C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I see new on the E92 C7 computer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default What I see new on the E92 C7 computer

So I got my hands on a 2014 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission today. Viewing it through HP Tuners, I see some promising features for future Corvettes.

Many tables in the HP Tuners platform are the same, but there are many new tables. Some new tables are more percent based on TPS or Engine Temperature.

I thought Id list a couple different features and I dig though the tune tonight for future modifications. I can see some easy horsepower and torque left on the table.

First it’s a E92 Controller.
The fuel system type is SIDI, or PFI, or diesel. Keep it on SIDI
Minimum and Maximum Catalyst warm up tables.
1) Idle table are pretty similar with nothing crazy to figure out, and as we build with heads and cams, your calibrator with have to understand a couple new strategies.
New table is are:
rolling idle RPM and Eco multiplier.
For the cold weather folks, there’s a new heater Idle table
New is the Idle launch control.
New is Idle external load

2) Airflow MAF
we still have a MAF airflow table, but it has a sister.

New table is the Airflow2 VS Frequency and it still scans out to 15000 HZs
In the speed density table we still have VE CoEfficient tables
To tune it under the dynamic table, you’ll have to drop the high RPM disable from 4000 to 200 and Re-Enable to 150 RPMS, and tune the LTFT still via the MAF.

Variable Camshaft timing still have the low /Medium/ High tables for intake and exhaust camshaft base angles like the Gen5 L99 Camaros and not used but in the C6.

3) Fuel table
Injector flow rate is different and had a fuel rail pressure multiplier Vs injector flow rate, and an alcohol multiplier.
Now we have many new pulse parameters and split ( double) Pulse, and start of injection tables.
Cutoff DFCO doesn’t have anything crazy new, but does have some new torque based tables.
Open and closed loops also doesn’t have anything crazy new other than more intake valve temperature tables
Power Enrichment can be enabled if above 300 RPMs, but you have to be more than 70% throttle. So it more throttle based. You'll want to drop that number some.
The Power Enrichment table is similar as before in RPMs, but now also dependant on Air Charge Temperature
PE Delay is also based at a minimum of 5000 RPMS and needs more than 20% torque values.

There’s a host of Knock Enrichment tables now.
COT lean cruise is back with many 4 and 8 cylinder tables, but who cares, for performance tuning You’ll disable the Displacement on Demand ( AFM) like you to on the Camaros and stay in 8 cylinder mode.
We still have the Cat over temp protection you’d want to disable even after your AFR WOT is dialed in
New table is TURBO Over Temp protection. I wonder what’s in future planning 

4) Spark Tables
Main spark is pretty standard, but we have resolution down to 1.32 G/Cyl out to 8192 RPMs 
WOT RPMs at.80-1.00 G/CYL is commanding about 26* @ 3400 RPMS down to 15* of spark at 6800RPMs. First I thought that was kind of low, but now in the variable spark table its adding as much at 9* at some levels.
New in High Octane DP table is the Dual pulse fuel mode. The low Octane table is very low spark at WOT anywhere from 8* down to 1*. Talk about conservative. Again the variable spark is higher than we’ve seen in the past.

PE AFR Correction gas. Its still equivalence ratio VS RPM. I zero that out and add it to the main table.
I see a VERY conservative Intake air take spark table. Other than 77 degrees of air intake temps its either adding before 68 degrees, or pulling timing after 86 degrees, I see up to 5 degrees of timing being pulled between 86 and 122 degrees of air intake temps. That’s a killer at a red light when you jump on here.

Variable spark timing has several degrees more timing than the Gen5 Camaros tables and about the same at the C6.
Retarding the decay rate on the knock tables are about the same. Save your motor and don’t touch them. who cares about a couple more HP. Keep them stock unless you have a noisy heads and cam valve train.

5) Torque management
New table is Peak Engine Torque based on alcohol composition % ( damn corn gas)
I like seeing this new table Over boost Torque limits 
Fast Torque Exit is also new with a disable torque delta of 15 Ft. Lbs. Still maxes at though 6042 ( hint )

So the best is we have more new Supercharger, Turbocharger, and SC/TC General tables  Hello boost again of future models.
Since the transmission was a 6 speed manual, the only thing to change is the TPS disable to zero to get rid of the damn 1-4 shift!

what a do like is the tire speed limiter enable/ disable. It saying these tires are only rated for XXX MPH so that's what im giving you

Oh ya, think you have a fast car? Nope, your speed limiter is set at 135 MPH.

