C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American racing headers full length vs mid length!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 AM
z0vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default American racing headers full length vs mid length!

Hi guys,

Looking for American racing headers for my bro's C7, dealer offered us different sizes of these headers that made it very hard to choose the best set.
We were looking at the 1.78 long tube headers. But it seams that they offer them in full length and mid length!
Please advice
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by z0vette
Hi guys,

Looking for American racing headers for my bro's C7, dealer offered us different sizes of these headers that made it very hard to choose the best set.
We were looking at the 1.78 long tube headers. But it seams that they offer them in full length and mid length!
Please advice

The long tubes are available in 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" primary. The mid lengths are 1 3/4" primary only.

The mid length header is for the guy who doesn't plan to extensively modify his C7 and will be happy with a cold air and headers. You will see VERY nice gains in low end torque and power with these. The mid lengths retain your factory H pipe/secondary cats as well making them more cost effective.

The long tube systems are more for the guy looking for maximum performance gains as well as someone who will likely modify his engine further... IE supercharger/cam kit etc...

Hope this helps a bit.
The following users liked this post:
khartford (05-05-2019)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 AM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
The long tubes are available in 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" primary. The mid lengths are 1 3/4" primary only.

The mid length header is for the guy who doesn't plan to extensively modify his C7 and will be happy with a cold air and headers. You will see VERY nice gains in low end torque and power with these. The mid lengths retain your factory H pipe/secondary cats as well making them more cost effective.

The long tube systems are more for the guy looking for maximum performance gains as well as someone who will likely modify his engine further... IE supercharger/cam kit etc...

Hope this helps a bit.
Ron,
Thanks for the input.

Also from my research, the mid-lengths are easier to snake up into the engine bay and require less floor clearance for those DIY'ers who are putting their cars on jack stands. Would you say this is correct?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
Ron,
Thanks for the input.

Also from my research, the mid-lengths are easier to snake up into the engine bay and require less floor clearance for those DIY'ers who are putting their cars on jack stands. Would you say this is correct?

If you are performing the install on jack stands the mid lengths will be a bit easier to get under the car and into position. If you are on a lift the long tubes literally fall into place.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
adamgl
Racer

Long tubes all the way. Great by themselves or fully modded. Leaving power on the table with mids.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing

Hope this helps a bit.
Hey Ron,

Any input on the sound difference between the mids and LT?

Are the mids noticeably quieter than the LT?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
0Apex Chase
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
Hey Ron,

Any input on the sound difference between the mids and LT?

Are the mids noticeably quieter than the LT?
The length and diameter of the primaries will effect tone but will not have any real impact on volume. Eliminating the stock cats is what gets you the extra volume.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Chase
The length and diameter of the primaries will effect tone but will not have any real impact on volume. Eliminating the stock cats is what gets you the extra volume.
That is the reason I am curious about it since the mid-lengths replace 1 set of cats with high flow, but leave the stock rear set in place.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Matt26
That is the reason I am curious about it since the mid-lengths replace 1 set of cats with high flow, but leave the stock rear set in place.

We noticed a deeper tone when testing the mid lengths. The exhaust was SLIGHTLY less audible and I do attribute this to having the OE secondary cats in place.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 PM
z0vette
Instructor

Thank you ron for the valuable info, we are planing to go with heads and cam next month. So shall we go with the long full length and off road x-pipe for now? Will it be a good idea if we install it without the heads and cam for now (hp gain wise)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by z0vette
Thank you ron for the valuable info, we are planing to go with heads and cam next month. So shall we go with the long full length and off road x-pipe for now? Will it be a good idea if we install it without the heads and cam for now (hp gain wise)
If you are going heads/cam definitely go 1 7/8" long tubes... Catted Vs non catted is up to you, but we lost zero HP when we installed our Catted X pipe..

You will see nice gains with the long tubes even with stock heads/cam. I have a thread in the tech forum somewhere showing a stock A6 C7 Vs tuned Vs ARH long tubes Vs ARH long tubes with tune... It picked up power everywhere
Old 01-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Blown-C7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ron,

I am going with a supercharger on our C7, and wonder if I go with the long tubes what power gains I can expect? Also, is there anyway to retain the stock cats for noise reduction, or do recommend anything else since that is a big concern for me....want as minimal increase in volume as possible.

Get notified of new replies

To American racing headers full length vs mid length!

Quick Reply: American racing headers full length vs mid length!