C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off she goes to Vengeance....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Theta
It doesn't take a crankshaft to win my undying love...

Now that I've seen your pics about the AFM ID/OD neck-down, though, I'm re-thinking the exhaust.
Glad to hear bro. Didn't know you were that close on cranks either or I wouldn't have offered. Just trying to help out the delay
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Me neither - by the time I saw your e-mail, I had an e-mail from Callies saying they were finally shipping. Still a nice gesture of you, though.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Vengeance is right down the road from me, may have to stop in and take a look
Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me neither - by the time I saw your e-mail, I had an e-mail from Callies saying they were finally shipping. Still a nice gesture of you, though.
Sean
Sorry to hear about the health issues but, you have more patience than anyone I know. Your new 427 should be a beast, hope you saved up plenty of money for tires.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by lancekl
Vengeance is right down the road from me, may have to stop in and take a look
Sure thing - just check with them first.

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
Sean
Sorry to hear about the health issues but, you have more patience than anyone I know. Your new 427 should be a beast, hope you saved up plenty of money for tires.
Hey man, no worries! Patience is a virtue that I've now learned/received by raising my newly-turned 1-year-old son. Toys are fun (okay, very fun), but family always comes first!

I know VR is doing (and will continue to do) a great job on this. Ron and I have been in touch (just this morning again) about all of this. It's an issue that Callie's needs to resolve for shops moving forward with LT1 strokers, but the crankshaft manufacturer options are very limited.

This should really be something to behold once it's complete - there are a few other tricks up their sleeve for this build, and I'm sure everyone will get a kick out of it when it's done. I'll share build pics as I get them - Ron promised to catalog some for me as it goes.

I truly wish this was the 427 like Ben did, but I stopped at 416 since it's also FI. There's just a limit to what this platform can put to the ground and still be a DD or streetable.

Tires and wheels are covered for now, and we'll hope those 888s have some good wear/life - if not, I'll be going through rears more often than I'd like...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Man, I was hoping to click on this thread and see your car back home with you enjoying it!

How much longer until we see the beast alive?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I want to say around 3-4 weeks give or take?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I want to say around 3-4 weeks give or take?
That is why i NEVER send my car to a shop without all the parts ready to go. I learned the hard way. You could have been enjoying the car for the last 3-4 months making 650hp until ALL parts were in VR hands.

I know its not their fault…just annoying IMO.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That thought did cross my mind, however, I would have been afraid of seal and valve issues the whole time. Paranoid? Perhaps, but with some reason behind it from dealing with a lot of related questions from people.

In the mean time, they've been able to work on all sorts of other goodies that will be shown off with the rest of the build.

I do get what you're saying, though.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

That thought did cross my mind, however, I would have been afraid of seal and valve issues the whole time. Paranoid? Perhaps, but with some reason behind it from dealing with a lot of related questions from people.

In the mean time, they've been able to work on all sorts of other goodies that will be shown off with the rest of the build.

I do get what you're saying, though.
Hi theta, how are those r888 tires if you get caught in rain? Or even on a relatively chilly day , say 40-50 degree weather? Love your car and story
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by thegame
Hi theta, how are those r888 tires if you get caught in rain? Or even on a relatively chilly day , say 40-50 degree weather? Love your car and story
Thanks! Sadly, though, I can't help you with the tire info. Haven't gotten to test them out since that is being done by VR while it's down there.

I'm not big on linking to other forums (especially of other makes, etc), but this review is pretty thorough and they're on a 10.32ET street car: R888 Rain Review

The 888s are very popular with Lambo owners, as well, but you don't see many of those in the rain, either. My gut reaction would be to avoid these for any adverse conditions, but that's just from anecdotal examples and specs on paper.

As for temp, I would think it's just a matter of warming them up (properly) first.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks! Sadly, though, I can't help you with the tire info. Haven't gotten to test them out since that is being done by VR while it's down there.

I'm not big on linking to other forums (especially of other makes, etc), but this review is pretty thorough and they're on a 10.32ET street car: R888 Rain Review

The 888s are very popular with Lambo owners, as well, but you don't see many of those in the rain, either. My gut reaction would be to avoid these for any adverse conditions, but that's just from anecdotal examples and specs on paper.

As for temp, I would think it's just a matter of warming them up (properly) first.
Awesome, thanks so much man can't wait to see your car when it's all done!!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Slick 6MT
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is what the brickyards with 315 r888s look like. They hook pretty well, i can hook them in first if its over 60f out. I only make about 550whp tho, it may be a different story for you.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Thanks for those pics! Hadn't seen the actual combo yet, so that's awesome. Those rears really stick out a lot more than I thought they would, though! Might just be an angle illusion, though.

