C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 carbon ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C7 Z51 carbon ceramic brakes

Good morning corvette aficionados!

Its confirmed from the top of GM that the Z28 Carbon Ceramics Brakes will work on the C7 Z51!

Cheers,

Theo Harris
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like driving my car. A brake jobs cost on those make me want to not drive it if I had it.

But this is good news!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

That's good news as I hate to deal with cleaning my rims twice right after I wash my car then clean them again after I do a short drive to get the rust off.

Curious on the price.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
That's good news as I hate to deal with cleaning my rims twice right after I wash my car then clean them again after I do a short drive to get the rust off.

Curious on the price.
One of us is confused. You are referring to ceramic pads. Which are dustless, but usually a little less performance.

I am, and I think the z28 has, the carbon ceramic brakes, like the rotors / pads etc. Its a very high performance brake setup, that was available on the z06/zr1 c6. And is on a lot of ferraris etc. I have many friends at my local dealer and they just did a z06 carbon edition brake job at like 15k miles, for like $8,000 to replace rotors, pads, etc.

Whoa.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Baron7700
One of us is confused. You are referring to ceramic pads. Which are dustless, but usually a little less performance.

I am, and I think the z28 has, the carbon ceramic brakes, like the rotors / pads etc. Its a very high performance brake setup, that was available on the z06/zr1 c6. And is on a lot of ferraris etc. I have many friends at my local dealer and they just did a z06 carbon edition brake job at like 15k miles, for like $8,000 to replace rotors, pads, etc.

Whoa.
You are correct.

Motohead279, if you are looking for a low dust performance pad check out the Carbotech 1521 pad. F: $161 R: $164

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Whoa.
If you look at a big brake setup for the front and rear, the price is pretty competitive. Will be very interested if it comes in at $5K or so.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

No I already have Carbotech carbon ceramic pads for about 7 - 8 months now. I'm talking about rotors. After spending 2 hours washing my car and cleaning the wheels, I then have to drive it around the block to get the rust off the rotors, in turn coating the wheels in rust dust, in turn making me wipe down the wheels again, which is not good because wiping metal rust particles scratch the wheels and it's a PITA.

Last edited by Motohead279; 08-11-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Most people who track cars stick with Iron rotors and more normal BBK's. Ceramics are expensive if your going to track the car a lot.

Essex will be coming out with AP rotors soon.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadville1
Most people who track cars stick with Iron rotors and more normal BBK's. Ceramics are expensive if your going to track the car a lot.

Essex will be coming out with AP rotors soon.
Yes

But CC brakes are the best!

Spoke to Essex not a release any day soon, same with DBA, they are all in development with 2015 or later release dates
Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Essex said to me that they were going to be ready by SEMA, they are losing business by not getting these out. How complicated are discs?

If we are saying that the carbon ceramics work on the C7 what about the ZL1 kit? That is what I would be interested in those are the 6 piston Brembo's with a two piece rotor. The CTS V also has the same set up.

These seem like no brainers.

I have no idea why the aftermarket is so slow with this C7

No radiator
No improved discs
Limited BBK's
Limited suspension options
Track wheels

You name it almost nothing on the market for the guy looking for track upgrades.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I have many friends at my local dealer and they just did a z06 carbon edition brake job at like 15k miles, for like $8,000 to replace rotors, pads, etc.
Whoa.
Unless the car was heavily tracked there is no reason that you should need to do a full brake job at 15K miles. The stock CC rotors should last the life of the car if you are not tracking it. Also if he paid 8K he got ripped off. You can order all 4 rotors and a full set of pads from Amazon for ~$5K.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Essex said to me that they were going to be ready by SEMA, they are losing business by not getting these out. How complicated are discs?

If we are saying that the carbon ceramics work on the C7 what about the ZL1 kit? That is what I would be interested in those are the 6 piston Brembo's with a two piece rotor. The CTS V also has the same set up.

No radiator
No improved discs
Limited BBK's
Track wheels

You name it almost nothing on the market for the guy looking for track upgrades.
Frustrating how long stuff is taking to come out. I guess I never bought a 1st year model so I have no reference.

The ZL1 brakes are actually an option for the V6 Camaro on the Build Site. Pretty cool. I wonder if they will fit under the base vette wheels....if so, i could definitely see myself getting a set.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Pricing on the Z28 stuff??

Also still waiting for PFC to make replacement rotors for the Z51 just like AP. Nothing yet from either company for OEM sized replacements. My OEM rotors are getting chewed up a lot running Hawk DTC60's on the street. With my PFC rotors on another car, they do not get worn down by the same pads when run on the street between track events. Z51 rotors must be quite soft. The Brinell hardness of the cast iron in high quality racing rotors is considerably higher than that of OEM rotors to handle wear better.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Frustrating how long stuff is taking to come out. I guess I never bought a 1st year model so I have no reference.

The ZL1 brakes are actually an option for the V6 Camaro on the Build Site. Pretty cool. I wonder if they will fit under the base vette wheels....if so, i could definitely see myself getting a set.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/SS-V...0815C1009.aspx

It would be interesting to see if the ZL1 rotors would fit the stock wheels, ZL1's have 20" wheels.

