C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM
TorchC7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!

Purchased my torch red C7 not even 1 month ago and it only has 2600 miles on it. Driving home Saturday and started hearing a knocking noise so I drove it straight to the dealership. Go figure no service on Saturday so I drop it and they put me in a Impalla . Get no call on Monday morning from them so I call around 10:30 to find out they have it in the shop looking at it and I would get a call back around 1. 1 comes and goes no call so at 3 I call they tell me they hooked the computer up to read the ECU and sent it to GM they would call back at 5. No call back so I call at 4:45 to be put on hold and never answered for 15 minutes.

So here we are today I call at 08:30 this morning to find out about it since I havent got a call from them. They inform me the noise is coming from the engine which I already told them. Then say GM wants them to tear it down to inspect and fix.

My agruement is the car is BRAND NEW doesnt even have 3K on the dash and now some local mechanic in which they plainly stated they hadnt even done a oil change on a C7 yet is going to put the engine back together. So I called GM direct after that told them everything and the lady told me pretty much they would fix under warranty but would not get me a new motor directly from GM.

Is it to much for me to ask for a new motor to go in my brand new 60K dollar car with only 2600 miles. I just cant believe that GM would not offer some options other than letting a customer be satisified with his brand new vette having a rebuilt motor.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Hopefully the mechanic doing the rebuild is not the guy that just does oil changes.
I would wait to see what is causing the knock and what it takes to fix it before replacing the engine.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
zdonner
Instructor

Situation sucks... but if you're really worried about rebuilding a small block Chevrolet being too "complicated"... maybe instead you'd be more worried that the engine serial won't match if they replace it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
TorchC7
3rd Gear

I completely agree that before they just throw a new motor in the car to find out the issue. I just did not want a rebuilt motor in the car. No I do not think they would let a guy who changes oil tear into the motor. They had just stated that in general they hadnt even done an oil change on a C7 yet.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine did the same thing at 2300 miles torch red vin 5121578.

Ended up spinning #8 cylinder main bearing. Was apparent that it probably had a bad bearing from the factory? The Motor needed:

All New Main Bearings.
New Crankshaft.
2-New Rods.
1-New Piston.
New Oil Pump.
New Oil Pan.
Block Machined and cleaned out.

I did not want this motor back and also wanted a new crate motor for My new 70k Car! GM said no, but.........

Our Dealer along with the local GM rep stepped up and We ended up getting another car. Don't stop until you get to the top and be persistent about your NEW car. Good luck.

Last edited by EVL-C8; 07-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchC7
Purchased my torch red C7 not even 1 month ago and it only has 2600 miles on it. Driving home Saturday and started hearing a knocking noise so I drove it straight to the dealership. Go figure no service on Saturday so I drop it and they put me in a Impalla . Get no call on Monday morning from them so I call around 10:30 to find out they have it in the shop looking at it and I would get a call back around 1. 1 comes and goes no call so at 3 I call they tell me they hooked the computer up to read the ECU and sent it to GM they would call back at 5. No call back so I call at 4:45 to be put on hold and never answered for 15 minutes.

So here we are today I call at 08:30 this morning to find out about it since I havent got a call from them. They inform me the noise is coming from the engine which I already told them. Then say GM wants them to tear it down to inspect and fix.

My agruement is the car is BRAND NEW doesnt even have 3K on the dash and now some local mechanic in which they plainly stated they hadnt even done a oil change on a C7 yet is going to put the engine back together. So I called GM direct after that told them everything and the lady told me pretty much they would fix under warranty but would not get me a new motor directly from GM.

Is it to much for me to ask for a new motor to go in my brand new 60K dollar car with only 2600 miles. I just cant believe that GM would not offer some options other than letting a customer be satisified with his brand new vette having a rebuilt motor.
There are no "new motors" available for your car. New motors go in new cars. Rebuilt motors go in used cars. You have a used car. It is titled and has 3,000 miles on it. So realign your expectations with reality.

If indeed your engine was flawed from a non-local assembly mechanic/factory, what makes you think the next one won't be as well? Personally, I would much rather have a local engine builder hand build my engine like you are about to have. The small block chevy is one of the easiest and well known engines to work on and repair or modify. You should have no concerns with it.

A factory trained and certified dealer technician will rebuild your engine properly, GM is not going to have a "local mechanic" perform the repair, especially since GM is paying to have the work done, not you.

There are laws in place governing these situations. These laws exist because this type of thing does happen. And it happens across the industry and the world on a fairly regular basis. You do not have a unique circumstance. I do understand it is frustrating or annoying or disheartening, but it's time to accept that it has happened and all you can do is move to the next day, the next step, and just get through it.

More than likely you will be well taken care of and GM/Chevy will correct the problem and you will have your car back to enjoy for many years to come. If the repair is not completed within the required parameters to keep it out of your state's lemon law criteria then you can pursue that. Until then, let them do their thing.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by zdonner
Situation sucks... but if you're really worried about rebuilding a small block Chevrolet being too "complicated"... maybe instead you'd be more worried that the engine serial won't match if they replace it.

