C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a bent rod in my 2010 Grand Sport with only 2,100 miles on it. Got the dealership to replace the entire engine - much better piece of mind.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
There are no "new motors" available for your car. New motors go in new cars. Rebuilt motors go in used cars. You have a used car. It is titled and has 3,000 miles on it. So realign your expectations with reality.

If indeed your engine was flawed from a non-local assembly mechanic/factory, what makes you think the next one won't be as well? Personally, I would much rather have a local engine builder hand build my engine like you are about to have. The small block chevy is one of the easiest and well known engines to work on and repair or modify. You should have no concerns with it.

A factory trained and certified dealer technician will rebuild your engine properly, GM is not going to have a "local mechanic" perform the repair, especially since GM is paying to have the work done, not you.

There are laws in place governing these situations. These laws exist because this type of thing does happen. And it happens across the industry and the world on a fairly regular basis. You do not have a unique circumstance. I do understand it is frustrating or annoying or disheartening, but it's time to accept that it has happened and all you can do is move to the next day, the next step, and just get through it.

More than likely you will be well taken care of and GM/Chevy will correct the problem and you will have your car back to enjoy for many years to come. If the repair is not completed within the required parameters to keep it out of your state's lemon law criteria then you can pursue that. Until then, let them do their thing.
Did you happen to notice that the poster immediately before you (#6) got not only a new engine but a whole new car around it?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A little context is in order

Originally Posted by drburns
This really scares the hell out of me. How many stock engine failures have we seen on this forum so far? Three? Four? Gotta wonder how many more there are that aren't on the forums. More importantly, what's causing these failures?
Let's put these numbers into context. GM has sold about 20,000 C7 corvettes since the October, 2013 intro. A 1% catastrophic engine failure rate would be 200 engines.

So lets get a grip and step away from the panic button. Sadly, these things happen with every auto manufacturer in the world. A friend just had his brand new Bentley replaced by Bentley with a new car because the original was a lemon.

I have learned in my short time here that GM takes care of these customers, albeit slower than any of us would like. The Bentley was flatbed trucked from Saint Louis to Dallas for repair before Bentley relented.

I am so sorry for the OP and I know if it were me, I'd be just as angry and upset. However, Higgs might have been a little too blunt, but he's right on all points.

Last edited by dwward; 07-17-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Did you happen to notice that the poster immediately before you (#6) got not only a new engine but a whole new car around it?
Did I say that they never replace the car or did I say that new engines go in new cars? Seems like the thinking man would realize that this validates my statement.....he did not get a new engine for his used car.

Guess what, the second car is another sale for GM and the corresponding dealer. What a world!!! Dealer fixes the buyback and sells it as a used car.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
gootz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me as well. Had my motor replaced at 1300 or so miles (see my thread for my story).

This is happening way too many times. I'm seeing threads at least once a week or biweekly...

I wish you the best of luck. Fight for a new motor at minimum!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Did I say that they never replace the car or did I say that new engines go in new cars? Seems like the thinking man would realize that this validates my statement.....he did not get a new engine for his used car.

Guess what, the second car is another sale for GM and the corresponding dealer. What a world!!! Dealer fixes the buyback and sells it as a used car.
So you did notice it........ seems like the thinking man could have just said so. A simple "yes" would have sufficed, with out the need to try and appear more intelligent.

BTW - how does the 2nd car count as another sale for GM? Who pays for it? Sure, the first one becomes a used car lemon law buy back but I don't see how GM gets a 2nd new car sale out of this.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM
clwood
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemon law buyback? Where do you get your information? It never went to lemon law status. GM replaced the car for customer satisfaction. Customers car will be fixed and sold as a used car.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by clwood
Lemon law buyback? Where do you get your information? It never went to lemon law status. GM replaced the car for customer satisfaction. Customers car will be fixed and sold as a used car.
OK, go with your definition then. How does that still make it count for two new car sales by GM - which was my point.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

So you did notice it........ seems like the thinking man could have just said so. A simple "yes" would have sufficed, with out the need to try and appear more intelligent.

BTW - how does the 2nd car count as another sale for GM? Who pays for it? Sure, the first one becomes a used car lemon law buy back but I don't see how GM gets a 2nd new car sale out of this.
weak, bro. weak.

OK, go with your definition then. How does that still make it count for two new car sales by GM - which was my point.
two separate registered vins, two reported sales. broken car is simply a trade in, gm eats the negative equity instead of the customer. car deal and ownership experience just starts over.

there is no magic involved in these situations.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

weak, bro. weak.

Just using your own phrase back at ya!

Ok, Mr, "god particle" - you win. You've proved that you think you're you're smarter than the average bear, even in your choice of screen name.... I didn't enter this thread looking for word games and mind games, so if that's your intent find yourself another playmate.

two separate registered vins, two reported sales. broken car is simply a trade in, gm eats the negative equity instead of the customer. car deal and ownership experience just starts over.

there is no magic involved in these situations.
That counts as a second new car sale? OK, if you say so..........
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

That counts as a second new car sale? OK, if you say so..........
It's not because I say so, it's because that is how it works. Maybe you don't agree on a "that ain't right, somebody gotta suffer" perspective, but no, GM or the dealer doesn't have to eat a whole car, just the negative equity, ie. depreciation (and GM pays for the repair like a normal warranty).

Then the dealer gets to make profit on the used car sale not to mention GM pays them to fix the car.....