You can buy the whole set up for $3200. There massive brakes, there also $800 less than the Brembo kit.

I have pretty much given up tracking my car this year and am just using my M3. I'll work over the winter improving the car. Stoptech is supposed to have a kit out very soon for this car as well.

Why the heck they didn't just put the ZL1 brakes on the Vette is beyond me.

Last edited by leadville1; 08-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Pricing on the Z28 stuff??

Also still waiting for PFC to make replacement rotors for the Z51 just like AP. Nothing yet from either company for OEM sized replacements. My OEM rotors are getting chewed up a lot running Hawk DTC60's on the street. With my PFC rotors on another car, they do not get worn down by the same pads when run on the street between track events. Z51 rotors must be quite soft. The Brinell hardness of the cast iron in high quality racing rotors is considerably higher than that of OEM rotors to handle wear better.
Would you really want CC brakes for the track?

My buddy just bought a GT3 and just about all those guys take the CC's off and use Iron discs. I am thinking if the CC's fit the Corvette the ZL1's should too.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Default New info

Originally Posted by Theo Harris
Good morning corvette aficionados!

Its confirmed from the top of GM that the Z28 Carbon Ceramics Brakes will work on the C7 Z51!

Cheers,

Theo Harris
Size works, electronics will not

Sorry guys
Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 AM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

No radiator
No improved discs
Limited BBK's
Track wheels

Look at something as seemingly simple as a bolt-on intake. Vararam, Callaway, LMR, K&N, etc. still "working on it" a year after car is out. Yes, I know Haltech and AFE are already out there.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 carbon ceramic brakes

Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Come on guys, be nice! We have a whole bunch of track-related products either released or in-process for the C7.

Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Big Brake Kit (on sale now)- We have these on quite a few C7's and the feedback has been tremendous. You can read reviews on our blog.

Spiegler front and rear stainless steel brake lines (on sale now)

AP Racing PRF brake fluid (on sale now)

All of these pads are on sale now
Front Ferodo DS1.11 racing pads (FCP1334W)
Front Ferodo DS2500 racing pads (FCP1334H)

Rear Ferodo DS1.11 racing pads (FRP3137W)
Rear Ferodo DS2500 racing pads (FRP3137H)

AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Endurance Racing Discs (front and rear)- These will be released in early November (around SEMA time, as mentioned above).

In defense of all my aftermarket brothers, something that is seemingly simple isn't always quite that simple. Developing a new product requires drawings, revisions, measurements, machine programming, writing instruction manuals, writing product materials/web content, more measuring, photos, quality testing, packaging, loading into MRP system, establish pricing, advertising, lead time for import (most of our products come from Europe)...the list goes on and on.

If you plan to track your car heavily, an aftermarket system with iron brake discs is a far superior option vs. carbon ceramic in terms of long-term running costs, overall durability, etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Come on guys, be nice! We have a whole bunch of track-related products either released or in-process for the C7.

Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Big Brake Kit (on sale now)- We have these on quite a few C7's and the feedback has been tremendous. You can read reviews on our blog.

Spiegler front and rear stainless steel brake lines (on sale now)

AP Racing PRF brake fluid (on sale now)

All of these pads are on sale now
Front Ferodo DS1.11 racing pads (FCP1334W)
Front Ferodo DS2500 racing pads (FCP1334H)

Rear Ferodo DS1.11 racing pads (FRP3137W)
Rear Ferodo DS2500 racing pads (FRP3137H)

AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Endurance Racing Discs (front and rear)- These will be released in early November (around SEMA time, as mentioned above).

In defense of all my aftermarket brothers, something that is seemingly simple isn't always quite that simple. Developing a new product requires drawings, revisions, measurements, machine programming, writing instruction manuals, writing product materials/web content, more measuring, photos, quality testing, packaging, loading into MRP system, establish pricing, advertising, lead time for import (most of our products come from Europe)...the list goes on and on.

If you plan to track your car heavily, an aftermarket system with iron brake discs is a far superior option vs. carbon ceramic in terms of long-term running costs, overall durability, etc.
GM made me take my Spiegler lines off because it was causing my Brembo calipers to leak brake fluid out of the bleeders......shame on you for creating such un-engineered products.....

In all seriousness, I have no idea why simple things like radiators and discs can't be done a year into development. Same with Stoptech they haven't even developed a kit yet.

Very frustrating for sure, since this is what I bought the car for.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/SS-V...0815C1009.aspx

It would be interesting to see if the ZL1 rotors would fit the stock wheels, ZL1's have 20" wheels.

You can buy the whole set up for $3200. There massive brakes, there also $800 less than the Brembo kit.

I have pretty much given up tracking my car this year and am just using my M3. I'll work over the winter improving the car. Stoptech is supposed to have a kit out very soon for this car as well.

Why the heck they didn't just put the ZL1 brakes on the Vette is beyond me.
Z28 has the carbon ceramic brakes and it has 19" front wheels, same as the Z51.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 carbon ceramic brakes