C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

We just lowered our pricing on this Competition Seat Conversion Package still with FREE shipping!

Corvette C7 GM Competition Seat Conversion

Just to let everyone know,
since we have been moving a lot of these kits it has slowed down production and it is taking longer to get some of the parts.
If you have any questions please give us a call!

Last edited by subchev; 01-27-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by A471133
Just out of curiosity, what are you all doing with the original seat skins/foam? Is there even a market for these things? I really don't have the space to store more boxes, shame to throw them out.
I am holding on to my seat covers and in a year or two. Original material that match the lower seat covers will be worth as much as we paid for them if not more cause the seat covers keep going up in price and eventually discontinued. The bolsters are already wearing and replacements will be hard to find and / or expensive and probably not match in colors.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 AM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what are you all doing with the original seat skins/foam? Is there even a market for these things? I really don't have the space to store more boxes, shame to throw them out.
Lots of parts left over! What to do with these parts?? Personally I sold my parts here on the Forum. Got hundreds, I was just going to throw into garage. It would have just made its way to garbage!!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 48supertruck
Pry off plastic cover that the seat belt goes in to and you will find one single torx screw, remove this and then slide the seat belt down to unhook it from this.

What is the torq spec for the seatbelt bolt?

Last edited by RS4EVA; 02-17-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
Just finished converting my driver seat tonight .. getting the cover attached and installing the carbon fiber trim were both a challenge.
No kidding! Just finished the second seat but the seat cover keeps popping out of the groove. I'm going to leave it sit overnight with the plastic push bars holding everything in place and hope that by tomorrow it's stretched enough to not pull out when I remove them.

I didn't have any of those little clips either but I think they are there to help more stubborn seat covers stay in place. Does anyone know the part number because I might need some to hold my cover in place?

I did find that setting the seat out in the sun while you're doing this does seem to make the cover a tad more pliable but it's still a huge pain to get in place.

For the carbon fiber piece it seems to work if you get it in there and clip what you can, then let it sit and the foam will compress a bit and you can work a couple more clips in.

Thanks for such a fantastic write-up!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't for the life of me seem to get the seat cover to hold on one side down near the bottom. I let it sit overnight with the pry bars in place and it still popped out within minutes of removing them.

Anyone know the part number for those little clips?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I can't for the life of me seem to get the seat cover to hold on one side down near the bottom. I let it sit overnight with the pry bars in place and it still popped out within minutes of removing them.

I'm sure Subchev can help you out In the AM.

Sounds though like it either isn't in all the way, or the rubber strip is twisted. If it's not perfectly vertical, I don't think it can lock in place.
One of my covers required extra hands compressing the foam from the front while I stuffed it from the back with multiple pry bars.

I feel for the men and women that have to assemble these things all day. It's no picnic.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM
A471133
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Poor-sha, try this. I just finished with my passenger seat and ran into the same issues with the popping out. On my third try, I used a plastic pry tool to place the rubber in the groove and slid it in place. After that, I put on a pair of gloves with a rubber palm, gripped by where I just positioned the rubber. Place your fingertips in the crevice while at the same time grip the cover with your palm side and "pull" it towards the back. As you press down at the same time with your fingertips into the crevice you will feel the stiff part behind the rubber seat into the groove. I let mine sit for the last hour and it is holding secure.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Poor-sha, are you sure your getting the seat edging rolled into the channel properly?
I had a problem getting the edging to hold the first few inches but once I had 8" to 12" in place there were no issues getting the cover to hold in place.

Last edited by Bischof; 03-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Poor-sha, try this. I just finished with my passenger seat and ran into the same issues with the popping out. On my third try, I used a plastic pry tool to place the rubber in the groove and slid it in place. After that, I put on a pair of gloves with a rubber palm, gripped by where I just positioned the rubber. Place your fingertips in the crevice while at the same time grip the cover with your palm side and "pull" it towards the back. As you press down at the same time with your fingertips into the crevice you will feel the stiff part behind the rubber seat into the groove. I let mine sit for the last hour and it is holding secure.
This is reply is exactly how to it. I had to grip it and squeeze it together while using your fingertips to roll the rubber edge into groove and get it to lock into place. I am a young dude and my hands hurt for 2 days after this project. It was not easy. Mine has never come apart since I did this conversion. I believe the clips help but they are not what holds the seat cover in place. My seats only have 3 or 4 clips on the outside edge only and none on the console side of the seats. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 AM
A471133
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

48super, thanks for the thread! Just finished both of mine today in 4 hrs, would have been forever without this thread.

Poor-sha, just realized my first explanation was pretty confusing. I've attached a picture (sorry drawing on my iPad so it looks like it's by a 5year old). First pic is how your cover looks like (red) and attached to the end is the rubber strip which is round on the end but also has a square portion under the leather edge. When you use a wedge/tool (2nd picture), you only place the round rubber in the channel. To fully seat the cover, you need to stretch it and seat the square portion on the rubber in the channel so it locks. You will be able to feel the square part sink in when you're pressing down. I didn't even use the little clips because I did didn't want to scratch the back cover, and it hold fine. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
subchev (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Unfortunately there isn't a part number for the clips you're referring to; Those clips cannot be ordered.

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
I'm sure Subchev can help you out In the AM
I feel for the men and women that have to assemble these things all day. It's no picnic.
I totally agree with that statement RS4EVA! A huge reason why we don't sell them pre-assembled because of the time and energy spent making the seats look as pristine as can be. This reminds me that I have been wanting to re-thank the OP, 48supertruck, for writing this step-by-step how-to with such accuracy & detail so that many others are able to tackle a project such as this one on their own with confidence!

Last edited by subchev; 03-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
48supertruck (03-08-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up dropping the seat at a local auto upholstery shop and I'm hoping they can get it sorted. If I had to do it again I'd have just paid the upholstery shop to install the seat covers.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Feel free to contact us for your GT to Competition seat conversion. We are still the lowest price. The orders keep coming in.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by subchev
We just lowered our pricing on this Competition Seat Conversion Package still with FREE shipping!

Corvette C7 GM Competition Seat Conversion

Just to let everyone know,
since we have been moving a lot of these kits it has slowed down production and it is taking longer to get some of the parts.
If you have any questions please give us a call!

The Page Cannot Be Found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Feel free to contact us for your GT to Competition seat conversion. We are still the lowest price. The orders keep coming in.
what is your price on the conversion kit please. 2016 1lt

thanks Al
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
The Page Cannot Be Found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Sorry about that
Here is an updated link:

http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...it?parent=1276

Get notified of new replies

To How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion

Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

what is your price on the conversion kit please. 2016 1lt

thanks Al
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...it?parent=1276

$ FREE shipping

Last edited by subchev; 03-25-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by subchev
Thanks including canada correct.
Will they wrk properly in 1lt car with no power bolsters heated and cooling ?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Thanks including canada correct.
Will they wrk properly in 1lt car with no power bolsters heated and cooling ?

You can do a heater delete, and yes I will ship to Canada for you for free.

Quick Reply: How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion