C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a cost effective track wheel and tire setup for my Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:34 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by leadville1
I just got my track tires.

I run the Interlagos TSW 18 Front/19 Back

They clear Z51 brakes and they also clear the new Wilwoods.

I was using slicks but just changed to R888's

275/35/18 Front
296/30/19 Rear

The tires showed up today and they are huge, glad I didn't go 305 on the rears.

The PSS are good but the Wilwoods overwhelmed the tires. They need more tire now.
any issues with rubbing brake ducts or rubbing anywhere?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM
pgviper
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a z51 car with the MSRC, would switching to an 18/19 wheel setup severly affect the handling of the car in a negative way? I mean, there are absoplutely no options for the 19/20 setup that comes stock. It's incredible!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:00 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pgviper
If you have a z51 car with the MSRC, would switching to an 18/19 wheel setup severly affect the handling of the car in a negative way? I mean, there are absoplutely no options for the 19/20 setup that comes stock. It's incredible!!!
I have a Z51 car w/ base 18/19s & as long as the tire height stagger is correct, no issues w/ AH/TC.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VThokies
Anything new to add to this?
Well, I'll just chime in here to say I'm trying out the 18 x 10.5 rim square set up this weekend with some scrub Conti 305/650/18 G5000 (real sticky) from Todd at GT Racing Tires (on the forum). The above pics show car with suspension extended which is a whole different critter than compressed (better wheel/tire clearances compressed).
In shop testing the fronts (The rears could go bigger without issues) with the car loaded and without wheel spacers I can get 1 1/8 turns on the steering wheel of 1-1/4 total at wheel lock before tire hits the air deflector. In practical terms that means no problem for tracking since you never turn the wheel any where near that much on track and rarely even in the paddock because you're torturing the tires over 1 turn. I found I can do most anything I want with 1 turn of the wheel in the paddock.
Looking forward to trying to steer the car better with the gas pedal with the square setup since with the stock Mich PSS's the rear has way more grip than the front causing lots of [safer, but not as fun] push with the computers off.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=savage;1588412953]i ran the c5 z06 wheels all summer on a c7 non z51( here's the poop) the 17x9.5 worked great with 295/35/17's on front of non z51, the 18x10.5 also work well on front with 295/30/18 or 315/30/18. NOW THE REAR! the 18x10.5 with 315/30/18 hit my rear inner fenders lips so bad that they are gone. wrong offset by 20 mm( 8 th's of a inch) i even tried putting the z51 sways and shocks on to stop the hitting, did not help. i ordered forgeline ga3's off ben x and a new z51 vert, maybe if i used a 295/30/18 on rear instead of 315/30/18 i would have not lost the lips. enough[/QUOTE

I have the same setup but with the 295/40/18 on the back. no go. Still looking for a solution.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

I just ran my 2014 Z51 M7 for a track day yesterday with my setup of four C5Z06 10.5x18" wheels with Nitto NT-01 315/30/8 on all four corners. My buddy with his 2015 Z06 with iron brakes ran with the identical wheel and tire setup along with me. We both ran without any tire issues. Grip was very good, and only rubbing is if driving in the paddock in either car and trying to go full-lock where you get slight rubbing of the brake ducts in the front. Easy to avoid the rubbing.

Of course my Z51 tranny overheated with 300 F temp and gauge in the red. I did a cool down lap and temp was still in the red, and then I drove outside the track in 4th at about 50 mph and it took about 10-15 minutes for the M7's transmission temperature to come down. There is no way a cool down lap will reduce temperatures enough. Track I was driving has many 2nd gear corners.

And then I threw and engine check light at the track. In the morning when I started the car the main dash display was blank. Dash went back to normal after a re-start.

So 2nd day on track with my Z51, and 2nd time it has to go to the dealer after a track day. That's a 100% "best track Corvette ever" fail record in my book, but it was a lot of fun on track.

Square setup for the tires is a little loose (oversteer) when pushing the car real hard. Not crazy loose, but you need to pay attention. Car was in Track mode, PTM Sport 2 for the day. I will try to dial that out with some aftermarket sway bars I have sitting on the bench.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Report on running the setup described in my last post
Track temp data posted in "Road course Upgrades and Review DeWitts, Wilwood ZO6 Grills"
Car: 2015 C7 Z51

Previous tires: Stock Mich PSS front: 245/35ZR/19, diameter 25.8, rear: 285/30ZR 20 dia. 26.5

Tires: 305/650/18 Continental full slick (diameter 25.5)
Rims: 10.5x18

Report:
Tires fit in car ok with limitations. i,e., limited to one turn of steering wheel without rubbing (at 1-1/8 turn) on brake air deflector (not a problem for me). They stick out just proud of fender lip (with 2° neg camber) and rub slightly on track when suspension is depressed on limit of adhesion cornering coupled with little bumps. Did not damage rolled edge of Expel Ulitmate 8 mil car bra. However, the square setup I personally really like. I could drive the car at the limit of tire adhesion (in Track/Race) and steer it with the gas pedal MUCH better than with the stock size offset front to rear and MUCH better than in the other modes which make the car numb and unpredictable (and heats brakes).
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by descartesfool
I just ran my 2014 Z51 M7 for a track day yesterday with my setup of four C5Z06 10.5x18" wheels with Nitto NT-01 315/30/8 on all four corners. My buddy with his 2015 Z06 with iron brakes ran with the identical wheel and tire setup along with me. We both ran without any tire issues. Grip was very good, and only rubbing is if driving in the paddock in either car and trying to go full-lock where you get slight rubbing of the brake ducts in the front. Easy to avoid the rubbing.

