C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Shifter Sale

Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 AM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kracka
Are you not happy with the MGW?
As alluded to in an earlier post, shifter preference is very much a subjective thing to each individual. It's kind of like bicycle handlebar/saddle/paddle, sometimes you find the right one the first time. Other times you go through a couple before you do.

Personally I don't like the extra effort needed to pull/push the MGW laterally from center to 1/2 and 5/6. To most others it's an non issue as MGW is highly praised by just about everyone.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Got it, understand you completely. I went through numerous shifter & bushing setups on my last car to find my ideal combo.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Default About shifter

Originally Posted by RedCarrot
Just ordered mine as well. Will be interesting to see/feel how it compares to my current MGW.
If you would would you let us know how it works for you?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Delete

Last edited by C8Jake; 08-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Sounds like it must be a much more straight forward install than the MGW if it only took 30 minutes. Tempted to bite on this!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Delete

Last edited by C8Jake; 08-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by thrilled
If you would would you let us know how it works for you?
You bet! I will install it this weekend.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

I installed the MTI shifter yesterday. The install takes about an hour if you have never taken off the lower center console before. If you have and know the where the nuts and clips are, feel comfortable at pulling the panels, and handy at unclipping the sockets, then it's an half hour job. The uninstall and install of the shifter itself takes 5 minutes. It took me longer because I was swapping out the MGW shift box unit.

Impression after a short drive:
Compared to stock shifter, the travel is noticeably shorter although it's not as short as I'd like. Shift action is more crisp and precise. It does not higher centering force. It may actually have less centering force but that could be my muscle memory playing tricks on me after using the MGW shifter for the past 5 months. Overall, it is a sure win over the stock unit.

Compared to MGW shifter, the MTI travel is noticeably longer. The trade off is that it take much less force to move laterally and up/down into gears. It doesn't have the dead bolt-like rigidity of MGW, but the shift action is more fluid and natural. MGW feels like it has to go through a double gate to enter each gear.

Construction and material quality wise, MGW is a step above. The MTI is very high quality in itself, but MGW is over-the-top impressive in this area. One key difference between the two is that MGW has an enlarged ball that goes directly into socket. MTI has OEM sized ball and reuses the OEM plastic cap on the ball to fit into the socket. I can't say which is better but it's one of the factors that attributes to the overall feel between the two shifters.

Another notable difference is MGW has interchangeable rods (chosen at time of order, or order separately) that fits snugly with stock shifter or universal size aftermarket shifter. MTI is one size fits all. OEM shifter sits on it loosely until secured by a single screw, providing a less solid feel. It may cause wear on the hard plastic screw hole over time. An area for improvement would be for MTI to include a plastic cap/sleeve that goes over and around the rod for a snug fit with C7 OEM shifter. My workaround is to wrap some high quality electrical tape around the rod to build up the girth.

It is a tough call to single out a winner between the two - it very much depends on personal preference. My personal preference is leaning toward MTI.

Disclaimer: I paid full retail price for both MGW ($364 shipped) and MTI ($204 shipped).
The key to the price difference is that MGW includes the shifter box.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

BTW, given the MGW shifter works with OEM shift box, it stands to reason MTI shifter would work with MGW shift box as well. It would be intriguing to try out the other 2 combos: MGW with OEM shift box, and MTI with MGW shift box.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm leaning towards MTI because of less labor.It sounds like A good shifter.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sale

I have plenty of shifters in stock ready to ship today. Cash in on the savings before the end of the month.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Shifter Sale