Engine serial number's quit mattering after 1970's!

Engine Serial number's DO NOT MATTER ON A C7! Period!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
There are no "new motors" available for your car. New motors go in new cars. Rebuilt motors go in used cars. You have a used car. It is titled and has 3,000 miles on it. So realign your expectations with reality.

If indeed your engine was flawed from a non-local assembly mechanic/factory, what makes you think the next one won't be as well? Personally, I would much rather have a local engine builder hand build my engine like you are about to have. The small block chevy is one of the easiest and well known engines to work on and repair or modify. You should have no concerns with it.

A factory trained and certified dealer technician will rebuild your engine properly, GM is not going to have a "local mechanic" perform the repair, especially since GM is paying to have the work done, not you.

There are laws in place governing these situations. These laws exist because this type of thing does happen. And it happens across the industry and the world on a fairly regular basis. You do not have a unique circumstance. I do understand it is frustrating or annoying or disheartening, but it's time to accept that it has happened and all you can do is move to the next day, the next step, and just get through it.

More than likely you will be well taken care of and GM/Chevy will correct the problem and you will have your car back to enjoy for many years to come. If the repair is not completed within the required parameters to keep it out of your state's lemon law criteria then you can pursue that. Until then, let them do their thing.

What a crock! IF GM says it gets a new engine they have them!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM
zdonner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08

Engine serial number's quit mattering after 1970's!

Engine Serial number's DO NOT MATTER ON A C7! Period!
Glad someone here got the joke!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08

What a crock! IF GM says it gets a new engine they have them!
Is that a professional opinion?

I've worked on the corporate side for auto manufacturers and run dealerships over the last 23 years.

What do you do?

By the way, I never said GM doesn't have new engines.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Try to be patient. There is a resolution to everything. The fact that the dealer was able to get your car in on one days notice is not bad. Calling every few hours will only make the dealer less likely to bend over backwards for you. I understand you're upset and anxious, but things happen.

GM has procedures for situations like this, the engine needs to be disassembled to determine what failed and why. More times than not in a situation where the vehicle and/or engine is of new design, they will replace the engine assembly unless it's an easy fix.

Your dealer has technicians that are certified and trained to work on Corvettes. A small block engine with active fuel management is not new to them. I would not worry about the work being performed correctly.

Let the dealer make their findings and then try to work with them on a resolution that you'll be satisfied with. Both you and GM will loose in this situation.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Also, it will almost be a wast of time to contact Chevy Customer Assistance. What they do is contact the dealer and pass your information for them to handle it. You end up back at the dealer looking for an answer. You're best bet is to meet the service manager and express your concerns with him.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

I get your trying to tell OP that what he is asking is not going to happen in reality, but damn go easy on him.

Like you said, hes probably extremely frustrated and annoyed, and came on the forum to somewhat release his frustration and get words of advice. Dont get me wrong, I personally think your post has the most useful information, but you don't need to be an *** when you say it.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM
drburns
Instructor

This really scares the hell out of me. How many stock engine failures have we seen on this forum so far? Three? Four? Gotta wonder how many more there are that aren't on the forums. More importantly, what's causing these failures?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattkim85
I get your trying to tell OP that what he is asking is not going to happen in reality, but damn go easy on him.

Like you said, hes probably extremely frustrated and annoyed, and came on the forum to somewhat release his frustration and get words of advice. Dont get me wrong, I personally think your post has the most useful information, but you don't need to be an *** when you say it.
you must be a glass half empty kind of guy. did your dad yell at you a lot growing up? reread my post but this time with a jovial tone and a hearty laugh at the end and then come back and call me an ***. I bet you can't!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drburns
This really scares the hell out of me. How many stock engine failures have we seen on this forum so far? Three? Four? Gotta wonder how many more there are that aren't on the forums. More importantly, what's causing these failures?
Honestly, probably not that many. One of the first thing someone is likely to do if they have a problem like this is find someplace on the Internet to air their frustration.

Sure, it sucks but remember there are over 30000 C7's out there so some failures are to be expected.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

you must be a glass half empty kind of guy. did your dad yell at you a lot growing up? reread my post but this time with a jovial tone and a hearty laugh at the end and then come back and call me an ***. I bet you can't!
Why so offensive? Maybe you were beaten as a child and you've finally grown and learned how to put others down and be defensive on the internet. Grow up, Sir.

Get notified of new replies

To 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattkim85
Why so offensive? Maybe you were beaten as a child and you've finally grown and learned how to put others down and be defensive on the internet. Grow up, Sir.
good one. you got me there..

you think I'm offensive and I think you are sensitive. wonder where this will lead. hey my wife is from LA. city produces great women.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM
TorchC7
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the help everyone and I am just keeping my fingers crossed for now it is something minor! I will keep everyone updated so you guys can know the outcome of it all.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

One option would be to accept GMs terms on getting your engine rebuilt, but ask for some compensation in the form of a complimentary extended power train warranty or something like that. Gives GM a chance to stand behind their recommendation that a rebuild will be a fine solution.

-T

Quick Reply: 2600 Miles Motor Knocking Already!!!!!!!