agreement requires he do warranty work and see what he says then
Yeah, I'm sure that will really make them want to service your car. And I can't wait to see what kind of job they do, and all the hidden goodies they can make sure are issues down the road......

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 08-12-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 PM
patron1992
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Does GM offer any way to verify what dealers in your area have a Corvette Technician?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:18 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by neogenesis
While I would definitely take my business elsewhere, are licensed GM dealers allowed to refuse warranty work on GM vehicles with intact warranty and a legitimate claim? Would that not defeat the purpose of the nationwide coverage of the GM warranty? I truly don't know the answer and would love to have some insight from industry insiders.
Your GM Sales and Service Agreement does stipulate you will service the product when presented for warranty. As a practical matter, very difficult to enforce and very difficult if it is a good dealer in good standing doing the refusing. You can always accept the vehicle and consider starting on it within a couple of months because of previous commitments.

I have refused service on a few occasions but had very specific reasons. A couple of them were actually GM employees and raised Hell to no benefit. Reasons to refuse service were generally related to the customers attitude. I have had the customer bring the vehicle in for service and sit in the waiting room loudly proclaiming to all how expensive we were and encouraging the other customers to shop elsewhere. They were refused further attention.

I have had people loudly proclaim on the showroom floor they were buying elsewhere and we had to and would service that car when they brought it in. I did not! I have had people who bought elsewhere curse either the salesman or the service people and generally berate them. They were quickly sent away! There have been other examples of poor behavior.

As a general rule, I could have cared less where they purchased if they wanted service. as long as they acted like humans should. They had their reasons to buy somewhere else and that is certainly their prerogative. It is not though a good practice to go into a man's business where it is his investment and to belittle him or his employees.

By no means am I saying the OP did any of this. I would have no way to know that.
rogergcam (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:21 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf17
GM dealer refuses to perform warranty work on my 17 Z06 since they don't make alot on warranty work and also since I didn't buy it there.
Might as well let us all know who the dealer is.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,721 Likes on 5,600 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Your GM Sales and Service Agreement does stipulate you will service the product when presented for warranty. As a practical matter, very difficult to enforce and very difficult if it is a good dealer in good standing doing the refusing. You can always accept the vehicle and consider starting on it within a couple of months because of previous commitments.

I have refused service on a few occasions but had very specific reasons. A couple of them were actually GM employees and raised Hell to no benefit. Reasons to refuse service were generally related to the customers attitude. I have had the customer bring the vehicle in for service and sit in the waiting room loudly proclaiming to all how expensive we were and encouraging the other customers to shop elsewhere. They were refused further attention.

I have had people loudly proclaim on the showroom floor they were buying elsewhere and we had to and would service that car when they brought it in. I did not! I have had people who bought elsewhere curse either the salesman or the service people and generally berate them. They were quickly sent away! There have been other examples of poor behavior.

As a general rule, I could have cared less where they purchased if they wanted service. as long as they acted like humans should. They had their reasons to buy somewhere else and that is certainly their prerogative. It is not though a good practice to go into a man's business where it is his investment and to belittle him or his employees.

By no means am I saying the OP did any of this. I would have no way to know that.
I've never owned a car dealership but owned a retail/wholesale business for years and I agree with you 100%, some customers are just so damn rude and disrespectful for no reason at all. Best thing for your business and civil customers is to just politely send them on their way.
As you, not saying the OP was rude to dealership that is refusing service.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM
blackiysto
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does not sound like they have the expertise to assist you with your repair nor would I want them to.

________________________________________ _______________________
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited by blackiysto; 08-12-2019 at 07:34 PM.
itaylorm (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Yeah, I'm sure that will really make them want to service your car. And I can't wait to see what kind of job they do, and all the hidden goodies they can make sure are issues down the road......
I agree that he should look elsewhere.

I also believe in busting the dealer's chops in the process
aj98 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Just contact your local Corvette Club and ask them for recommendations on where to have it serviced.
Kevin A Jones (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like he is not qualified to perform work on Corvettes. He should probably state as such so you can move on. And perhaps he did by saying he doesn't do warranty work. I have always sought the best qualified Corvette Technicians I could find and it has worked extremely well for me, my Corvettes and my finances. Good luck in finding a good dealer and Tech!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer refuses to perform warranty work

Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by v.vet's Z06
Sounds like he is not qualified to perform work on Corvettes. He should probably state as such so you can move on. And perhaps he did by saying he doesn't do warranty work. I have always sought the best qualified Corvette Technicians I could find and it has worked extremely well for me, my Corvettes and my finances. Good luck in finding a good dealer and Tech!
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you surmise they are not qualified? The OP states he didn't buy it there and they said they didn't make a lot of money on warranty work, so no service. That was his first and only post...ever!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

With an attitude like that, they are doing you a favour by revealing it right up front. Unless, that is, you actually want to find out just how they go about making “a lot” of money off of you.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:01 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
As a general rule, I could have cared less where they purchased if they wanted service.
How much less would you have cared?

Quick Reply: GM Dealer refuses to perform warranty work