C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Track Day upgrades would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM
BSER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Track Day upgrades would you do???

The idea of this thread is a list of modifications for Track day use (not racing). Which mods would you choose in order and why.

Here is my initial list, and I will admit that this comes from the perspective of my Pro-Touring back ground. My Z51 7M is on order and I plan on having parts on hand to to do modifications as soon as break in is complete.

1. Brakes - because getting into trouble is easier than getting out of it.
Dot 4 fluid
Brake lines
Track pads (will swap back to street pads after track day)
Up-graded 2 PC rotors

I don't think a BBK is called for on a car that will see the track only 3 or 4 times a year. I could be wrong.

2. Shifter upgrade - money shift avoidance is the main reason, better shifting is a big plus too.

3. AFE intake and Diablo tuner - a little extra GO, I can't live without at least a little extra power; just not in my make-up. These mods would be done together because Diablo has a specific tune for the AFE intake.

I believe that none of the mods I have listed will not void the warranty, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BSER
The idea of this thread is a list of modifications for Track day use (not racing). Which mods would you choose in order and why.

Here is my initial list, and I will admit that this comes from the perspective of my Pro-Touring back ground. My Z51 7M is on order and I plan on having parts on hand to to do modifications as soon as break in is complete.

Dot 4 fluid
Brake lines
Up-graded 2 PC rotors

I don't think a BBK is called for on a car that will see the track only 3 or 4 times a year. I could be wrong.

2. Shifter upgrade - money shift avoidance is the main reason, better shifting is a big plus too.

3. AFE intake and Diablo tuner - a little extra GO, I can't live without at least a little extra power; just not in my make-up. These mods would be done together because Diablo has a specific tune for the AFE intake.

I believe that none of the mods I have listed will not void the warranty, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Have you seen the GM recommended prep list for HPDEs? It may be in the manual.Very daunting. You may want to consider a different set of wheels and tires.
I understand that the Diablo tune is supposed to be undetectable but that may be a voided warranty issue also.

The brakes on my '09 Z were incredible and never changed them until last Oct and bought Carbotechs and new rotors. I believe the Z51 brakes are pretty substantial. I also switched to Motul Brake Fluid.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:51 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

My first set of concerns would be::
A) Brakes--DOT 4 or better, and arrange air flow to the calipers and rotors.
B) cooling--radiator, transmission, diferential
Old 08-30-2014, 04:12 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

1. Better tires, ditch the run-flats, run regular MPSS, Rivals or R-S3's, or better still R-comps
(I wore out LF OEM Z51 tire in one day on track)

2. Race pads (I wore out OEM rear pads in one day on track

3. Race discs (running my Hawk DTC-60 front race pads on the streets really wore out the OEM front rotors, but those same pads do nothing to my PFC rotors on the street on my GT-R)

4. Race brake fluid (Castrol SRF or equivalent)

5. Additional transmission cooling (my M7 Z51 was constantly in the red zone for transmission fluid temp)

6. Better radiator (my Z51 was going toward the coolant red zone at the end of the day on track)

7. Some kind of upgraded AFM valve actuators in the exhaust (mine as well as others have failed on track, and apparently GM knows about the issue)

8. The easy part, Mobil 15W50 oil.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Zajac
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 Track day

Based on what I read on this post, I may be more than a little concerned about taking my C7 NON Z51, 7 spd manual to the track for HPDE events. I usually track a Saleen Parneli Jones Mustang so I see the need for track pads, brake cooling SS brake lines. Motul or ATE 600F brake fluid as well as track oriented tires.

Last week a fellow in a C7 auto pulled off from a HPDE session early due to the auto trans overheating. So I was surprised that a 7spd manual C7 Z51 with trans and diff cooling had the trans temps in the red zone?

Maybe the C7 Z51 isn't as track oriented as others have described?

And the Non Z51 C7 without "E-Diff" & cooling may be even less track ready?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Dot 4 fluid
Brake lines
Up-graded 2 PC rotors

What is your on track experience? Definitely go SRF fluid other than that yes, race pads but if your a novice the best thing is driver mod learn the car. The tune and intake I doubt you will notice on a road course. If you want to keep your warranty I would go SRF fluid Carbotech brake pads. You can use Carbotech street pad and race pads on the same rotor with no issue. All Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other so, all you need to do is swap pads and go.

