C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for third set of rotors!!! I can't be the only one

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE=
I assume the C7 is your first Corvette, my comments were based around my experience with the C5 and its tendency to blow up rotors.

I have actually owned Corvettes for 47 years. Bought a 1963 coupe in !966 and still own it today. Yes I know this does not apply.

My last Corvette was a 2006 Z06 with 111,000 miles and over 100 track days. I ran several different rotors over the 7 years I owned the car, including stock ones.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not hard on brakes. I would easily get 15 track days on stock C6 Z06 rotors
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
let me know when you want to try the Racing Brake rotors! they're warrantied and will be on my C7 shortly as well
I wonder how much of a difference these will make? I would imagine most of the brake aftermarket will be selling hat rotor combo's. Baer, Stoptech, AP, PF etc.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
NeedAVetteForVIR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoOne
I was thinking of my experience with the C5/C6 that had a tendency to eat rotors.

Personally I would bring a spare set of fronts regardless, no brakes, no track.

Just in case who knows what could happen.
I guess this is getting added to the tab... I'm thinking this is going to be a mighty expensive track weekend...but I still can't wait to go...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by *C7*
With a little discount they run about $110.00 ea., front or rear.
Great...thanks for the info!
I might grab a set to keep on the shelf for when I decide to take this car to the track if this is indicative of rotor wear characteristics.

At least $110 is very palatable.
S.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
NeedAVetteForVIR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
let me know when you want to try the Racing Brake rotors! they're warrantied and will be on my C7 shortly as well
What does "warrantied" mean? I'm planning on driving the **** out of them at VIR? Talk to me Goose...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

With a little discount they run about $110.00 ea., front or rear.
Sorry to hear you are still having brake issues.
Are you able to find the rotors in the aftermarket or are these OE replacements? Either way the price is not too bad!

Just for comparison;
When i was racing my C5Z I could get roughly 4 races out of a set of Napa rotors and Hawk 70 pads (with cooling) depending on the track...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by NeedAVetteForVIR
What does "warrantied" mean? I'm planning on driving the **** out of them at VIR? Talk to me Goose...

DO NOT plan on using the stock pads.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

My last Corvette was a 2006 Z06 with 111,000 miles and over 100 track days. I ran several different rotors over the 7 years I owned the car, including stock ones.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not hard on brakes. I would easily get 15 track days on stock C6 Z06 rotors

That is a helluva lot of time to get out of them. I know stock C6 rotors you would never come close to that, more to do with the crappy caliper than the rotor.

That being said the Z06 was geared toward being a track car and more work was done on that end.

The C7 brakes may look good on paper compared to the C6 Z06 but that is usually a few stops, not heavy track time.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

In reading I didn't see anyone ask if you are properly bedding both the rotors and the pads with each change? If not, that could cause most of your wear.

Another issue maybe how you are running the car -- in what mode. I am not familiar with the programming on the C7s but if the nannies are on with the C6 this canals lead to a lot of wear.

Whatever you have going on is not normal especially with XP10 pads. You also need to bring your brakes up to temperature before jumping on them really hard.

--Dan
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Sarasota_Mike
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Three things I did with my previous Z which made a huge difference.
1. Turn off traction control. Craction control works by braking the appropriate tire which means that you're on the throttle while the car is doing the opposet fighting you.

2. Really use your cool-down lap well. Minimize the use of brakes, try to only downshift.

3. Make sure that when you part the car, you roll in slow and come to a complete stop using only the ebrake and not your pedal. Then push the car 12 inches at a time at least two times 3 min apart. Remember that your pads a very hot and they will cause uneven heat to the rotors. By moving the car, cooling to the rotors will be a little more uniform, this is critical.

Race rotors and pads are great but many times overkill. It really depends on you car setup, like suspension and the kind of tires you're using. Remember, it's all about the balance. You don't need 1000hp on run flat street tires and equally the same overkill on braking.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Sarasota_Mike; 02-16-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarasota_Mike
1. Turn off traction control. Craction control works by braking the appropriate tire which means that you're on the throttle while the car is doing the opposet fighting you.

2. Really use your cool-down lap well. Minimize the use of brakes, try to only downshift.

3. Make sure that when you part the car, you roll in slow and come to a complete stop using only the ebrake and not your pedal. Then push the car 12 inches at a time at least two times 3 min apart. Remember that your pads a very hot and they will cause uneven heat to the rotors. By moving the car, cooling to the rotors will be a little more uniform, this is critical.

Race rotors and pads are great but many times overkill. It really depends on you car setup, like suspension and the kind of tires you're using. Remember, it's all about the balance. You don't need 1000hp on run flat street tires and equally the same overkill on braking.

Good luck.

Mike
1. That doesn't apply here. Traction control in the C7 is modulated through an electronically controlled diff.

2. If it's a "cool down" lap, you're not going fast enough to cook pads.

3. I'm not sure how that regimen became your standard, but nobody does that. It actually kind of sounds made up. No offense.

Race rotors and pads are never, ever overkill. If you are track racing a production street car with OEM brakes that are anything less than carbon ceramic, then you are leaving a ton of lap time reduction on the table, and putting yourself, your car, your fellow racers, and your track's infrastructure in danger.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Croc999
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

point #3 is real.
if the rotor are heavy duty enough it's not a must.
but for "marginal" rotors it does help to prevent them from cracking.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarasota_Mike

Good luck.

Mike
Great post, thanks. I wonder if cross drilling through the slots would help too.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robertf97
Great post, thanks. I wonder if cross drilling through the slots would help too.
No the J hooks are actually far more effective, cross drilling just removes material and gives a high probability of cracking.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf97
Cross drilled rotors are more susceptible to cracking in my experience.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to contact the team that supports the fleet at Spring Mountain. They claim to replace brakes every 2 weeks. What isn't mentioned is how many sessions that equates to and whether they are using 100% factory replacements.

They may have some suggestions.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

I actually already called them, they said they are running stock brake pads and just changing the fluid. They said brakes haven't been an issue on the car for them, but that they are not doing advanced schools and are not using slicks.

They also recommended switching out to 15w50 racing oil for track duty.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready for third set of rotors!!! I can't be the only one

Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Croc999
Instructor

there is a good illustration about how ineffective Z51's cooling is - vanes are straight and air gap is limited+blocked.
since Z51 calipers looks good - maybe instead of BBK the RacingBrake 2 piece rotors can be a good solution:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...ont-p/2365.htm

i have their stuff on my other car and they're definitely good stuff.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
point #3 is real.
if the rotor are heavy duty enough it's not a must.
but for "marginal" rotors it does help to prevent them from cracking.
If you had an entire cool down lap where you weren't braking with the pedal nearly at all, by the time you roll into the paddock or pits at 5mph, your pads aren't going to fuse to your rotors.

They should be back to nearly normal operating temperature at that point. If you came off a 150mph oval and dropped anchor into the pits in a panic brake, then sure. Otherwise, I can't recall seeing this in any SCCA paddock or pits I've rolled into, rode into, wrenched in, or spectated at.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Croc999
Instructor

"IF" and "SHOULD" are nice.
we're talking from practice what is ACTUALLY happens on the ground.
you think all guys doing crazy stuff?
you don't have to believe it...
if your rotors don't do it - good for you. your system is probably heavy duty enough for your car/tyres/usage you put into them...

Quick Reply: Ready for third set of rotors!!! I can't be the only one