C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed Heads Cam LT1 Engine Dyno Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Jason I may be interested in doing a head swap when I put on the TSP Long Tubes and X pipe I ordered (btw the exhaust system looks AWESOME).

Factory Compression is 11.5 (58-59cc???) how much milling can be done to raise compression before there is intake to head problems, 12.0?????
This engine uses TTY M12 head bolts and they can be bought for roughly 30 bucks and the 7 layer head gaskets are priced right too at around $43 a piece.

I don't want to do a cam, just be nice to have a 360cfm head on the car for $900, GREAT DEAL btw.
What kind of RWHP numbers are you looking for with just a head swap and long tubes. This sound like this might be interesting. I really dread pulling the front of the engine off for the cam swap.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 AM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

What kind of RWHP numbers are you looking for with just a head swap and long tubes. This sound like this might be interesting. I really dread pulling the front of the engine off for the cam swap.
Well the goals for my car are less than 3 grand aftermarket and have 10 second car at around 128-130.
TSP LT's X-pipe $901 shipped (special intro price)
TSP PRC LT1 heads through Exchange probably $1000 once shipped
E85 flex fuel conversion $300
Tune through HPTuners (tuner by trade) $90 for credits
Head gaskets $87
TTY bolts $35
Green Air Filter $115 shipped (I do fabrication on the side and may build a CAI system using a 7inch bellmouth opening with a larger filter)

Through an A8 I would guess around 470rwhp and 485 through M7
cost is roughly $2600 with a few misc parts/fluids and a car making roughly 70rwhp more than stock with perfect drivability.

Cam swaps on the C7 are a little trickery and time consuming, I don't consider it a big deal to swap heads though.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

I wonder what crate engines will be offered. I would like to see a 600hp N/A LT4.
Did you weigh that engine, Jason?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Any packages for the A8 cars?
Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I talked to texas speed, they can mill the heads and get 12.1 Compression out of them.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I really like that your testing everything you sell on an engine dyno and perfecting the recipe. I will definitely be talking to you guys soon as I plan on doing a head cam swap in my car, to build a road course monster.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Crate engines are easy. We have already made just under 700hp with a LT1 stroker 416. I have a 427 short-block here now

Jason
Old 12-12-2014, 04:24 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Papas02C5
Well, that's exactly what I'm finding out on my C7. TONS of potential for high HP on these cars. I would LOVE an 800 rwhp beast.. but for those who live in areas who have a state inspection that requires the use of a "sniffer" to pass the emissions portion of the state inspection, I am greatly limited to keeping my HP upgrades in check. After talking to TONS of locals here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area in Texas, I am overwhelmingly assured that the following "upgrades" will still allow a car to pass the emissions "sniffer" test:

* Headers
* Superchargers (think basic kits.. not the OFF ROAD USE ONLY units)
* Turbochargers (again, same applies.. basic kits)
* CAI
* Intake manifolds (like the basic offering from MSD)

When I've inquired into the use of camshafts and aftermarket heads, I get a WIDE variety of answers (obviously because of all the different combinations). I've asked about CNC ported stock heads and it seems that no one wants to give me a straight answer. Many DO say something to the effect of "it SHOULD pass" or "it would more than likely pass." Camshafts are the same way. They really wake the C7 up but for us peeps in emission controlled areas, it's a roll of the dice.

So, to anyone out there who has a good working knowledge of the C7 as it relates to emissions, can I install a "mild" set of heads (or CNC ported stock heads), a "mild" blower cam in addition to the upgrades that I've already planned for my C7: ECS Supercharger, LT Headers and an ECS meth kit.