I will be happy to discuss Carbotech brake compounds if your interested.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Zajac
Based on what I read on this post, I may be more than a little concerned about taking my C7 NON Z51, 7 spd manual to the track for HPDE events. I usually track a Saleen Parneli Jones Mustang so I see the need for track pads, brake cooling SS brake lines. Motul or ATE 600F brake fluid as well as track oriented tires.

Last week a fellow in a C7 auto pulled off from a HPDE session early due to the auto trans overheating. So I was surprised that a 7spd manual C7 Z51 with trans and diff cooling had the trans temps in the red zone?

Maybe the C7 Z51 isn't as track oriented as others have described?

And the Non Z51 C7 without "E-Diff" & cooling may be even less track ready?
If you rely too heavily on PTM the trans will get hot and you'll eat the rear brake pads.

The auto trans is not track ready.

I've tracked the hell out of my Z51 at two different tracks in mid 90 degree weather with zero issues.

Change the brake fluid to something better, I like SRF. Do the track alignment and run the 15w-50 weight oil recommended by GM.

Have fun.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Zajac
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 Track day

Good points. I usually run the NASA HPDE 3 group with unlimited passing, etc. I do regularly track my 5 spd 2007 Saleen PJ Mustang with about 600 hp and StopTech 14" brakes, ATE Blue fluid, Hawk DTC60 pads, cooling ducts, etc.

I will use ATE Blue fluid as I still have plenty, change the pads to Carbotech XP8 pads and ust run the stock Michelin 18"/19" run flat tires for to check the C7 out the first time.

Feel free to comment on the Carbotech XP8 pad choice as a C7 starting point. Actually, I will also switch to a Carbotech pad (XP_?) on my Mustang after the Hawk DTC60s wear down.

I hoping that the C7 will be fun enough at the track to consider getting rid of my Saleen PJ which too visceral (rough, loud, etc) for a daily driver. The C7 will be my daily driver.

thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Good points. I usually run the NASA HPDE 3 group with unlimited passing, etc. I do regularly track my 5 spd 2007 Saleen PJ Mustang with about 600 hp and StopTech 14" brakes, ATE Blue fluid, Hawk DTC60 pads, cooling ducts, etc.

I will use ATE Blue fluid as I still have plenty, change the pads to Carbotech XP8 pads and ust run the stock Michelin 18"/19" run flat tires for to check the C7 out the first time.

Feel free to comment on the Carbotech XP8 pad choice as a C7 starting point. Actually, I will also switch to a Carbotech pad (XP_?) on my Mustang after the Hawk DTC60s wear down.

I hoping that the C7 will be fun enough at the track to consider getting rid of my Saleen PJ which too visceral (rough, loud, etc) for a daily driver. The C7 will be my daily driver.

thanks guys.
I would use XP12 front and XP8 for rear brake pads. If you would like to order a set of Carbotechs I will be happy to help you call me direct at 216-780-8825.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 09-09-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turbo8765
If you rely too heavily on PTM the trans will get hot and you'll eat the rear brake pads.

The auto trans is not track ready.

I've tracked the hell out of my Z51 at two different tracks in mid 90 degree weather with zero issues.

Change the brake fluid to something better, I like SRF. Do the track alignment and run the 15w-50 weight oil recommended by GM.

Have fun.
Turbo, do you follow the track prep recommendations in the Corvtte manual? As I said above, it's rather daunting and I would bet not all "trackies" do it. If you do, do you do your own alignments and fluid change backs?

Last edited by nmerhaut; 08-31-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:23 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

thanks guys.
I used a combo of Carbotech XP8s and XP10s on my '09 Z06. Only problem I ever had was a little squealing during stree driving stops.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM
BSER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idea is to have a list of mods from those that must be done just to be safe and protect the car to the ones it would be nice to have mods.

I consider brakes to be just as much about safety as performance. I will only be able to get to the track 2 or 3 times a year. My closest track is 2 hours away. Not all vette owners have a nearby track. So most of the time the car will be set up for the street which is why I stuck to simple easy to reverse mods.

The track alignment is something I have on my pro-touring car. Will I do that on the c7? Probably not until I have been to the track at least once with it.

Upgrading the brake fluid and better pads as well as mobile one oil change I would consider an absolute minimum.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I wrapped my exhaust back by the transmission and had no issues with tranny temps at Road America, Brakes that was a completely different story.

