C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Brake Pad Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 AM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I just wanted to drop by and give a big thank you to everyone who has posted info on pad replacement in this thread. After reading through the info in this thread I worked up the courage to tackle the pad swap to Carbotechs this evening on my 2015 Z51. I am pretty mechanical, I installed a HUD in my 2008 1LT. But it's been a while since I have messed with brakes. I must say this couldn't have been easier. It took me around 3 hours to complete. I was cleaning the wheel wells, applying a fabric protectant to the carpeted liners, and applying a sealant to the barrels of the wheels. I also had two neighbors walk over to inquire as to "what kind if car is that"? Anyone one the fence about doing this get off. Also my front calipers did not have the double sided tape that others have reported. Maybe they changed this on the '15 models. Again thanks to this forum!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by richscorvettes
We're away at the moment but will post a picture when we return.

Our wheels are chrome.

I doubt regular enamel would hold up but I haven't tried it.

Rich
We've now returned from our trips and I recall being asked to post a picture of the wheel installed. Below is a picture of the passenger rear wheel installed.

Over the years I've also designed two wheel installation tools you may find helpful. One is a set of "wheel lug extenders" which help align the lugs. The other is a set of rollers which mount to a floor jack to lift the wheel in place. Sure makes it easier on the back!

Hope the pictures are of help.

Rich
Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

Rich,

That was me that asked for the photos. Thanks. I like yours so much that I plan to have my rotors red powered coated. I also like the reflection you get on your chrome wheels. Although, my wheels are black, I'm sure they'll look great.

Also, the extensions are very clever. I have a lathe in my basement and I just may turn a set for myself.

Thanks again.

Mariano (Alfie)

Last edited by Mariano; 10-07-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my Carbotech install today. On the front passenger side they popped right out with no tape, on the driver side they had the tape and took a little force to get the old pads out. The one thing I found strange was that the clip on the driver side was different than the clip on the passenger side, is there a reason for this? I am looking forward to less brake dust. So far they feel great, time will tell.
Eric
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 AM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

My Carbotech 1521's were waiting for me when I got home at 6pm today. I started on them at around 6:40pm. Started with the driver's side front. Being the first time working on Vette brakes / Brembos, it took me right at an hour for the first caliper. This included washing/drying the wheel thoroughly. Getting the 2nd pin back in was what I had trouble with on the first caliper. I finally found a way to get it seated - made mental note for next caliper.

The Passenger front was much quicker and I stopped for dinner at about 8:25. Fronts done and wheels are looking good - barrels and all.

Went back out at 9pm and did the rears. These were a piece of cake compared to the fronts. The spring/clip "thingee" was much more user friendly on the rears and getting the pins to line up with the holes on the face of the calipers was almost automatic. After cleaning rear wheels and cleaning the garage up, I took it for a road test and some "bedding" as per Adam's recommendation. These things bite pretty darn well compared to the Brembos. I know there is realistically a little less stopping power with these being a lower dusting compound, but I was hard pressed to notice it on my road test.

By 10:30 I pulled back into my garage and re-checked my lugs with my torque wrench. All good and I called it a night. Cleaned up and decided to let everyone know that I'm a happy camper with this mod so far. I realize $350 for brake pads isn't cheap, but the OEMs seem to price out pretty close to the Carbotechs when I was doing my searches. And, if all the previous Carbotech-ers are correct, my black wheels should hopefully stay looking better between washes.

Big thanks to Adam for giving me some tips on the install as well as a super fast shipment. I would highly recommend him for getting Carbotechs!!!

Anyone on the fence about swapping pads because they think they "can't" do it, should rest easy knowing it's not as scary as it may seem!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by c7gman
My Carbotech 1521's were waiting for me when I got home at 6pm today. I started on them at around 6:40pm. Started with the driver's side front. Being the first time working on Vette brakes / Brembos, it took me right at an hour for the first caliper. This included washing/drying the wheel thoroughly. Getting the 2nd pin back in was what I had trouble with on the first caliper. I finally found a way to get it seated - made mental note for next caliper.

The Passenger front was much quicker and I stopped for dinner at about 8:25. Fronts done and wheels are looking good - barrels and all.

Went back out at 9pm and did the rears. These were a piece of cake compared to the fronts. The spring/clip "thingee" was much more user friendly on the rears and getting the pins to line up with the holes on the face of the calipers was almost automatic. After cleaning rear wheels and cleaning the garage up, I took it for a road test and some "bedding" as per Adam's recommendation. These things bite pretty darn well compared to the Brembos. I know there is realistically a little less stopping power with these being a lower dusting compound, but I was hard pressed to notice it on my road test.

By 10:30 I pulled back into my garage and re-checked my lugs with my torque wrench. All good and I called it a night. Cleaned up and decided to let everyone know that I'm a happy camper with this mod so far. I realize $350 for brake pads isn't cheap, but the OEMs seem to price out pretty close to the Carbotechs when I was doing my searches. And, if all the previous Carbotech-ers are correct, my black wheels should hopefully stay looking better between washes.

Big thanks to Adam for giving me some tips on the install as well as a super fast shipment. I would highly recommend him for getting Carbotechs!!!

Anyone on the fence about swapping pads because they think they "can't" do it, should rest easy knowing it's not as scary as it may seem!
Thank you for the kind words enjoy
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Quick Reply: C7 Brake Pad Installation