C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa X Pipe and stock NPP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Got it installed this afternoon.

Initial start-up - louder.

Idle - no real change.

Normal driving - can tell it's breathing a little easier. Slight change in volume level, minimal, and tone is different. I like it.

Aggressive driving - can tell it's breathing better, tone is improved, IMHO, over stock, for sure more aggressive sounding over 4k RPM.

Is it too loud now - no. It's not that dramatic of a change.

Is the tone different - yes. A little more mellow, evened out, freer revving. I like it better than stock.

Does it make you not want to upgrade to an aftermarket muffler system - No. I am still going to get a Billy Boat Fusion. It is an improvement over the stock NPP and I could live with it for a little while without an issue but, its not loud enough from me.

Do you wish you had just done the mufflers - No. It has improved the NPP and if it takes me another month or two to get the mufflers I'll still be happier than it was with stock. And, with the mufflers it will make them louder / sound better over the stock x-pipe so it's an investment step towards the final overall exhaust upgrade.

Does it look like a big flow improvement over the stock - Yes. The pipe bends are better, tehe overall diamater looks better, like Coras says it will flow better overall.
So I hear there are and are not any performance gains with just the X pipe. Your toughts? X pipe with AFE should flow better both ends so I would think it would help performance wise.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardJohanson
By increasing flow you may decrease your bottom end out of the hole 60' time on a stock automatic and end up running a slower 1/4 time.
Is this true for a better flowing CAI too?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is the stock pipe:

Name:  stockxpipe_zps084ad982.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  50.9 KB

And here is the Corsa double helix x-pipe:

Name:  Corsadoublehelix_zps03725a6b.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  38.9 KB

As you can see, the stock pipe is not that bad in terms of bends and so forth. Obviously, the Corsa should flow better and double x mellows out the sound and gives it a unique tone.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
wdlanning
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Corsa x-pipe today on my C7 Z51. It was easily bolted on, no codes, and works with the NPP. Takes an hour. The sound is much deeper and somewhat louder, but I am not sure it was worth the $500. May be I will appreciate it more as I drive the car. BTW, those are CATS not resonators that were eliminated, or they were strange looking resonators.

Please verify:

1. Bolt on Corsa x-pipe, no cutting or modifications needed to stock exhaust?
2. Will not produce any engine codes?
3. Tuning not required?
4. Will work on the NPP performance exhaust?
5. Sound and seat of the pants difference in performance?

If it does work I see a lot of these being ordered? [/QUOTE]

Last edited by wdlanning; 11-12-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Phenox
Advanced

Not to steal away from the thread but I may be removing my Corsa mid to install longtube late December if anyone is in the DFW (Texas) area and is looking for a very low mile corsa mid send me a message.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,715 Likes on 2,921 Posts

So it sounds like we have two bolt-in X-pipe options for the C7 w/NPP: Corsa & Borla. Is the NPP piping diameter a full 3"? I'm just trying to figure out if Corsa's 3" piping is even advantageous over Borla's 2.75" considering the price and weight difference (safe assumption that 2.75" piping will weigh less than 3").

Last edited by Kracka; 12-15-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:56 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kracka
So it sounds like we have two bolt-in X-pipe options for the C7 w/NPP: Corsa & Borla. Is the NPP piping diameter a full 3"? I'm just trying to figure out if Corsa's 3" piping is even advantageous over Borla's 2.75" considering the $200 price difference.
I now have done the Corsa x pipe and that made the sound better, but still not good enough. I changed the mufflers to BB mufflers which come from LG industries (spelling) of which Corsa is a subsidiary. The BB mufflers don't have the baffles anymore but they still have the alternate fuel valves in the system. Pretty loud now and can't be toned down in any mode. Personally I would like it louder but except going to straight pipes I think that's it. Borda is more expensive but to the videos I have heard is not any louder than Corsa but I believe more expensive. BB mufflers are cheaper than Corsa's mufflers.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM
toddjulia
4th Gear

Default magna flow /corsa

why do I not read near as much about magna flow vs corsa ? is one better for vettes than the other C7 2014 stingray exhaust?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by toddjulia
why do I not read near as much about magna flow vs corsa ? is one better for vettes than the other C7 2014 stingray exhaust?
From what I'm seeing, Magnaflow only makes axle-backs for the C7 at this point (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kracka
From what I'm seeing, Magnaflow only makes axle-backs for the C7 at this point (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Never heard of Magnaflow.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 PM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by culpeperbob
I now have done the Corsa x pipe and that made the sound better, but still not good enough. I changed the mufflers to BB mufflers which come from LG industries (spelling) of which Corsa is a subsidiary. The BB mufflers don't have the baffles anymore but they still have the alternate fuel valves in the system. Pretty loud now and can't be toned down in any mode. Personally I would like it louder but except going to straight pipes I think that's it. Borda is more expensive but to the videos I have heard is not any louder than Corsa but I believe more expensive. BB mufflers are cheaper than Corsa's mufflers.
curious where the extra volume from replacing mufflers comes from...? As I understand, opening the valves in the NPP makes it essentially straight through. Is this not the case? If it is the case though, how would a different set make a worth while difference? I can imagine if they smoothed out the flow path or maybe increase the diameter you may pick up a few decibels, but a big difference?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VetteLT4
curious where the extra volume from replacing mufflers comes from...? As I understand, opening the valves in the NPP makes it essentially straight through. Is this not the case? If it is the case though, how would a different set make a worth while difference? I can imagine if they smoothed out the flow path or maybe increase the diameter you may pick up a few decibels, but a big difference?
No. I NPP valves open up after the mufflers and only on two exhaust tips on each side of each muffler. Changing the mufflers gets rid of the NPP valves and the mufflers are more free flowing which creates a louder noise. I think the sound is a lot louder than the NPP system.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:41 AM
TDH
Instructor

