C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 8 speed reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default First 8 speed reviews?

When should we see the first 8 speed reviews?

Sounds like cars will be delivered within 5-6 weeks and surprised there have been no reviews.

Seriously considering moving from an M7 to a A8 but although there is all the hype over shift speed in the A8 there is a lot more to it and I'm interested to see how it really does.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I read this but to my knowledge No reviews yet. I would guess maybe by the end of the month?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-pdk-heres-how

“It was designed to enhance the Stingray’s driving experience, with performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement.”

The available 8L90 transmission is based on the same eight-speed automatic that will be offered on the supercharged 2015 Corvette Z06, but with unique clutch and torque converter specifications matched to the torque capacity of the Stingray’s LT1 6.2L naturally aspirated engine.

The transmission controller analyzes and executes commands 160 times per second. Wide-open throttle upshifts are executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.

Smaller steps between gears, compared to the previous six-speed automatic, keep the engine within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of its horsepower and torque to optimize performance and efficiency.

With four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the new eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the previous six-speed automatic. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds, or 4 kg, lighter than the six-speed. Design features that reduce friction contribute to the expected 5-percent greater efficiency.

The 8L90 is built at GM’s Toledo, Ohio, transmission facility.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...orv8speed.html

Last edited by DRLC5; 08-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

So is the A8 a performance transmission or fuel mileage transmission designed to beat future CAFE standards?

But whatever I would expect the performance numbers and fuel mileage numbers to be updated soon on the Chevy home page. That will be the real truth.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I never was an automatic person. The only time we had auto's were in SUV's.

My current C7 is a manual and my DD was a manual.

3 days in my new S4 with the DSG has really changed my mind. There is a lot more to the DSG/TC transmission argument than shift speed.

I have never, ever been a Porsche fan, ever. After driving this for a few days I started pricing out 911's The transmission made that big of a difference.

Still never buy one, I was amazed at the pricing but a Macan is a strong contender for a replacement for my wife's GC. We were planning on a SQ5 but the Macan is around the same dollars and has PDK versus the standard 8 speed auto.

I never really understood the whole hype over a dual clutch until I drove one. My gas mileage has suffered horribly but it is just fun to drive, more so than a manual. If Chevy can come close to how a dual clutch unit acts they will sell even more than they sell now.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The Macan is a hot ride for a family hauler.

I look forward to the reviews on the A8 corvette z51 and Z06.

Been driving manuals for over 35 years.....still the new A8 sounds as if it might just be the way to go in the next corvette.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

From the posts on here, there seems to be two camps of thinking as we sit on the edge of our seats, awaiting the arrival of the A8. Some are convinced it's mainly about a 5% MPG increase( 1 or 2 MPG I guess) with no real difference from the A6, except maybe a constant hunting in automatic mode for the appropriate gear in daily driving. The other camp is hopeful that GM is not blowing smoke and that the A8 will be a game changer with dual clutch comparable performance. It won't be long till we find out who is right or is the answer somewhere in the middle maybe. 2015 production is scheduled to start a week from tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To First 8 speed reviews?

Quick Reply: First 8 speed reviews?