That’s the "kids at the candy store look". I still have to deep dive, but there’s power in there boys!
Little more thinking process with this ECM, but I like the direction their going.
Once I get a couple more under my belt, Ill tell you where the power is
Phil

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 10-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

135 mph limiter? I've thought that I've read a few stock cars go over that.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I think you'd bust the 135mph on a simple dyno pull. Nice info btw.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Interesting info thanks. Does anyone know if the new LE3 Caddy 3.6L TT uses the same E92 controller? Could explain why there are turbo settings when it is looking like we'll get another PD blower on the higher end C7 model.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
135 mph limiter? I've thought that I've read a few stock cars go over that.
There are multiple limits listed in the software. Some are hard to tell exactly when they apply. He picked up one of them. The description for that is listed as "Speed Limiter: Speed at which fuel delivery is disabled". There are 10.

They range from 22mph (4WD Low) to 318mph (Speed Limit ETC Fail) on the Sample 2014 Corvette log with an automatic transmission. The tire speed limit is disabled. The "Speed Limiter 2" is listed as "limit" at 181mph and "resume" at 182mph. The description for the parameter is "maximum allowed vehicle speed". With the Tire Speed Limit list as disabled I do not know if the first "Speed Limiter" parameter applies or not.

We have seen a speed on a dyno for a manual at 190 or so. It appeared a limiter kicked in.

Perhaps the OP can tell us what the Speed Limiter 2 shows on the manual log.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Racer X
There are multiple limits listed in the software. Some are hard to tell exactly when they apply. He picked up one of them. The description for that is listed as "Speed Limiter: Speed at which fuel delivery is disabled". There are 10.

They range from 22mph (4WD Low) to 318mph (Speed Limit ETC Fail) on the Sample 2014 Corvette log with an automatic transmission. The tire speed limit is disabled. The "Speed Limiter 2" is listed as "limit" at 181mph and "resume" at 182mph. The description for the parameter is "maximum allowed vehicle speed". With the Tire Speed Limit list as disabled I do not know if the first "Speed Limiter" parameter applies or not.

We have seen a speed on a dyno for a manual at 190 or so. It appeared a limiter kicked in.

Perhaps the OP can tell us what the Speed Limiter 2 shows on the manual log.
Thanks for the explanation, I actually got it. So,this may be a dumb question, is this the same Unit used on the new Silverado but has different parameters because it's on the C7?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

The limiter 2 is set at 199/ resume 201
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 AM
arghx7
Intermediate

Thanks for the post. Can we get a screenshot of the VVT tables ?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Phil,

Met you at the Tuning School several years back. Would love to have a copy of an A6 tune when you get one. Want to see if the mode changes available (sport and track) are sufficient to eliminate the need for a tranny tune. Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Thanks for the explanation, I actually got it. So,this may be a dumb question, is this the same Unit used on the new Silverado but has different parameters because it's on the C7?
I downloaded the software from HP Tuners site. In the sample files the only file for the E92 is the 2014 Corvette. It is my understanding that the Silverado uses the same controller. I think the Cadillac TTV^ uses the same controller. my guess is that it will be on a lot of new products as it has the capability to be used on a wide variety of engine configuration (4,6,8, gas, diesel, DI, port injection, supercharger, turbo, twin turbo, auto, manual, DCT, etc.).
Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I downloaded the software from HP Tuners site. In the sample files the only file for the E92 is the 2014 Corvette. It is my understanding that the Silverado uses the same controller. I think the Cadillac TTV^ uses the same controller. my guess is that it will be on a lot of new products as it has the capability to be used on a wide variety of engine configuration (4,6,8, gas, diesel, DI, port injection, supercharger, turbo, twin turbo, auto, manual, DCT, etc.).
You are correct....GM is very lazy and use something called Global Architecture.....this means one controller and logic can spread across a variety of applications....very much like the use of the E38

Howard
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
So I got my hands on a 2014 C7 Corvette with a manual transmission today. Viewing it through HP Tuners, I see some promising features for future Corvettes.

Many tables in the HP Tuners platform are the same, but there are many new tables. Some new tables are more percent based on TPS or Engine Temperature.

I thought Id list a couple different features and I dig though the tune tonight for future modifications. I can see some easy horsepower and torque left on the table.

1) Idle table are pretty similar with nothing crazy to figure out, and as we build with heads and cams, your calibrator with have to understand a couple new strategies.
New table is are:

2) Airflow MAF

To tune it under the dynamic table, you’ll have to drop the high RPM disable from 4000 to 200 and Re-Enable to 150 RPMS, and tune the LTFT still via the MAF.