I don't know if anyone will value my opinion or not, but I have always loved to have a nice rumble in all of my cars. I have ran everything from long tubes with an offroad no cat exhaust without mufflers to a 4" dual race muffler on heavily modded cars.

My car came with the NPP and I found it severely lacking, but did not want to go through the expense of changing the exhaust. I initially bought the Corsa pipe and I have been extremely disappointed with it from an increase in volume standpoint. It might have changed the tone some, but I don't think the volume change at all. I found it to be very disappointing.

I recently pulled the NPP and put a B&B Fusion Gen III on the car and am relatively happy with it other than the fact I think the NPP exhaust tips looked better and might eventually chop the tips and reweld new ones.

I am adding the mid-length ARH headers with cats next week so the only cats on the car will be the ARH freer flowing and I expect the car will be significantly louder.

I'm pushing the edge of how far you can go with bolt ons and not tuning the engine light for the 02 sensors out. I personally would say if your car is to make the car louder and sound better that the Corsa alone might not be worth it and you should probably hear a car in person before you drop the cash.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Please post your results as I am in the same position as you. I need more volume and the mid lengths I am hoping is the ticket.

Originally Posted by TDH
I don't know if anyone will value my opinion or not, but I have always loved to have a nice rumble in all of my cars. I have ran everything from long tubes with an offroad no cat exhaust without mufflers to a 4" dual race muffler on heavily modded cars.

My car came with the NPP and I found it severely lacking, but did not want to go through the expense of changing the exhaust. I initially bought the Corsa pipe and I have been extremely disappointed with it from an increase in volume standpoint. It might have changed the tone some, but I don't think the volume change at all. I found it to be very disappointing.

I recently pulled the NPP and put a B&B Fusion Gen III on the car and am relatively happy with it other than the fact I think the NPP exhaust tips looked better and might eventually chop the tips and reweld new ones.

I am adding the mid-length ARH headers with cats next week so the only cats on the car will be the ARH freer flowing and I expect the car will be significantly louder.

I'm pushing the edge of how far you can go with bolt ons and not tuning the engine light for the 02 sensors out. I personally would say if your car is to make the car louder and sound better that the Corsa alone might not be worth it and you should probably hear a car in person before you drop the cash.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
TDH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt26
Please post your results as I am in the same position as you. I need more volume and the mid lengths I am hoping is the ticket.
I have the ARH mid-length on. I still need to recheck (retorque some bolts) and I need to turn the cat pipe on the passenger side as it has a small vibration where I think the clamp might be touching the tunnel under torque and causing a small vibration.

Initial impression is that in addition to a nice jump in power, the car sounds significantly louder. I cranked it inside the garage for my dad's nurse who wanted to take a ride in the car and it actually scared her. One of my cousin's who heard it over Christmas actually ranked it directly behind the 427 C5 and 427 Gen 3 Camaro's I owned which were nearly track only cars.

There is definitely some resonance and drone with the car if you let the car drop to 4 cylinders with it in sport. I ran the car in eco and weather mode and most of the drone was gone. Touring and Eco tone it down enough that my neighbors don't despise me, but one of them did ask me what I changed on my exhaust so it's noticeable to them as well. I rarely used touring at all prior to this swap, so I guess if they can hear it with the valves closed/partially closed the volume increased as much as I think it did.

I would definitely do it over again. The install wasn't terrible, of course other than getting the passenger side rear spark plug out. I did have full lift access though and would not have wanted to do them on jack stands in the driveway like I did my B&B.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Here is some additional infomation on the stock, Borla, & Corsa X-pipes for the C7 that I've been working up...hope at least a few of you find it useful!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-vs-corsa.html

Last edited by Kracka; 01-10-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:27 AM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

Stock NPP and corsa x pipe

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa X Pipe and stock NPP

Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm strongly considering doing this. I know that getting rid of the secondary cats won't throw any cel but would it affect emissions testing? I'm in ny state.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kayir
I'm strongly considering doing this. I know that getting rid of the secondary cats won't throw any cel but would it affect emissions testing? I'm in ny state.
Like for a tailpipe sniffer test? My guess is nobody has tried it yet, but I'd be willing to bet you'd still pass as the exhaust is still passing through the two larger main cats.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

No before video but, here is mine in Sport mode with a Corsa double helix installed, stock NPP. I am using a GoPro 4 and then a Rode mic mounted on the rear bumper.

The sound in the video cuts out twice in some parts - eitehr a Youtube processing issue when I posted the video or something with the GoPro Studio editing software.

Next step for me is either a Borla Atak or Billy Boat Fusion.
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (06-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Corsa X Pipe and stock NPP