There is no sense in spending thousands of dollars on higher HP numbers, only to be told during my state emissions testing that I failed and cannot get my state inspection. I've got the money just burning a hole in my pocket.. haha! But, it seems no one wants to give a definitive YES or NO on the setup listed above or even a combo of the items listed above such as:

Headers, Supercharger, CNC ported stock heads: YES
Headers, Supercharger, Camshaft: NO

Etc.. etc.. etc..
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Well, that's exactly what I'm finding out on my C7. TONS of potential for high HP on these cars. I would LOVE an 800 rwhp beast.. but for those who live in areas who have a state inspection that requires the use of a "sniffer" to pass the emissions portion of the state inspection, I am greatly limited to keeping my HP upgrades in check. After talking to TONS of locals here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area in Texas, I am overwhelmingly assured that the following "upgrades" will still allow a car to pass the emissions "sniffer" test:

* Headers
* Superchargers (think basic kits.. not the OFF ROAD USE ONLY units)
* Turbochargers (again, same applies.. basic kits)
* CAI
* Intake manifolds (like the basic offering from MSD)

When I've inquired into the use of camshafts and aftermarket heads, I get a WIDE variety of answers (obviously because of all the different combinations). I've asked about CNC ported stock heads and it seems that no one wants to give me a straight answer. Many DO say something to the effect of "it SHOULD pass" or "it would more than likely pass." Camshafts are the same way. They really wake the C7 up but for us peeps in emission controlled areas, it's a roll of the dice.

So, to anyone out there who has a good working knowledge of the C7 as it relates to emissions, can I install a "mild" set of heads (or CNC ported stock heads), a "mild" blower cam in addition to the upgrades that I've already planned for my C7: ECS Supercharger, LT Headers and an ECS meth kit.

There is no sense in spending thousands of dollars on higher HP numbers, only to be told during my state emissions testing that I failed and cannot get my state inspection. I've got the money just burning a hole in my pocket.. haha! But, it seems no one wants to give a definitive YES or NO on the setup listed above or even a combo of the items listed above such as:

Headers, Supercharger, CNC ported stock heads: YES
Headers, Supercharger, Camshaft: NO

Etc.. etc.. etc..
You're going to need forged internals if you want 800whp to last you any reasonable amount of time.

My suggestion is you get a standard blower kit, meth injection and some long tubes with cats and keep future upgrades in mind.

You can easily get 650whp from that combo. You can get 700whp from that combo too if you want to push it with more boost (ECS is the most easily upgradable kit for this).

Get a non-meth tune at lower hp to run during the emissions testing. You'll still make 580+whp. I don't honestly know if having a tune using methanol will fail your emissions or not.

Last edited by C7pimp; 12-12-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by C7pimp
You're going to need forged internals if you want 800whp to last you any reasonable amount of time...

...My suggestion is you get a standard blower kit, meth injection and some long tubes with cats and keep future upgrades in mind.
A SOLID 700 rwhp is my target on my A6 Z51. Anything approaching 800hp, I fully understand the need for forged internals.. so 700hp on the ground should be pushing it but still in the "safe" realm. I'm wondering if the ECS supercharger (restrictor plate removed), meth kit, long tube headers + MSD intake manifold + CNC ported stock heads will be enough for a true 700 rwhp in my A6 (and be able to still pass my emissions test)
Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Houston C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A SOLID 700 rwhp is my target on my A6 Z51. Anything approaching 800hp, I fully understand the need for forged internals.. so 700hp on the ground should be pushing it but still in the "safe" realm. I'm wondering if the ECS supercharger (restrictor plate removed), meth kit, long tube headers + MSD intake manifold + CNC ported stock heads will be enough for a true 700 rwhp in my A6 (and be able to still pass my emissions test)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the counties in Texas that check emissions (including Harris, where I have to get my inspections) simply plug in your OBDII port and check for emission related codes, as well as visually inspect for emissions equipment presence. Sniffing went away years ago. At least this is what I recall when getting vehicles inspected.

Anyone else in the Houston or DFW metro areas know for sure?

Guess I'll go visit my old buddy Google and see what he comes up with.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Houston C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Houston C7
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the counties in Texas that check emissions (including Harris, where I have to get my inspections) simply plug in your OBDII port and check for emission related codes, as well as visually inspect for emissions equipment presence. Sniffing went away years ago. At least this is what I recall when getting vehicles inspected.