Variable Camshaft timing still have the low /Medium/ High tables for intake and exhaust camshaft base angles like the Gen5 L99 Camaros and not used but in the C6.

3) Fuel table
Injector flow rate is different and had a fuel rail pressure multiplier Vs injector flow rate, and an alcohol multiplier.
Now we have many new pulse parameters and split ( double) Pulse, and start of injection tables.
Cutoff DFCO doesn’t have anything crazy new, but does have some new torque based tables.
Open and closed loops also doesn’t have anything crazy new other than more intake valve temperature tables
Power Enrichment can be enabled if above 300 RPMs, but you have to be more than 70% throttle. So it more throttle based. You'll want to drop that number some.
The Power Enrichment table is similar as before in RPMs, but now also dependant on Air Charge Temperature
PE Delay is also based at a minimum of 5000 RPMS and needs more than 20% torque values.

COT lean cruise is back with many 4 and 8 cylinder tables, but who cares, for performance tuning You’ll disable the Displacement on Demand ( AFM) like you to on the Camaros and stay in 8 cylinder mode.
We still have the Cat over temp protection you’d want to disable even after your AFR WOT is dialed in

4) Spark Tables
Main spark is pretty standard, but we have resolution down to 1.32 G/Cyl out to 8192 RPMs 
WOT RPMs at.80-1.00 G/CYL is commanding about 26* @ 3400 RPMS down to 15* of spark at 6800RPMs. First I thought that was kind of low, but now in the variable spark table its adding as much at 9* at some levels.
New in High Octane DP table is the Dual pulse fuel mode. The low Octane table is very low spark at WOT anywhere from 8* down to 1*. Talk about conservative. Again the variable spark is higher than we’ve seen in the past.

PE AFR Correction gas. Its still equivalence ratio VS RPM. I zero that out and add it to the main table.
I see a VERY conservative Intake air take spark table. Other than 77 degrees of air intake temps its either adding before 68 degrees, or pulling timing after 86 degrees, I see up to 5 degrees of timing being pulled between 86 and 122 degrees of air intake temps. That’s a killer at a red light when you jump on here.

Variable spark timing has several degrees more timing than the Gen5 Camaros tables and about the same at the C6.
Retarding the decay rate on the knock tables are about the same. Save your motor and don’t touch them. who cares about a couple more HP. Keep them stock unless you have a noisy heads and cam valve train.

5) Torque management
Fast Torque Exit is also new with a disable torque delta of 15 Ft. Lbs. Still maxes at though 6042 ( hint )

So the best is we have more new Supercharger, Turbocharger, and SC/TC General tables  Hello boost again of future models.
Since the transmission was a 6 speed manual, the only thing to change is the TPS disable to zero to get rid of the damn 1-4 shift!

what a do like is the tire speed limiter enable/ disable. It saying these tires are only rated for XXX MPH so that's what im giving you

That’s the "kids at the candy store look". I still have to deep dive, but there’s power in there boys!
Little more thinking process with this ECM, but I like the direction their going.
Phil
Phil the interesting thing is that the injector pulse width only goes from 0-5 ms.....the rest of the fuel mass is made up from pressure. I'm sure some of this is that an injector running on 65 volts and pressures up to 22 MKpa would have a hard time keeping up. If you log a WOT pull you'll only report 20% DC......multiple that by 4 and your at 80%. This is based off the "1/4" of the time to fire the injector.

HT
Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

New table is are:

2) Airflow MAF

3) Fuel table

4) Spark Tables

5) Torque management

Phil

SO.........does PFADT's new C7 "Pflash" which adds 20HP and 33TQ to the C7, tap into the power found in the "candy store" as you state?

They have already cracked the code to the ECM!!

BTW, my speed limiter in NOT 135MPH.............
Old 10-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You missed one important item. Stoichiometric is now 14.1:1. Finally set for e10 fuel.

I have been changing that now for 9 years here in Wisconsin.

I hit 131 mph yesterday without any problems, so was I within 4 mph of the A-6 top speed?

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

In view of this issue, I thought I would add this footnote. With our heat shield off, the IAT sees +35 degrees while driving (50 degree day) and +50 to 55F at a standstill with the fan blowing hot air directly at the intake and filter. The GM CAI setup shows a delta of only +10F going down the road at 50 mph and +15 to 25F at a stoplight, which as you mention starts the decline of timing after 86F. I have never seen this much IAT heat, and our goal is 2 degrees delta between OAT/IAT.