Several updates on this, actually. I was supposed to have it back this week until a manufacturing defect (actually a few) were found in the LT1. According to both VR and the builder, I had ~150 miles left before catastrophic failure due to a factory defect... Will go into that later once it's corrected and confirmed.

So, long story short, I'm glad I sent it down there when I did - otherwise, I'd be out a motor, have no warranty on it from putting on the S/C, and just be sitting here with either a very expensive mistake or a broken car.

I think pics will start being posted soon. They've been wanting to finish it up before unveiling them all at once, rather than going step-by-step.

It's a little different than what I do (going step-by-step at a snail's pace), but I understand. That way it's start to finish.

If those tires really stick out that far, I'm either going to need a wide body kit, or a hell of a rock guard on the rear quarter. Does it look 'silly' to you at all, or does it blend in well? Hoping it's not bordering on looking ricer, etc. Honestly, can't tell from the pics. It does look like it would benefit from lowering, but I can't on mine due to driveway concerns and bad roads here.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see you on here again Sean. I saw mine started up for the first time in 5 months yesterday and it sounded really good. No more blower ticking and I can appreciate the header "sound quality" more now. Its crap audio quality but gives a feel for the TSP VVT1 cam idle characteristic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwn0nxr89o...65652.3gp?dl=0
Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by robertf97
Good to see you on here again Sean. I saw mine started up for the first time in 5 months yesterday and it sounded really good. No more blower ticking and I can appreciate the header "sound quality" more now. Its crap audio quality but gives a feel for the TSP VVT1 cam idle characteristic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwn0nxr89o...65652.3gp?dl=0
Glad to hear it! Sounds like we're all getting back up and running around the same time - right before the winter hits.

I didn't know (but found out via PM the other day) that there was actually another 416 being built at VR alongside mine, so this should be interesting seeing different response with mods, etc.

Hopefully you get some time to go out and play with yours in the coming weeks!

Get notified of new replies

To Off she goes to Vengeance....

Old 10-09-2014, 05:15 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for those pics! Hadn't seen the actual combo yet, so that's awesome. Those rears really stick out a lot more than I thought they would, though! Might just be an angle illusion, though.

Several updates on this, actually. I was supposed to have it back this week until a manufacturing defect (actually a few) were found in the LT1. According to both VR and the builder, I had ~150 miles left before catastrophic failure due to a factory defect... Will go into that later once it's corrected and confirmed.

So, long story short, I'm glad I sent it down there when I did - otherwise, I'd be out a motor, have no warranty on it from putting on the S/C, and just be sitting here with either a very expensive mistake or a broken car.

I think pics will start being posted soon. They've been wanting to finish it up before unveiling them all at once, rather than going step-by-step.

It's a little different than what I do (going step-by-step at a snail's pace), but I understand. That way it's start to finish.

If those tires really stick out that far, I'm either going to need a wide body kit, or a hell of a rock guard on the rear quarter. Does it look 'silly' to you at all, or does it blend in well? Hoping it's not bordering on looking ricer, etc. Honestly, can't tell from the pics. It does look like it would benefit from lowering, but I can't on mine due to driveway concerns and bad roads here.
The rear wheels do stick out a little. I don't mind it but some people do. I get lots of compliments on the wheels and most people think they are factory. I think lowering would help it out but I'm in the same boat as you with my driveway.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm just happy to finally see a car with that combo on - I ordered it blind...

If you have any more pics, PM me with them - would love to see other angles to get a better feel for it.

I wish I could just grind my driveway lip down, but the angle of approach is the problem, and that's not going to change since the front wheels are so far back from the front nose (with a CF kit on there).
Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm just happy to finally see a car with that combo on - I ordered it blind...

If you have any more pics, PM me with them - would love to see other angles to get a better feel for it.

I wish I could just grind my driveway lip down, but the angle of approach is the problem, and that's not going to change since the front wheels are so far back from the front nose (with a CF kit on there).

Sean,
If your driveway approach is the only reason you can't "slam" (lower) your car, perhaps these would solve the problem. They come in 4 foot sections and you see 3 sections here...bolted together. Yes, I also considered grinding my driveway approach down, but the city said it was prohibited.

They are specifically intended for rolled curbs. I love these things, even for my AWD Durango...much smoother transition at any approach angle. I do remove them for the winter though. As heavy as they are, the snow plows would still toss them around.

Mariano (Alfie)
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mariano; 10-09-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Off she goes to Vengeance....