C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Exhaust R&D for C7

Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
0Kriggans
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust R&D for C7

Hi All,
This is Chris Higgins from Borla Exhaust (www.borla.com) in Oxnard, CA. We just took delivery of our C7 for exhaust and header development!! If you follow our C6 video's sound options, which new C7 system will be for you? Touring, S-Type, or ATAK? Please stay tuned for updates; thanks!

Borla C6 Corvette Exhaust Options
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

From what I have seen 90 percent are getting NPP.

Last year nearly 80 percent got NPP. It looks like every year more and more get the option. It also seems that the majority that don't get the option are truly base model cars.

So if you are going to make an exhaust and plan on actually selling it... I highly suggest you make it work with NPP. It would also be a wise add on option for those who didn't get it factory installed even if it is simply a manual switch. It is the only exhaust I would upgrade to on a C6 or C7 and I'm even considering it for my C5 now that B&B makes a C5 setup.

Many years ago you guys made a tunable exhaust for the F body cars (maybe you still make it?). It was a bolt in and out job but if you could automate that you would be in the money. Go from stock quiet to attack and get everything in the middle.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
David Borla
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

We'll be offering 3 sound levels of cat-backs and rear sections and all will be available with or without valves. We'll leave it up to you guys to decide on your own personal preferences and we'll shoot lots of video to help you make your decision.

We'll also be offering long tube headers with or without cats (both are for track use only) and a few other goodies as well.

Cheers!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 AM
TurrizT
Racer

I have the NPP exhaust on my c7 but I put borlas on all my cars and I'd like to put the stype system on my car just for the sound. Price will be important. I'd just want the mufflers. If too expensive I'll just find some high flow cats or cat deletes and work with the adjustable exhaust in the car.

Looking forward to hear borlas on the C7!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Price is very important. If prices are above NPP then I will just put that on. I am patiently waiting to see what you guys at Borla come out with though because I really want an awesome aftermarket set up. I like that you are giving the buyer a lot of options as well as the valves. I would go with the ATAK option with valves for quieter daily driving.

Last edited by Elleby13; 10-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Sorry, I don't get it and maybe I am just slow. Why are you advertising on the C6? And I hope I'm on the right thread. So what you are saying, the C7 will sound exactly like the C6? Maybe Borla should do a comparison of both C7/C6 with the borla mufflers. I thought video was a waste. Most of us already know what borla's sound like on the Corvettes but not on the C7. Had them before on my C5.....nice sound. Just my .02.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
David Borla

Originally Posted by Fore58
Sorry, I don't get it and maybe I am just slow. Why are you advertising on the C6? And I hope I'm on the right thread. So what you are saying, the C7 will sound exactly like the C6? Maybe Borla should do a comparison of both C7/C6 with the borla mufflers. I thought video was a waste. Most of us already know what borla's sound like on the Corvettes but not on the C7. Had them before on my C5.....nice sound. Just my .02.
Based on my experience yesterday I can tell you that if you're a C7 owner you're definitely not slow. That thing hauls a**!

Anyhow, we'll certainly make a C7 video that shows all the options we're offering once they have been completed but we want to get you guys involved during our design process so that we get your input from the beginning. What we're trying to accomplish by re-posting our C6 video is to get some feedback from you guys on potential products based on our history with Corvettes to see if we should proceed with a similar strategy.

Thanks for your input. It's important we understand what you guys want so we can make it for you.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
TurrizT
Racer

Originally Posted by David Borla
Based on my experience yesterday I can tell you that if you're a C7 owner you're definitely not slow. That thing hauls a**!

Anyhow, we'll certainly make a C7 video that shows all the options we're offering once they have been completed but we want to get you guys involved during our design process so that we get your input from the beginning. What we're trying to accomplish by re-posting our C6 video is to get some feedback from you guys on potential products based on our history with Corvettes to see if we should proceed with a similar strategy.

Thanks for your input. It's important we understand what you guys want so we can make it for you.
Sounds good to me, and I can appreciate that. Like I said earlier, I'd love to have the S-Type on my C7. It could probably be a little bit louder since we'll have the ability to adjust the valves.

Is there an ETA on finishing up prototypes of each system such that we can hear what the Borlas will sound like on a C7? I can tell you, I did a youtube search months ago looking to see if I could get Borla's on my C7.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I used borla in the past and they are top quality. Love this company's products.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I used borla in the past and they are top quality. Love this company's products.
I'm interested to see what Borla brings to the table for the C7. Something that works along with the car's drive modes would be interesting.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
David Borla

Originally Posted by bgood
I'm interested to see what Borla brings to the table for the C7. Something that works along with the car's drive modes would be interesting.
For sure! Cheers!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:50 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

In for the updates as well
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

For me I ordered the base system. I will shop for an aftermarket system. First off I hated the droan in my c6 and never ran it open. I had headers and a corsa on a c5 and it was loud and popped and bubbled on deceleration so I appreciate the true sound. When I tracked the car folks thought it had a crate engine. That's the sound I want...balanced with no sound on the freeway cruising.

