C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 engine vibration with AFM

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Turbo C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by gary92109
I really want to once again thank everyone that responded to my AFM issue. It was "very" helpful to hear from other C7 owners. I ended up replacing the motor mounts with an after market from a Corvette racing shop that I deal with. We did the job in about three hours (using his equipment). The vibration is still there but it is much, much less and I am now a happy camper again. Thank you all.
Mine only vibrates when in a tall gear at lower RPM when it's in a situation where it doesn't have enough power at that RPM to get up a slight hill, but it hadn't switched back to 8 cyl. mode yet. I think they need to have it switch to 8 cyl. quicker. To me it feels the same as if you're lugging the engine, and I avoid using Eco mode for that reason.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
I get 30 MPG HWY with NO AFM...
I agree.... I just got 32.9 MPG in V8 mode in 6th gear on the highway.
Never used 7th or 4 cylinder mode.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM
rstone_97
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 C7 Does it too

I have a 2015 automatic that does it too. Vibration in the console in V4 mode after a few minutes being in V4 mode. I researched it online and found that is has to do with the powertrain cavitating in V4 mode. My cure has been finding the right gas that smooths the engine out in V4. My worst experience with it is Sam's Club gas and my best is Exxon to the point it doesn't happen.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=AFVETTE;1587326780]I wonder if GM engineers will start tweaking the "parameters" of how/when the AFM is engaged and provide software updates as more and owners start providing real world feedback.

The only tweaking I've found is the Throttle Position Max reduced from 50% on '14s to 40% on '15s. I would like to see GM give the auto's the same programming as the stick shift cars. Only in Eco!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM
mark2014v
4th Gear

Default Vibration 2014 AT

Just went on a 2000 mile road trip across Nevada and Arizona. In the V4 mode when under a light load going up a slight hill, felt like the car was going to vibrate apart!! When I press on accelerator enough for it to kick back into V8 it's fine. My wife thought we had a flat tire the first time it happened. Getting ready to take it to dealer to see what they have to say about it. Maybe there is some software update available. I hope!!!
Old 09-01-2018, 03:42 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mark2014v
Just went on a 2000 mile road trip across Nevada and Arizona. In the V4 mode when under a light load going up a slight hill, felt like the car was going to vibrate apart!! When I press on accelerator enough for it to kick back into V8 it's fine. My wife thought we had a flat tire the first time it happened. Getting ready to take it to dealer to see what they have to say about it. Maybe there is some software update available. I hope!!!
A8? Sounds like torque convertor shudder issue.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I have an M7 and my engine switches from V8 to V4 and back to V8 seamlessly. The only way I know it switches is by listening to the exhaust which is set in permanent track mode and closes in V4 mode and opens in V8 mode. I hear exhaust rumble I know I am in V8 mode if I hear silence I know I am in V4 mode.

If you are getting some sort of rough operation in V4 mode or during the switching there is something wrong and you should take the car to the dealer.

Bill
Old 09-02-2018, 03:04 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Guess I will never know if my C7 has a vibration in 4 cyl. mode.
x2
agree on normal also, if OP has built engines or knows them well it may feel worse to him than someone who isnt a wrench. It would drive me nuts, & cant be good for everything else long term. Guess epa doesnt give much choice so they added it in a "mode" they figured most enthusiasts would never use?

Old 09-26-2018, 01:28 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
You will get a minor vibration from AFM. The installation of long tubes will make it worse. If it does not seem "minor" to you, I recommend trying a different dealership's service department.
Old thread, but why do long tubes make it worse? I just got v4 put back in on my manual 7 after long tubes and a tune, so I'm just curious more than anything. I'm a tech nerd so I like to know how things work. I have an mgw shifter and you can see the shifter vibrate in v4 mode and can for sure hear the difference as it swaps modes.

Last edited by spinkick; 09-26-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:41 PM
Rockwell
1st Gear

Default Afm

Originally Posted by gary92109
When my C7 enters the 4 cylinder mode the engines vibrates much more than I feel that it should. I have built quite a few engines over the years and this just doesn't seem right. The Chev dealer mechanics just tell me that it isn't that bad. My question is: does anyone else have the same problem (or perhaps it is normal)?
I just purchased a 2016 and have the same problem. When I'm at cruising speed it felt like I was running over rumble strips on and off. The owners manual says you can deactivate AFM (for auto trans) by not using the Eco mode and putting the trans in manual mode, you don't have to put it in manual until your at cruising speed,it works no vibration. From what I've read there are consequences to permanently disabling AFM, do your homework.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:24 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockwell
I just purchased a 2016 and have the same problem. When I'm at cruising speed it felt like I was running over rumble strips on and off. The owners manual says you can deactivate AFM (for auto trans) by not using the Eco mode and putting the trans in manual mode, you don't have to put it in manual until your at cruising speed,it works no vibration. From what I've read there are consequences to permanently disabling AFM, do your homework.
What consequences are you referring to?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Necro thread of 7 years.

Quick Reply: C7 engine vibration with AFM