I wouldn't use ATE blue unless your a novice, I would go with SRF or Motul 660 why worry about boiling your brake fluid.

Two piece rotors are a minimum for this car the stock rotors are NOT directional and the two piece hat is a joke. The aftermarket has not caught up with the needs of this car yet for the track.

Before I did any performance mods I would do the following.

1. Wrap the exhaust back by the tranny
2. Get two piece brake rotors and track pads at a minimum, Dot 4 fluid
3. Get a track alignment
4. Change your oil to 15w50
5. Don't plan on your stock Michelin's lasting
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Turbo, do you follow the track prep recommendations in the Corvtte manual? As I said above, it's rather daunting and I would bet not all "trackies" do it. If you do, do you do your own alignments and fluid change backs?
I follow the track prep except for the cooling rings.

I used Mobil 1 15w-50 and change it after each track day. I use castrol SRF brake fluid.

My local track is easy on brakes, I run stock pads there. At VIR I run XP20 front, and XP12 rear.

I have the track alignment minus the rear camber. I use the track alignment all the time. I have two different race prep shops I use for alignments. Otherwise I do all my own work.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leadville1
I wrapped my exhaust back by the transmission and had no issues with tranny temps at Road America, Brakes that was a completely different story.

I wouldn't use ATE blue unless your a novice, I would go with SRF or Motul 660 why worry about boiling your brake fluid.

Two piece rotors are a minimum for this car the stock rotors are NOT directional and the two piece hat is a joke. The aftermarket has not caught up with the needs of this car yet for the track.

Before I did any performance mods I would do the following.

1. Wrap the exhaust back by the tranny
2. Get two piece brake rotors and track pads at a minimum, Dot 4 fluid
3. Get a track alignment
4. Change your oil to 15w50
5. Don't plan on your stock Michelin's lasting
Good news about the tranny no longer overheating with the heat wrap. What wrap did you use and what width and length do I need to buy? Also from where to where did you wrap it? Got any pictures? I have my set of Nitto NT-01's on C5Z06 wheels waiting for rear pads and now heat wrap to go back to the track. Hopefully that might help my AFM valve actuators from failing again. Z51 just needs better cooling.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Good news about the tranny no longer overheating with the heat wrap. What wrap did you use and what width and length do I need to buy? Also from where to where did you wrap it? Got any pictures? I have my set of Nitto NT-01's on C5Z06 wheels waiting for rear pads and now heat wrap to go back to the track. Hopefully that might help my AFM valve actuators from failing again. Z51 just needs better cooling.
Used the Volcano wrap from Summit Racing and wrapped the pipe from the connections from the X Pipe past the tranny and differential. Temps stay very stable on the tranny.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Looking at the picture, were you able to get heat wrap around the pipes over the rear axle line to the differential? Looked really tight up there last time I had car on a lift. Is 25 feet of wrap enough?

Get notified of new replies

To What Track Day upgrades would you do???

Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

anyone have direct comparison experience with heat wrap vs hi temp coating?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

I have direct experience with heat wrap and hi temp coating on a turbo manifold which was made by a company called Full-Race. Basically hi temp coating did very little in terms of heat radiated from the manifold. Then I wrapped it with DEI Titanium heat wrap (it's not titanium) and the heat radiated was very significantly reduced. I totally don't believe in hi temp coatings based on my direct experience. There is an endless amount of marketing hype related to hi temp coatings.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,963 Likes on 5,349 Posts

A lot of this depends on how much experience you have running on road courses. Not sure what kind of experience a Pro Touring background gets you.

Dot 4 fluid
Brake lines
Up-graded 2 PC rotors

Based on my experience of driving these tracks, Watkins Glen, Pocono, Sebring, VIR I would say forget about this for a while. There are one or two places at Pocono, Sebring and VIR where you can use 2nd gear but can get by using 3rd. Other than that almost all shifts are 3-4 and 4-3. No need to spend ~$200 for a shifter that won't improve your 3-4, 4-3 shift.

The tune will potentially void the warranty and the intake just won't add that much HP at the rpm range you will be operating the engine to provide any useful performance increase. Increased performance on a road course is due to getting through corners faster and more power doesn't do that.

believe that none of the mods I have listed will not void the warranty, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

Quick Reply: What Track Day upgrades would you do???