This whole radiator/fan without a shroud is a real challenge to say the least. Aluminum intakes will be a no no, and will simply heat soak instantly to 130 to 150F on cool days.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim2092
Phil,

Met you at the Tuning School several years back. Would love to have a copy of an A6 tune when you get one. Want to see if the mode changes available (sport and track) are sufficient to eliminate the need for a tranny tune. Thanks
Im hoping to get one this weekend to see the difference. Im not expecting to much new with them. I do like the can drop AFM into D mode and not M mode.

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Phil the interesting thing is that the injector pulse width only goes from 0-5 ms.....the rest of the fuel mass is made up from pressure. I'm sure some of this is that an injector running on 65 volts and pressures up to 22 MKpa would have a hard time keeping up. If you log a WOT pull you'll only report 20% DC......multiple that by 4 and your at 80%. This is based off the "1/4" of the time to fire the injector.

HT
When I saw the flow rate at 121 LBS per HRs, I was ok lets breakout the conversion table lol Now the fuel pressure rate is Mpa

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
SO.........does PFADT's new C7 "Pflash" which adds 20HP and 33TQ to the C7, tap into the power found in the "candy store" as you state?

They have already cracked the code to the ECM!!

BTW, my speed limiter in NOT 135MPH.............
Lots of folks cracked the codes using the trucks ECM, but its different under live events with a 3300 pound car compared to a truck.

Originally Posted by Halltech
You missed one important item. Stoichiometric is now 14.1:1. Finally set for e10 fuel.

I hit 131 mph yesterday without any problems, so was I within 4 mph of the A-6 top speed?
I saw that 14.1 AFR and at first I though they are just looking to be a 1/2 point cruising richer, Then I though damn corn gas!

At least in the PE Enrichment ramp in we're already starting with 1.0000.

When I see a lot in the calibration are tables that we elevated before for performance, GM is doing it naturally now for us. I guess we must have been on the right track the last 16 years with the LSx
With the PE throttle pedal at 70% they really want you to be sure your tipping in before you go into power enrichment to save fuel. Drop those suckers a little lower at 2028 RPMs for cruising. earlier if your jumping on her off the line.

Lots of new fun stuff. homework . homework. homework
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Halltech

Jim,

Ditto that! I guess they finally have acknowledged that E10 is here to stay! I've been doing the same thing so the trims stay in line..

HT

Get notified of new replies

To What I see new on the E92 C7 computer

Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Im hoping to get one this weekend to see the difference. Im not expecting to much new with them. I do like the can drop AFM into D mode and not M mode.

When I saw the flow rate at 121 LBS per HRs, I was ok lets breakout the conversion table lol Now the fuel pressure rate is Mpa

Lots of folks cracked the codes using the trucks ECM, but its different under live events with a 3300 pound car compared to a truck.

I saw that 14.1 AFR and at first I though they are just looking to be a 1/2 point cruising richer, Then I though damn corn gas!

When I see a lot in the calibration are tables that we elevated before for performance, GM is doing it naturally now for us. I guess we must have been on the right track the last 16 years with the LSx
With the PE throttle pedal at 70% they really want you to be sure your tipping in before you go into power enrichment to save fuel. Drop those suckers a little lower at 2028 RPMs for cruising. earlier if your jumping on her off the line.

Phil the only issue with the 121 lbs/hr IFR is that injection time used on these motors (basically just before BDC and until almost TDC cuts that total fuel mass available down quite a bit....I calculated that the injector is closer to 45 lbs/hr factoring the fuel pressure and time to fill. Considering the LS3/LS7 was at 42 its a reasonable size.

Last edited by Redline Motorsports; 10-20-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

You are doing a great job. I would really like to see more cooperation between forum tuners to get the E92 tamed and provide everyone with perfect safe tunes.

I turned off the AFM, and much prefer the "feel" and still see 26.5mpg in Track Mode on the freeway. 32 mpg before turning it off in E mode.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 PM
arghx7
Intermediate

Jim,

Ditto that! I guess they finally have acknowledged that E10 is here to stay! I've been doing the same thing so the trims stay in line..

HT
Currently, all US certification fuel is E0. Upcoming Federal Tier 3 certification fuel is E10. Therefore it makes sense they would switch over now.

Phil the only issue with the 121 lbs/hr IFR is that injection time used on these motors (basically just before BDC and until almost TDC cuts that total fuel mass available down quite a bit....I calculated that the injector is closer to 45 lbs/hr factoring the fuel pressure and time to fill. Considering the LS3/LS7 was at 42 its a reasonable size.
Allowable injection time depends on whether you are willing to let fuel impinge on the piston or bore wall.

Quick Reply: What I see new on the E92 C7 computer