Why does that really matter? The initial customer is taken care of, the car is fixed while no one is waiting impatiently on it, two businesses have to opportunity to remain in business, and another potential Vette owner can become a realized Vette owner. Nobody loses in the long run.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Is that a professional opinion?

I've worked on the corporate side for auto manufacturers and run dealerships over the last 23 years.

What do you do?

By the way, I never said GM doesn't have new engines.
I worked in engineering at the Big 3 for twenty years. First thing, dealers don't know what is going on.

Second thing is yes there are brand new motors as warranty stock, just like everything else on the car. When there is truly catastrophic failure they do not ship the dealer 900 parts to put a motor together. Not all engines can be rebuilt.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoOne
I worked in engineering at the Big 3 for twenty years. First thing, dealers don't know what is going on.

Second thing is yes there are brand new motors as warranty stock, just like everything else on the car. When there is truly catastrophic failure they do not ship the dealer 900 parts to put a motor together. Not all engines can be rebuilt.
I agree, most dealers do not know what's going on but only because most factory info is on a need to know basis so you can blame yourself for that one. remember I work(ed) on both sides of the party. even your comment shows the clear separation between church and state here, you sound like you are positioning the stupid dealer as the enemy.....no wonder some cultures breed bankruptcy, thanks career point!

there are replacement engines available but 99% of the time they are not new they are remanufactured (which to the factory peeps is as good as new). I am sure this depends on the life cycle of the product. how many brand new, never started LT1 engines are available for warranty use? no doubt in some respects Chevy is different in that there is a large crate motor market and truthfully I do not know if they pull from the retail shelves to fill warranty claims, but I would put my money on no, it's remans for warranty.

typically there are no in dealership rebuilds, I agree. usually it is torn down to find cause of failure and shipped back to manufacturer for verification and hopefully, revision of future product.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

There are no "new motors" available for your car. New motors go in new cars. Rebuilt motors go in used cars. You have a used car. It is titled and has 3,000 miles on it. So realign your expectations with reality.

If indeed your engine was flawed from a non-local assembly mechanic/factory, what makes you think the next one won't be as well? Personally, I would much rather have a local engine builder hand build my engine like you are about to have. The small block chevy is one of the easiest and well known engines to work on and repair or modify. You should have no concerns with it.

A factory trained and certified dealer technician will rebuild your engine properly, GM is not going to have a "local mechanic" perform the repair, especially since GM is paying to have the work done, not you.

There are laws in place governing these situations. These laws exist because this type of thing does happen. And it happens across the industry and the world on a fairly regular basis. You do not have a unique circumstance. I do understand it is frustrating or annoying or disheartening, but it's time to accept that it has happened and all you can do is move to the next day, the next step, and just get through it.

More than likely you will be well taken care of and GM/Chevy will correct the problem and you will have your car back to enjoy for many years to come. If the repair is not completed within the required parameters to keep it out of your state's lemon law criteria then you can pursue that. Until then, let them do their thing.
you said there are no new motors available, what makes you think that?? and where and why would gm install a used engine in this car?? im curious to where you got this info? I already know the answers to this but I would like to hear it from you> thanks!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by erikszr1
you said there are no new motors available, what makes you think that?? and where and why would gm install a used engine in this car?? im curious to where you got this info? I already know the answers to this but I would like to hear it from you> thanks!
manufacturers spend billions a year on warranty costs. they use remans because it is cheaper.

when I say there are no new engines, transmission etc available for warranty, I mean, real actual brand new stuff that they can pull from the assembly line. just-in-time manufacturing doesn't allow room for overproduction (or under) of components and surplus. everything down to the paint is ordered based on projected volume. so remans are used because new ones are not in supply.

could new stuff be available after production ceases for a given model? sure I guess, but is your car still under warranty by then?

I am also interested to hear what you already know as well. I don't know everything, but I am willing to share what I do know.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Everyone needs to just relax a bit I think...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Uhhh fellas I smell a troll. Just signed up to the forums a couple of days ago. Poor punctuation and spelling. Run on sentences.

I call bs unless you post pics and proof you got a c7.

You sound like a ford crybaby trying to troll us!

Go back to your parents basement! You bad bad boy.

Get notified of new replies

To 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Been through the GM engine replacement process twice. Once with my LS7 and once with my daughter's Pontiac Torrent 3.6 V6. Unless the engine has grenaded and is obviously not rebuildable the process starts with a tear down to find out what is wrong. Then a Should Cost analysis is done to see how much it would cost to repair the engine Vs replace it. If the Should Cost is too high GM will replace the engine Vs repair it. Most repair shops would prefer replacing the engine Vs rebuilding it since doing a rebuild will tie up shop equipment longer and can reduce the shop's and mechanic's income. I believe this influence results in inflated Should Costs since when I looked at the one for my LS7 there were a bunch of items on the list that made me ask why this one or why that one. The answer was we don't know for sure but there is a potential for that part to have been damaged so we decided to include it in the repair cost.

Bill
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi, is there any count on how many engine problems there is with C7 ?

In Europe it seems they have an even bigger problem, there is 450 ish sold Corvettes and over 40 dead engines..... rumor mill is running high, and a few guys a convinced to switch from other camps are now hesitating...

the high number is Europe is possible due to different usage, we tend to drive harder, faster and have the roads to do so (unlimited speed limits)

Are all problems related to spun bearings ?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

GM should be embarrassed.

Quick Reply: 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!