C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?

It's been 8 months since the InTune and Trinity has been out in the wild and although Mike confirmed they leave no trace in the CVN I don't see any mention of flash counters and other methods claimed to be available to the dealer.

With many in the wild I'm sure some have had the car back to the dealer. Has anyone been able to confirm the tunes are undetectable once removed, including any alternative methods GM may have lurking to try and void warranties?

Maybe someone with a mod friendly dealer who's actually tried to detect it, as a test?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Just to clarify, there is nothing new in the C7 as far as GMs ability to detect tunes that hasn't been in place for years and years on all NBS trucks, CTSVs, C6's, Camaros, you name it.
Don't limit yourself to asking just C7 guys, we have 1000s and 1000s of customers who have been to the dealer after using our device on GM vehicles equipped with a PCM that records CVNs, and you will not find one in those markets either

I'm not sure what you mean by no mention of other methods claimed to be available to the dealer. If you search my posts, I have shared more info on the GM CVN procedure than anyone else I have seen on this forum. That is how that detect tunes. It is the only way. We are not detectable by it.

In another thread here, a random forum member who I do not know, and who openly stated he is not a fan of our tunes, did say he verified with a tech2 that flashing with one of our devices did not affect the CVN and left no trace of us having been there. I'll dig that up for you when I am back in the office Wednesday if you'd like.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Are you planning to carry provisions to flash your vehicle in cases where the car breaks down at x place and gets towed to the stealer? I don't mean that it breaks from the tune per say, but if anything breaks?

Reprogramming is not worth the risk if the car is under warranty.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Are you planning to carry provisions to flash your vehicle in cases where the car breaks down at x place and gets towed to the stealer? I don't mean that it breaks from the tune per say, but if anything breaks?

I carry mine in the glove box for just such an occasion. Besides if I didn't keep it there I might just loose it...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Just to clarify, there is nothing new in the C7 as far as GMs ability to detect tunes that hasn't been in place for years and years on all NBS trucks, CTSVs, C6's, Camaros, you name it.
Don't limit yourself to asking just C7 guys, we have 1000s and 1000s of customers who have been to the dealer after using our device on GM vehicles equipped with a PCM that records CVNs, and you will not find one in those markets either

I'm not sure what you mean by no mention of other methods claimed to be available to the dealer. If you search my posts, I have shared more info on the GM CVN procedure than anyone else I have seen on this forum. That is how that detect tunes. It is the only way. We are not detectable by it.

In another thread here, a random forum member who I do not know, and who openly stated he is not a fan of our tunes, did say he verified with a tech2 that flashing with one of our devices did not affect the CVN and left no trace of us having been there. I'll dig that up for you when I am back in the office Wednesday if you'd like.

Thanks
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I did search the various threads but things get buried so it's hard to catch every post.

I do recall seeing some conjecture posts about methods other than CVN but they were speculative at best and sound a lot like seeds planted by GM or dealers to dissuade people rather than fact and your first hand account of the 1000's of overall GM users was what I was looking for.

I'm not typically tuner shy, I've tuned most cars I've owned but not having had a GM product for years I just wanted to make sure.

As for questions about carrying the unit in case of a remote issue, that's always been my policy. The InTune with cable will fit nicely sitting on top of the lifting picks I store in the rear cubby hole.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,714 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Mike - Any reported issues of heat/temp swings and vibration hurting the handheld over time? I'm always nervous to store electronics in a car.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree
Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Wow...Paranoid much?

Just carry it with you...It's half the size of a pack of cigarettes...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Just carry it with you...It's half the size of a pack of cigarettes...[/QUOTE]

I carry mine in the hidden compartment in the back. Also, I've had my C7 Z51 into the dealer 3 times for software updates and they haven't said a thing. Not sure if they didn't see it, weren't looking for it or they don't really give a rat's a$$.

I've got over 4K miles with the Diablo tune and never had an issue with anything overheating. All temps are exactly where they were with the stock program.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,714 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Great to hear guys! I'm going to start keeping mine in the car too.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 PM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic has came up a lot lately, then some troll says something nasty, I was one of the first c7s w the DS.Tune, Mike gave it to me the day before the public had it.. I have been to dealer about 4 X's and never has the subject came up, even when the tech saw the CAI he smiled, I would say, the best conservative Mod out there, don't for get the CAI Tune combo...
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjw930
It's been 8 months since the InTune and Trinity has been out in the wild and although Mike confirmed they leave no trace in the CVN I don't see any mention of flash counters and other methods claimed to be available to the dealer.

