C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Active Fuel Management: 4-cylinder mode - tuning this out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Gilk43
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
It is made by Diablosport so google it and look for the best deal.

Could possibly void your warranty if the see you have altered your stock tune or in effect reflashed your ECU

That would be your call to make .
I was ready to purchase the T-1000 to remove the AFM. However I spoke to the service manager at my dealer who said " it will positively void the warranty". Now I have second thoughts and will probably stay with the AFM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilk43
I was ready to purchase the T-1000 to remove the AFM. However I spoke to the service manager at my dealer who said " it will positively void the warranty". Now I have second thoughts and will probably stay with the AFM.
What if you tune AFM out and then return the tune to stock only when you bring the car into the dealership for services; and then upload the AFM delete tune after they're done?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Gilk43
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
What if you tune AFM out and then return the tune to stock only when you bring the car into the dealership for services; and then upload the AFM delete tune after they're done?
According to the service tech as soon as you connect the T-1000 the computer knows you have done it and the warranty is voided. I had asked the same question as you did. Not happy with the answer. Possibly he is incorrect? If so the AFM would be gone. Anyone have additional info?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its terrible you have to buy the tuner to turn it off. As long as you keep your stock exhaust you can probably live with the AFM until you are out of warranty. I just don't like the complexity of the lifter setup. Just more things to possibly cause problems. A stick shift was out of the question for me but the should have given the auto owners the choice to only have AFM when in ECO mode and turned it off in all other modes including tour
Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Gilk43
1) Magnuson–Moss is your friend.

2) Talk to DiabloSport directly. Their product does not change the write counter or alter the CVNs that I know of. Same with Pfadt. So long as the tune is removed before returning to the dealer, there should be no way to see any new calibrations written when scanned with GDS/Tech3. Too much to go into here...

Last edited by Theta; 12-29-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
RocketScientist47 (08-14-2019)
Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 AM
Flyboy_2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Active Fuel Management: 4-cylinder mode - tuning this out?

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I have a 7 speed manual and I use Eco mode driving on the interstate for distance. You barely notice it and who cares hat the car sounds like at speed down the highway
I have a 2015 C7 Z51 7 speed manual. Cylinder Deactivation in Eco Mode runs very rough. It feels as though the vehicle is misfiring when it kicks in and out of V4. It's very uncomfortable so I don't plan to use it at all. I’ve read some posts saying they can’t feel it at all. Maybe there’s something wrong with mine, I don’t know.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2015 A8. AFM kicked in all driving modes, including track. I did not like the AFM, because took some throttle to get into 8 cylinders again, making the car feel like operating with a lag. I had AFM disabled as part of the Trifecta tune I bought. The car is more responsive and fun to drive. Trifecta also increased the throttle response. Maybe a solution for me eventually would be to increase the throttle response and leave the AFM. I'm curious to see what would result.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To meet EPA mileage across the fleet GM includes AFM on the corvette. A high performance vehicle for sure. No true racing engine has the complicated lifter setup of cylinder deactivation. I would not buy a hot rod with that. Even if you turn it off the lifter setup is still there.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I get a lot of questions about this after guys change their exhaust to a louder system. Its more evident when the exhaust flows more cruising and you can hear it drop into AFM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

What's that ole saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
My question regarding the C7 AFM had less to do with exhaust sound and more to do with potential lifter, PVC, intake valve and plug fouling issues over time on those four cylinders that are shutdown by AFM based on previous issues with GM V8 engines using similar technologies. Apparently, automatics operate in AFM in all modes. I'm sure the tuners are already working this as an option for their customers. I believe GM issued a TSB for their 2007+ Tahoe/Suburban models. I don't know why they chose to add AFM to a Corvette; leave it in trucks and sedans.
Tuners are already able to tune it out I'm pretty sure. If you want to disable it for reliability issues, it seems like you'd want to swap the lifters out to the non-collapsible type as well?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Newdriver
5th Gear

I used the Diablo Intune to tune out AFM which required doing the 93 octane Diablo tune.

I am about to go for my first free oil change at 6k miles. I will be restoring to the original setting before going in. I expect all to go as if there was no tune at all.

I will report my results here.

I have enjoyed the responsiveness having the AFM tuned out on my automatic C7. No V-4 for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Newdriver
I used the Diablo Intune to tune out AFM which required doing the 93 octane Diablo tune.

I am about to go for my first free oil change at 6k miles. I will be restoring to the original setting before going in. I expect all to go as if there was no tune at all.

I will report my results here.

I have enjoyed the responsiveness having the AFM tuned out on my automatic C7. No V-4 for me.
I highly doubt the dealer will check your ECM for an oil change. If you blew your motor, then they would need to send ECM data to GM and GM would deny the claim but most dealers don't really go looking for it...
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
The problem with the cylinder deactivation is that it adds weight and complexity to the engine and exhaust.

There needs to be an ECM fix for taking it off and then a simpler exhaust could be installed.

Take the cylinder deactivation off the car and then the engine is 30 pounds lighter and the exhaust is 30 pounds lighter
How is the engine 30 lbs lighter without cylinder de-activation?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well . . . I'm scheduled to go C7 shopping tomorrow, but you guys have scared the hell out of me with this AFM stuff!

Vince

Last edited by cenzo; 11-12-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is a link to a part that allows the AFM mechanism to be removed from the engine:

http://store.katechengines.com/gen-5...over-p440.aspx

Last edited by B Stead; 11-12-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Mluzzy1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cenzo
Well . . . I'm scheduled to go C7 shopping tomorrow, but you guys have scared the hell out of me with this AFM stuff!

Vince
Don't be afraid! If you are getting an automatic with stock exhaust either NPP or not it's fine. It's when you replace with an aftermarket or even add the NPP exhaust to a non NPP car that it becomes noticeable.

I did the latter and now I either use the paddle shifters around town in manual mode(locks out the AFM ) or plug in the AFM Disable from Range(199.00) and happily stay in v8 mode. The only downside on the AFM Disable from Range is it will drain the battery if you do not drive the car every couple of days.....

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Active Fuel Management: 4-cylinder mode - tuning this out?

Old 11-21-2015, 11:28 AM
hansesm
Racer

Default You Can Turn it Off

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
I have an A6 and the eco function is prevelent in ALL modes, even
TRACK.
if you run the A6 in manual mode the feature is not available and it will run in V8 mode only. Hat tip to Ron Fellows PDS for this tip
Old 06-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Cogf16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cenzo

Vince
Agreed!!! I drove a '17 Camaro with AFM and it dissuaded me from even considering a Camaro. Now I read that the C-7 A8 has it, even in sport and track modes??? Sucks. Will really make me consider a C-7.......
Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Flyboy_2
Heel & Toe

Default Afm

Originally Posted by Cogf16
Agreed!!! I drove a '17 Camaro with AFM and it dissuaded me from even considering a Camaro. Now I read that the C-7 A8 has it, even in sport and track modes??? Sucks. Will really make me consider a C-7.......
With the auto transmission AFM is active in D (Drive) at all times in all modes. If you select M (Manual) with paddle shifters, then it is not active.

Quick Reply: C7 Active Fuel Management: 4-cylinder mode - tuning this out?