Mr. Google confirmed no sniffing for all 1996 and newer gas engine vehicles; OBDII check only.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Correct, no sniffer and you don't run on the rollers. Just plug in and run the tests. Funny thing is my 08 has been inspected 3 times in DFW with the E-Force blower and 4 times with the catted ARH headers. They never opened the hood and never mentioned the headers.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Mr. Google confirmed no sniffing for all 1996 and newer gas engine vehicles; OBDII check only.
Hmmm, interesting facts about emissions:
http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/smog-check.php
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/.../faq_obdii.htm
Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by wallyj
Correct, no sniffer and you don't run on the rollers. Just plug in and run the tests. Funny thing is my 08 has been inspected 3 times in DFW with the E-Force blower and 4 times with the catted ARH headers. They never opened the hood and never mentioned the headers.
Excellent! I understand about the ECU throwing codes that may fail me so like it was mentioned in the other post, have a tune for everyday driving and have a separate tune for my emissions testing.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:15 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Crate engines are easy. We have already made just under 700hp with a LT1 stroker 416. I have a 427 short-block here now

Jason
This brings up a good point. With the cam install costs on these motors it very well could bring a short block with a blower cam into play.
Jason, can breakdown the following costs,
Vvt dod delete plus 32 fuel lobe parts and install cost
Short block with the above cam
Forged short block with above cam
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
This brings up a good point. With the cam install costs on these motors it very well could bring a short block with a blower cam into play.
Jason, can breakdown the following costs,
Vvt dod delete plus 32 fuel lobe parts and install cost
Short block with the above cam
Forged short block with above cam
Also wet sump, no VVT, no variable displacement, no DI. What would it weigh?? How much to add all this lightness? That's new oil pan, rods, pistons, heads.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas Speed Heads Cam LT1 Engine Dyno Video

Old 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM
officermartinez
Pro

* Thread revived *

I finally ended up getting my supercharger installed a few months ago along with ARH long tubes, ECS Alky Meth, LMR breather and a tune. My final numbers are 662 rwhp / 585 tq. Today, I drove to another tuner today and we discussed some TSP CNC'd factory heads and their VVT-1 camshaft (with forged / hardened internals) and a retune. I'm told 100 extra ponies can be had on top of my current power levels. Do any other C7 owners have any experience with this type of setup?

ECS 1500 (unrestricted) supercharger
ECS Alky Meth Control - 100% VP M1 Methanol
American Racing 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers (with cats)
LMR Breather
TSP CNC heads
TSP VVT-1 Camshaft

I'd like to hear any feedback that you might have.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:17 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

* Thread revived *

I finally ended up getting my supercharger installed a few months ago along with ARH long tubes, ECS Alky Meth, LMR breather and a tune. My final numbers are 662 rwhp / 585 tq. Today, I drove to another tuner today and we discussed some TSP CNC'd factory heads and their VVT-1 camshaft (with forged / hardened internals) and a retune. I'm told 100 extra ponies can be had on top of my current power levels. Do any other C7 owners have any experience with this type of setup?

ECS 1500 (unrestricted) supercharger
ECS Alky Meth Control - 100% VP M1 Methanol
American Racing 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers (with cats)
LMR Breather
TSP CNC heads
TSP VVT-1 Camshaft

I'd like to hear any feedback that you might have.
I think running ~762 RWHP will greatly impact the longevity of the engine. Over 700 I think forged internals are needed.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I think running ~762 RWHP will greatly impact the longevity of the engine. Over 700 I think forged internals are needed.
He does mention above he will be doing forged internals.

To officermartinez. I think 80-100 to the tire would be seen with a good heads and cam combo.

What are your goals though? Is 700 to the tire your goal? If it is just pulley down for a little more boost and maybe do a cam to get a little more fuel out of it. You could get to 700 with a cam swap easy with your 10 psi and meth. My car made 660 with 7 psi, cam, headers, and meth. Would be well over 700 if I removed the restrictor and did 10 psi and I think your car would too.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed Heads Cam LT1 Engine Dyno Video