Square setup for the tires is a little loose (oversteer) when pushing the car real hard. Not crazy loose, but you need to pay attention. Car was in Track mode, PTM Sport 2 for the day. I will try to dial that out with some aftermarket sway bars I have sitting on the bench.
How do your Nitto 01's fit on the fender lip? I know your diameter is just less than a 1/4" shorter at 25.35. But on 10.5 rims are you rubbing the fender on hard cornering with bumps? I stuck a GoPro behind the wheel on one run to watch and with a full 2-1/2" standing still I was surprised how much compression ocurred on track. Details of your new aftermarket anti-sway bar?
For some success in offsetting temperature issues see my post as described in my last post here.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:46 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CeeSeven
How do your Nitto 01's fit on the fender lip? I know your diameter is just less than a 1/4" shorter at 25.35. But on 10.5 rims are you rubbing the fender on hard cornering with bumps? I stuck a GoPro behind the wheel on one run to watch and with a full 2-1/2" standing still I was surprised how much compression ocurred on track. Details of your new aftermarket anti-sway bar?
For some success in offsetting temperature issues see my post as described in my last post here.

Zero rubbing issues on fender lip in either my Z51 or my buddie's Z06. Track we were running on is very smooth, so can't comment about bumps affecting anything.

Sway bars I have are by LG. I am still not modifying the car much until I no longer have to go to dealer for warranty repair or checks due to CEL and stuff.

I wrapped part of the exhaust pipe near the tranny with DEI Titanium wrap (just from X pipe to muffler pipe clamp. Certainly didn't prevent it from getting to 300 F like before. I plan to take mufflers off with the associated pipes to wrap that back pipe section as there is no good access to do it now.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:54 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a 2014 Z51 MN7 with MRC. It is lowered on stock bolts.
I have ordered new wheels.... 19x10 fronts (56 mm), 20x11 rears (79 mm).
I plan on putting Toyo R888 tires ... 305x30x19 front, 315x30x20 rear.
I currently have Toyo R888 265x35x19 front, and 285x35x20 rear on it,
and we have NO RUBBING. We have autocrossed it in this configuration twice now,
putting in about 30 or so runs.
Since the yet to be acquired larger sized tires are essentially a bit smaller in diameter
than the ones I have on the car now, I expect no rubbing issues.

Oh yeah...
Front Camber neg 1.7 and 1/16" toe out
Rear Camber neg 1.2 and zero toe
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Zero rubbing issues on fender lip in either my Z51 or my buddie's Z06. Track we were running on is very smooth, so can't comment about bumps affecting anything.

Sway bars I have are by LG. I am still not modifying the car much until I no longer have to go to dealer for warranty repair or checks due to CEL and stuff.

I wrapped part of the exhaust pipe near the tranny with DEI Titanium wrap (just from X pipe to muffler pipe clamp. Certainly didn't prevent it from getting to 300 F like before. I plan to take mufflers off with the associated pipes to wrap that back pipe section as there is no good access to do it now.
OK, thanks. If it helps, I wrapped my pipes from just behind the flat stiffener plate covering the pipes as far as I could reach up the rise over the axle/spring, etc. just before the front exhaust actuators. It was a bitch. Worse still to get to were the completely unprotected diff lines going to the diff cooler. Man! It's tight in there. Got some DEI adhesive foil around them - after about an hour and several cuts and scrapes. Wanted to do just about anything short of dropping the whole rear suspension assembly to get some additional pipe wrap between muff and front actuators. But then I thought about the actuators failing because of heat and decided to skip it and let the pipes bleed off some heat past the trans.
Don't know if your oil temps are high like mine were, but after installing an aluminum blocking plate covered on the Cat side with DEI adhesive foil between the Cat and oil cooler - coupled with DEI Radiator Relief (water wetter) my oil AND coolant temps dropped 40° on track with only 12° ambient difference.
This is the first weekend I've been able to just run hard for whole 20 min sessions and not have temperature issues.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
GoldenOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks. If it helps, I wrapped my pipes from just behind the flat stiffener plate covering the pipes as far as I could reach up the rise over the axle/spring, etc. just before the front exhaust actuators. It was a bitch. Worse still to get to were the completely unprotected diff lines going to the diff cooler. Man! It's tight in there. Got some DEI adhesive foil around them - after about an hour and several cuts and scrapes. Wanted to do just about anything short of dropping the whole rear suspension assembly to get some additional pipe wrap between muff and front actuators. But then I thought about the actuators failing because of heat and decided to skip it and let the pipes bleed off some heat past the trans.
Don't know if your oil temps are high like mine were, but after installing an aluminum blocking plate covered on the Cat side with DEI adhesive foil between the Cat and oil cooler - coupled with DEI Radiator Relief (water wetter) my oil AND coolant temps dropped 40° on track with only 12° ambient difference.
This is the first weekend I've been able to just run hard for whole 20 min sessions and not have temperature issues.

