C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Oh holy crap! And that's not the start to a famous Christmas carol either!

What kind of driving do you generally do? I'm old and gentle. I rarely nail it to WOT. I drove my first 500 miles under the total limits of the break-in requirement. I made a couple of short 2 hour trips to Titusville and did not notice any oil issues (Though it make have been building up to the point of the oil deluge). My trip to Cincinnati was 12 hours of straight driving and I was well past the 500 mile break-in period prior to the trip. I cruised at 79 MPH on cruise control. The trip was run in ECO mode. When I pulled in to my son's garage in Cincinnati, I was leaving a trail of oil up his driveway. I had a oil purge under the air box the size of a large pizza pan. After I cleaned everything up, I set the oil level to mid hash and drove it back to Jacksonville.

I drove back, had the dealer do a full cleaning of the intake plumbing, July~14, and when he removed the plastic air bellows, more oil poured out. I marked that up to me not cleaning it out completely. Last week (September 24th) I pulled off the intake plumbing for an inspection. I did NOT find any oil or even a trace of oil. It was clean as a whistle in there and would almost have passed a white glove inspection.

As it sits now, I conclude the oil level to be the issue but your statement of "bottom of the hash marks and still puking oil" is horrid. If you are having problems, we need to compare driving habits.

Long drives of steady speed?
Quick starts?
Racing around pylons?
Drag Strip?
Hot temperatures?
City Driving in traffic?

It sure sounds as though we are fighting an engineering issue but I'm not sure what.

Elmer
I followed the break in to the letter. It has the colors on the speedo you can due till it hits 500 miles. The problem is the blower making
pressure causes it to mist oil from the intake out the BOV.
I'm returning it all to totally all stock and trading it in. Hope fully when it goes back to stock it will stop. Either way not my problem once it's traded in. All z51 owners should check. Black outlets on your mufflers are another clue.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

For what it's worth, I had this issue once with my 2014 Z51. The dealer changed the air filter and the oil, filling it correctly. ( I suspect that it was overfilled when prepped for sale)
They didn't do that great a job cleaning the throttle body and intake tubing, so I did it myself with Simple Green. I wanted it squeeky clean so that I could detect any further problems. That was several thousand miles ago & no issues.
I drive normally around town, but autocross my car at least once a month. It is not unusual to bounce it off the rev limiter multiple times while getting used to a new track. I generally check the intake after each event. So far, no issues.
Careful attention to the oil level seems to have solved the problem for me.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Black outlets on your mufflers are another clue.
I think you are right.

Mine was over-filled and found oil inside the bellows. I recall the exhaust tips had a significant amount of soot.

I changed the oil and kept the level below the half way on the checked area and the soot problem appears to be gone.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if this affects the 2015 Z51s?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Anyone know if this affects the 2015 Z51s?
I hope not. My level is at the top of the hash marks. Have not had an issue yet. I know that GM has changed the oil fill from 10.3 qts to 9.8 qts for 2015.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

When I got my car the hot mark was way above the hash marks, did a normal break in, never found any oil in the air intake but I did find oil from the valley pan behind the TB.

Every time I checked the oil the mark was in a different place so I did a run and waited 20 minutes it was well above the hash marks for the 1500 miles.

I didn't want to have a coking problem later on, I installed an elite catch can to help with this know DI problem
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
When I got my car the hot mark was way above the hash marks, did a normal break in, never found any oil in the air intake but I did find oil from the valley pan behind the TB.

Every time I checked the oil the mark was in a different place so I did a run and waited 20 minutes it was well above the hash marks for the 1500 miles.

I didn't want to have a coking problem later on, I installed an elite catch can to help with this know DI problem
You might be waiting too long to check the level. Since you say you waited, I'm going to assume you have a Z51. This is the information in the owner's manual on how to check the oil:
If the engine has been running recently, turn off the engine and check within five and 10 minutes of shutoff. Checking the oil level too soon after engine shutoff will not provide an accurate oil level reading.
20 minutes would let the oil drain down and read lower thus you might have the tendency to add oil to the top of the hash. That might be an overfill. I let it sit for 10 minutes and then measure. I also keep the level midway on the hash mark area. I have not had any repeat oil puking since I got the oil down to a "good" level.

Elmer
Old 10-19-2014, 01:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

This is no doubt a common problem.
It is defect that GM let get by them. I rerouted my lines to try stop the problem and made a post and about 10 plus people are pming me.

This direct injection and the new 1lt engine have many unknowns
that may/will show with more miles.

The oil injesting that the Z51 does is going shorten the life of the 1lt.

This engine sucks plain and simple GM needs to do a recall!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

You are way over reacting. Direct injection is NOT new to the industry. Mine had oil in the bellows but after dropping the oil level below halfway in the normal range, problem disappeared.

If you believe it's that serious an issue, ask GM directly to issue a recall. Let us know their response.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Skip Hosler
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil mess

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Is there a method and procedure on how to properly clean up when an oil over fill floods the intake from the Z51 problem? Cleaning it out and replacing the air filter is all that was done on my car. How about the PCV valve, hoses, other stuff?

Any documentation running around that says if you get the oil explosion, these things need to be checked and/or replaced?

Elmer
My Z51 has done the same since I got it from the NCM delivery. I've cleaned it about 3 times. I have let it go below the add 1 qt mark and it seems to have stopped. I have a road right by my house that a can hit 1 G in the corners. I go do that, then pull the intake out,check it to see whats there. Clean it out with alcohol if needed. Also, only the right line has oil in it. The left one is always perfectly clean. I just flush the line with alcohol. Let it all dry. The first time i did it, I poured 1/2 cup out of the intake. Its due an oil change here shortly. I will check it again this weekend. 15 minute job, out and in. You get used to it. Almost 7000 miles on it. If it doesn't stop after 10,000 miles, we have a problem. What about the corvette driving schools? They have to be aware of this.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM
cbranch27
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
This is no doubt a common problem.
It is defect that GM let get by them. I rerouted my lines to try stop the problem and made a post and about 10 plus people are pming me.

This direct injection and the new 1lt engine have many unknowns
that may/will show with more miles.

The oil injesting that the Z51 does is going shorten the life of the 1lt.

This engine sucks plain and simple GM needs to do a recall!
I agree with you. I took delivery of my 3lt z51 at the museum on March 7, 2014 . I have 5800 miles and just developed an oil leak- a puddle a day.
The dealer showed me the GM bulletin about "aggressive driving and low mileage". That is so much BS and totally unacceptable. If it happens again in the near future, I will hire an attorney, have them admit their engineering mistake and take the car back for a full refund. I know some of you will say I am wasting my time. We will see.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Skip Hosler
My Z51 has done the same since I got it from the NCM delivery. I've cleaned it about 3 times. I have let it go below the add 1 qt mark and it seems to have stopped. I have a road right by my house that a can hit 1 G in the corners. I go do that, then pull the intake out,check it to see whats there. Clean it out with alcohol if needed. Also, only the right line has oil in it. The left one is always perfectly clean. I just flush the line with alcohol. Let it all dry. The first time i did it, I poured 1/2 cup out of the intake. Its due an oil change here shortly. I will check it again this weekend. 15 minute job, out and in. You get used to it. Almost 7000 miles on it. If it doesn't stop after 10,000 miles, we have a problem. What about the corvette driving schools? They have to be aware of this.
You need to follow ESC instruction from their website and do the fix esp since it just the right side. About 5 minutes and a razor very easy.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?