C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What engines sound bad with straight pipes/open exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Cuthroat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engines sound bad with straight pipes/open exhaust?

Theta brought up this interesting (to me) thought in another thread I have not been around a lot of the modern engines with straight piping, so any thoughts or experiences with straight pipes?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuthroat
Theta brought up this interesting (to me) thought in another thread I have not been around a lot of the modern engines with straight piping, so any thoughts or experiences with straight pipes?
Why run straight pipes when X Pipes outflow them and mufflers don't reduce power? The industry has learned a thing or two since 1976.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Cuthroat
Intermediate

Well you could run the straight pipes after the x
or h pipe, to cover that. Still, I have never heard a muffled exhaust sound as good as an open exhaust through the rpm range. When your at the drags and the lanes fire up for the next group to run, it's a beautiful sound hearing those open exhaust fire up and idle and then scream down the drag strip. In my humble opinion.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

or h pipe, to cover that. Still, I have never heard a muffled exhaust sound as good as an open exhaust through the rpm range. When your at the drags and the lanes fire up for the next group to run, it's a beautiful sound hearing those open exhaust fire up and idle and then scream down the drag strip. In my humble opinion.
Those cars do not have "straight pipes." They have what are more commonly referred to as "open headers" usually with a short extension depending on where they want their torque.

You cannot run around the street like that, you will be pulled over in 5 seconds not to mention **** off your neighbors and give yourself a headache before you make it to the highway.

Drag cars run for 20 seconds at a time. Oval track drivers wear earplugs.

And I do not think open headers sounds "good" as much as it is just loud. Ferraris, AMGs, hell even Mustangs with Flowmasters sound awesome. Open headers is pure function.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Electric.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by LT1xL82

Electric.
Okay, now that's funny.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

If you're dead-set on trying it, go right ahead.

You will a) create a resonance chamber out of your rear polycarb section (which incidentally has VERY little sound deadening) which will cause so much drone, you won't even want to drive it home, and b) be pulled over with 5-10 minutes.

I've had my share of straight-piped / dumped exhausts, and still do. I urge you to use a cutout setup that can be opened and closed at will - it is a far more sensible (read: adult) solution in this day and age.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Essentailly all of them, with the possible exception of Top Fuelers.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Cuthroat
Intermediate

Wow Mitch really? pro stockers, super stockers, etc, sound bad with open exhaust? My friend has a 2008 Chevy pickup V8 and he experimented with a straight pipe after the converter and you could hardly hear it from the cab at cruise, but when you got on it, it sounded like a race truck! That was from a number of different people, they loved it. I think to each their own, but many people on this forum complain that their exhaust isn't loud enough even with the npp style systems, aftermarket or stock. I have heard many vehicles that didn't sound good with many different exhaust systems.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Engines that sound good with straight pipes? Engines in the off topic section. This has nothing to do with C7 tech.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Engines that sound good with straight pipes? Engines in the off topic section. This has nothing to do with C7 tech.
and... there is an "Other Cars" section as well.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Cuthroat
Intermediate

Sorry for posting in the wrong area.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I could keep going...

Last edited by brokenparts; 06-25-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by brokenparts
I could keep going...
why? we already know race cars are loud. I have one that sounds just like those. loud isn't the same as sounds good.

to think it would be cool to drive that around town or through your neighborhood is ludicrous unless your neighborhood is comprised of double wides.

not to mention just opening an exhaust system will not make it sounds like a dedicated race car......there is a huge gap in understanding here, please move this thread to the kids table.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gap in understanding? Yea, all those cars are just exhaust mods... The man asked what engines sound good so I gave a few examples.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by brokenparts
Gap in understanding? Yea, all those cars are just exhaust mods... The man asked what engines sound good so I gave a few examples.
just exhaust mods? no, they are 427 stroker motors with big cams and are built for the racetrack. they are not street cars. and his question was what cars sound bad, not good.....

opening up the exhaust like that on a street car serves no purpose but public nuisance.

we have an infestation of squirrels around here lately.....which mod is in charge of pest control?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I love a good loud deep sound but I have to agree that straight pipes on a streetcar is nothing but annoying.

Get notified of new replies

To What engines sound bad with straight pipes/open exhaust?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Know what's perfect for me?

The NPP.

I can run a 600whp car with quiet exhaust and appreciate the sound of a blower and fly like a rocket. Or press a button and make it scream and do the same.

I took the mufflers off my mustang and drove around a couple days with the car extremely loud. It was fun for all of 2 minutes before it became really annoying. Then I put the new mufflers on with a mildly aggressive tone and it sounded perfect.

Very loud exhaust is annoying to listen to everywhere you go. Don't do it for a street car.

Last edited by C7pimp; 06-25-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Cuthroat
Intermediate

I am sorry. I don't know how to move this to another section. Can a mod do that?

Also, I understand that running around with straight pipes terrorizing the good citizens of Gotham City is not good. But any gear head worth their salt has done it at sometime in his/her life.

What is needed is an idea where you can have both pure open pipe and legal pipe all in the same system without it sounding like a controlled exhaust leak. Lastly, while not condoning the freeway runs, that silver street vette in the above video sounds purely magical and i doubt anyone would disagree...
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I am sorry. I don't know how to move this to another section. Can a mod do that?

Also, I understand that running around with straight pipes terrorizing the good citizens of Gotham City is not good. But any gear head worth their salt has done it at sometime in his/her life.

What is needed is an idea where you can have both pure open pipe and legal pipe all in the same system without it sounding like a controlled exhaust leak. Lastly, while not condoning the freeway runs, that silver street vette in the above video sounds purely magical and i doubt anyone would disagree...
The NPP exhaust gives you that, all you need to do is add headers and remove the catalytic converters. There is also the Mild to Wild system as well as traditional exhaust cutouts. People have used these systems since the 1980s....maybe before.

The closest I ever got to running open exhaust on the street was when I was 16, I unbolted the exhaust behind the manifold on my Cavalier in the driveway. It took all over 1.3 seconds for my mother to come out and silence the noise.....for good.

Quick Reply: What engines sound bad with straight pipes/open exhaust?