Hope that helps.
any pictures of the blocking plate and wrap by the oil cooler would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoldenOne
any pictures of the blocking plate and wrap by the oil cooler would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to take this thread sideways since it is about tires. I'll post pics of the oil cooler shield on this thread.

"Road course Upgrades and Review DeWitts, Wilwood ZO6 Grills"

I didn't take any pics of the DEI exhaust wrap and the car isn't going up on stands for a while. But I'll take one next time I'm under there. Looking forward to a break from that though.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

I don't want to take this thread sideways since it is about tires. I'll post pics of the oil cooler shield on this thread.

"Road course Upgrades and Review DeWitts, Wilwood ZO6 Grills"

I didn't take any pics of the DEI exhaust wrap and the car isn't going up on stands for a while. But I'll take one next time I'm under there. Looking forward to a break from that though.
New pics posted of DEI exhaust wrap and oil cooler shield on the thread listed in this quote above.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Report on running the setup described in my last post
Track temp data posted in "Road course Upgrades and Review DeWitts, Wilwood ZO6 Grills"
Car: 2015 C7 Z51

Previous tires: Stock Mich PSS front: 245/35ZR/19, diameter 25.8, rear: 285/30ZR 20 dia. 26.5

Tires: 305/650/18 Continental full slick (diameter 25.5)
Rims: 10.5x18

Report:
Tires fit in car ok with limitations. i,e., limited to one turn of steering wheel without rubbing (at 1-1/8 turn) on brake air deflector (not a problem for me). They stick out just proud of fender lip (with 2° neg camber) and rub slightly on track when suspension is depressed on limit of adhesion cornering coupled with little bumps. Did not damage rolled edge of Expel Ulitmate 8 mil car bra. However, the square setup I personally really like. I could drive the car at the limit of tire adhesion (in Track/Race) and steer it with the gas pedal MUCH better than with the stock size offset front to rear and MUCH better than in the other modes which make the car numb and unpredictable (and heats brakes).
Well, after reviewing the data in the Cosworth Toolbox program on the car's telemetry I didn't do as well on track as I thought. I loved the way it felt and handled. But the data shows that I actually never exceeded 1.19 g's lateral. I did that much with the stock Mich PSS's. Got faster lap times, but chalk that up to being on the same track again. So, just experience rather than actual tire advantage. Just wanted to set the record straight. Decartesfool is probably right: the back end was just plain a little loose. More rear tire would have yielded better cornering g's and faster lap times.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I don't understand spending $60K+ on a car and trying to save an extra $2K by buying Chinese cast wheels, when they are going to be used while the car sees the highest loads it will ever experience. Why risk damage to your car and damage to yourself?
It's like tools, save up and buy quality.
You do realize the stock wheels are made in China. Check the stamp on back.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
You do realize the stock wheels are made in China. Check the stamp on back.
do you think the same production tolerance/standards are the same on a wheel from GM and a wheel from Bob and Jim's TSW?

Get notified of new replies

To What's a cost effective track wheel and tire setup for my Z51?

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
do you think the same production tolerance/standards are the same on a wheel from GM and a wheel from Bob and Jim's TSW?
You would be surprised actually Higgs. TSW's (although I would not run them, not for lack of quality though) meet TUV and JWL/VIA standards and are flow formed versus the lesser low pressure cast like the OEM wheels. Now that's all on paper stuff of course. On paper they look to actually exceed OEM wheels. Quality control is something we are not privy too, however...
Old 05-30-2015, 08:29 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Both the Z06 and Z51 OEM wheels are made in China.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 PM
George33
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to chime in, I had a wonderful setup with a set of 18" CCW Wheels.

On my C7 Z51 I ran 18x10's up front with 295/30's and 18x11's in the rear with 315/30 Hoosiers and no issues.

Incredible grip and very strong braking with Carbo Tech brake pads in all 4 corners. Unfortunately, I just sold the car due to a serious shoulder surgery and also selling the wheel & tire package. PM for details.

Lots of other setups are good depending on how your car is set up. Mine was lowered slightly and corner balanced.

By way of reference, I'm an advanced driver and instructor with experience with lots of track cars (including Diasio, GT3, etc.) and I can tell you this C7 Z51 was amazing in the corners.

Quick Reply: What's a cost effective track wheel and tire setup for my Z51?