I also don't want anything mechanical. Why would I have vacuum valves in a C6 and now an electronic system in a c7?? Too complicated and something to go wrong and this is a very simple concept the general has complicated.

I also want the rear end to look different then others. My stock system looks almost like the NPP. You come up with a unique pipe that will be a plus.

Finally with NPP I get 5 more Hp. Based on your prior products I expect 15. In fact talking to the GM dudes in bowling green that is what the consensus was. One of them actually asked me why I would want 10 more HP... the car has enough. I was shocked and told him if I had to answer that he would not understand. I think he caught himself.... it was a long day and I was probably his first non NPP customer all his life!!!!

I hear people say oh you can't build a system that sounds good in V4 mode. I don't care what it sounds like in v4 mode, in fact if is it on the quiet side all the better.

Good luck keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually called and talked ou guys a month or so ago about when you guys might have a car to test. I intentionally order a car without NPP because I liked the deep throaty sound I've heard from your system. As soon as you have it I'm in for a sport system.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:42 AM
The running man
Racer

This is really exciting! Count me in for the ATAK system!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

As a newcomer to the Vette, I appreciate the C6 videos. In terms of tone, I liked the ATAK the best, followed closely by the S-Type. The Touring was a bit too "breathy". The other two seemed to have more of a burble that I liked. I had a hard time determining the volume difference, so I don't know which system would be best from that standpoint.

I was planning on ordering the NPP option from GM, but if the performance and sound was right on an aftermarket system, I'd definitely consider one.

My only requirement is the volume would need to be low enough to pass the Laguna Seca 92 Db requirements.

-T
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
David Borla

Thanks so much guys.

So here's what we're working on, winds up being over 25 part numbers.

We'll have 3 sound levels for rear sections (ATAK, S-Type and Touring), each offered with or without valves. You can have just the AFM valves, You can have both sets of valves (including NPP), or you can have no valves.

Each of the rear sections listed above will have 3 different tip options as well as a black tip option. We'll have a new tip design on display at SEMA which is totally unique to The C7 and will be one of our tip options.

To make the rear section a cat-back we will be offering a separate midpipe/x-pipe that will clamp behind the factory catalytic convertors to keep it 50 state smog legal, or with flanges and no cats as a race system.

We will also be offering long tube headers both with and without high performance cats. These headers will be for race use only.

Lastly, we will make a race system with mufflers tuned specifically to work with long tube headers. This system will be offered in one sound level only.

How does this strategy sound to you guys? Did I miss anything?

Thanks again for your feedback

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Exhaust R&D for C7

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 AM
The running man
Racer

Originally Posted by David Borla
Thanks so much guys.

So here's what we're working on, winds up being over 25 part numbers.

We'll have 3 sound levels for rear sections (ATAK, S-Type and Touring), each offered with or without valves. You can have just the AFM valves, You can have both sets of valves (including NPP), or you can have no valves.

Each of the rear sections listed above will have 3 different tip options as well as a black tip option. We'll have a new tip design on display at SEMA which is totally unique to The C7 and will be one of our tip options.

To make the rear section a cat-back we will be offering a separate midpipe/x-pipe that will clamp behind the factory catalytic convertors to keep it 50 state smog legal, or with flanges and no cats as a race system.

We will also be offering long tube headers both with and without high performance cats. These headers will be for race use only.

Lastly, we will make a race system with mufflers tuned specifically to work with long tube headers. This system will be offered in one sound level only.

How does this strategy sound to you guys? Did I miss anything?

Thanks again for your feedback
That sounds crazy awesome!!! You guy's are taking the something for everyone approach to a whole new level.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 AM
The running man
Racer

One question. Will the race system be louder than the ATAK and will it work without LT headers?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
David Borla

Originally Posted by The running man
One question. Will the race system be louder than the ATAK and will it work without LT headers?
Probably won't be louder but the exhaust note will be different due to the increased pipe diameter. Typically racers want something quieter if possible (without limiting power of course) because being quiet helps limit fatigue, makes you more aware of your surroundings and makes it less likely for someone in front of you to know exactly where you are. Not sure yet if the race system will bolt to the stock header configuration, will let you know as we develop the parts. Thanks for your feedback!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust R&D for C7