With many in the wild I'm sure some have had the car back to the dealer. Has anyone been able to confirm the tunes are undetectable once removed, including any alternative methods GM may have lurking to try and void warranties?

Maybe someone with a mod friendly dealer who's actually tried to detect it, as a test?
If there is an expensive warranty issue with the drive train GM can detect if there ever was use of a programmer by doing a process called a DNA search of the computer which will detect it and the complete history from the moment the computer was activated at the factory. Since I put a 7 year warranty on my C7 I would not take a chance with any aftermarket tuner no matter what the tuner manufacture claims.. .

Last edited by Senior Teen; 08-23-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:43 AM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

diablo tuner has been around for a while and so has the c6, so has anyone had a problem with warranty!? i have not heard of anyone on this forum complain about their warranty being dropped because of a tune.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Senior Teen
If there is an expensive warranty issue with the drive train GM can detect if there ever was use of a programmer by doing a process called a DNA search of the computer which will detect it and the complete history from the moment the computer was activated at the factory. Since I put a 7 year warranty on my C7 I would not take a chance with any aftermarket tuner no matter what the tuner manufacture claims.. .
It is referred to as CVN, not DNA. As I have mentioned countless times, our flash process does not even show up on the CVN check, thus they cannot see it.

Can they see tunes flashed with other devices, Yes.
Can they see tunes flashed with OUR devices, No.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by time2run

I carry mine in the hidden compartment in the back. Also, I've had my C7 Z51 into the dealer 3 times for software updates and they haven't said a thing. Not sure if they didn't see it, weren't looking for it or they don't really give a rat's a$$.
Probably all of the above
Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

It is referred to as CVN, not DNA. As I have mentioned countless times, our flash process does not even show up on the CVN check, thus they cannot see it.

Thanks
How is it possible that your tune and only your tune cannot be detected? All tunes modify operational values in the ECU dont they? And the CVN would change if values are changed. Does your tune possibly apply the performance values in a non-permanent state each time the car starts some how?

Note: I am not doubting you or making accusations of any kind as I am in the market for a tune solution and am trying to determine how this functions to help make the best decision I can to protect my warranty. Also, is there any guarantee/warranty included that the dealer cannot find your tune? Thanks in advance Mike!

Ant
Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
How is it possible that your tune and only your tune cannot be detected? All tunes modify operational values in the ECU dont they? And the CVN would change if values are changed. Does your tune possibly apply the performance values in a non-permanent state each time the car starts some how?

Note: I am not doubting you or making accusations of any kind as I am in the market for a tune solution and am trying to determine how this functions to help make the best decision I can to protect my warranty. Also, is there any guarantee/warranty included that the dealer cannot find your tune? Thanks in advance Mike!

Ant
Well, I like my job too much to just tell you how we do it

We simply spent some time looking at how the CVN process works, and found a way to do what we needed. It has been verified to not show up by a 3rd party member here and I have tested it countless times.

No guarantees as to what you asked. We have no way to know what happened, or if you told them you tuned the PCM, or if it had previously been flashed by some other non GM method, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Well, I like my job too much to just tell you how we do it

We simply spent some time looking at how the CVN process works, and found a way to do what we needed. It has been verified to not show up by a 3rd party member here and I have tested it countless times.

No guarantees as to what you asked. We have no way to know what happened, or if you told them you tuned the PCM, or if it had previously been flashed by some other non GM method, etc.
Ok, I get your point. I did not expect you to leak your detailed R&D here. I was just hoping for more than "it's magic!" Lol. I do wish there was more concrete confirmation than just "verified by a 3rd party member" though. In reference to the no guarantee against detection, your logic as to why is pretty sound. I'm not trying to give a hard time either, I'm just being inquisitive and trying to cover my a$$. You're still at the top of my list for who I would go with for a tune either way.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks
As much as I dislike the Diablo software, he is 100% correct. We have flashed not only my own personal 2014 sierra with but other cars as well and then checked the CVN checksum using the Tech II and the Checksum is unchanged. As soon as you flash it with HPT or EFI it changes.

The software or "tune" is indeed undetectable....
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
As much as I dislike the Diablo software, he is 100% correct. We have flashed not only my own personal 2014 sierra with but other cars as well and then checked the CVN checksum using the Tech II and the Checksum is unchanged. As soon as you flash it with HPT or EFI it changes.

The software or "tune" is indeed undetectable....
So, NOW we're saying you can put their tune in and it won't be detected by GM or are you saying you can put the tune in, then put the original tune back in before you go to your dealer and it won't be detected that it was once there?

Quick Reply: Dealer detecting Diablosport - any reports?