C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:54 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,818 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?

Is there a method and procedure on how to properly clean up when an oil over fill floods the intake from the Z51 problem? Cleaning it out and replacing the air filter is all that was done on my car. How about the PCV valve, hoses, other stuff?

Any documentation running around that says if you get the oil explosion, these things need to be checked and/or replaced?

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-09-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Is there a method and procedure on how to properly clean up when an oil over fill floods the intake from the Z51 problem? Cleaning it out and replacing the air filter is all that was done on my car. How about the PCV valve, hoses, other stuff?

Any documentation running around that says if you get the oil explosion, these things need to be checked and/or replaced?

Elmer
Good question. Maybe GM has published something.

Since the area is after the MAF, whatever chemicals used won't damage it.

After pulling the intake off, I would spray it with Simple Green or diluted Dawn dish washing liquid.

You could also rinse out the PCV lines and remove the throttle body and reach in with rag to mop up oil in the intake. I don't recommend a paper towel because a piece could break off.

You could use Mineral spirits also then follow up with Simple Green or Dawn. Rinse well with water and let dry.

Last edited by RussM05; 09-09-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Well, I've searched and found nothing that lists a "Do this for oil gushers" by GM. I suspicion that I need a new PCV and I might get that Elite separator that replaces the reservoir cap. I still see a trace of oil coming out of my reservoir area.

Crap...

Elmer
Old 09-11-2014, 05:32 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I've searched and found nothing that lists a "Do this for oil gushers" by GM. I suspicion that I need a new PCV and I might get that Elite separator that replaces the reservoir cap. I still see a trace of oil coming out of my reservoir area.

Crap...
Elmer

Go to this thread in this forumfor further information
c7-z51-with-oil-coming-out-the-air-intake

Last edited by AWOL; 09-11-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Trying to add link but could not figure it out
Old 09-11-2014, 07:27 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by AWOL
Go to this thread in this forumfor further information
c7-z51-with-oil-coming-out-the-air-intake
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-intake.html

Thanks, I saw that TSB. It doesn't mention the PCV valve. Tubes and all the other parts but not the valve.

Elmer
Old 09-11-2014, 10:56 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would replace the valve if i had the issue.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-intake.html

Thanks, I saw that TSB. It doesn't mention the PCV valve. Tubes and all the other parts but not the valve.

Elmer
There is no PCV valve. It has been replaced by a fixed orifice in the valley cover of the engine. This orifice is something in the order of 1/8".

At high RPM the blow by exceeds the capability of this orifice, and allows the excess pressure to flow back through the clean air side of the PCV system.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 09-11-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
There is no PCV valve. It has been replaced by a fixed orifice in the valley cover of the engine. This orifice is something in the order of 1/8".

At high RPM the blow by exceeds the capability of this orifice, and allows the excess pressure to flow back through the clean air side of the PCV system.

Ed
Well, that would certainly explain why I can't find one of the little bastards on the plumbing!

Thankya,

Elmer
Old 09-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

See attached for Chevy's revised TSB.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB - oil leak.pdf (329.3 KB, 347 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by Kracka
See attached for Chevy's revised TSB.
Reading that, they seem to insinuate the the owner is the cause of the overfilling. Um... Not to be an *** but the level of the oil is what I brought home from the dealer. I was talking to my salesman yesterday and it seems the oil guy was filling the cars cold with oil. Oooooooops, that sucks!

The TSB also suggests I was driving aggressively with low mileage on the car. Ummmmm NFW! I nursed the damn thing for 500 miles and I still hadn't gone WOT and it flooded the airbox. I had the cruise control set to 79, in ECO and drove to Cincinnati. When I pulled in to my sons garage it puked oil on the floor of the garage. Hell, we found some coming up his driveway. The oil level was sitting at the top of the hashmarks. Funny that being the case even after filling up most of the air intake system with standing oil!

Elmer
Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I'm thinking dry-sump was not a good idea for a mainstream car for this very reason; most tech don't have a clue how to properly check it, or if they do, they just don't take the time to do it right. I would have been fine had Chevy gone with a traditional wet-sump on the Z51 since I'm not a hardcore track junkie (maybe it should be an option on top of the Z51 package?).
Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'm thinking dry-sump was not a good idea for a mainstream car for this very reason; most tech don't have a clue how to properly check it, or if they do, they just don't take the time to do it right. I would have been fine had Chevy gone with a traditional wet-sump on the Z51 since I'm not a hardcore track junkie (maybe it should be an option on top of the Z51 package?).
I see your point, but the Z51 package is a track oriented package.

The RPO ZF1 is available for those who just want the appearance options. I know it was a late introduction package, but it does fill the need that you are asking for.

Ed
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Yellow

Ed
Good to know, thanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 PM
C7Muscle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2014 z51 to the track for the first time. After a couple of runs I noticed oil leaking from the car. My track day was cut short. Found oil in the air induction hose and all over the chassis hose etc. Like someone had poured a quart of oil over the front engine compartment. Dealer just followed the Chevy bulletin and replaced the air filter and cleaned up the oil stating that Aggressive driving at low miles can cause this problem. But my car has 4700 miles and I babied it through break in of 1500 miles. Definite design defect here. I will be bringing back to dealer for service until resolved. Hate to think what harm may result to engine from this issue.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by C7Muscle
I took my 2014 z51 to the track for the first time. After a couple of runs I noticed oil leaking from the car. My track day was cut short. Found oil in the air induction hose and all over the chassis hose etc. Like someone had poured a quart of oil over the front engine compartment. Dealer just followed the Chevy bulletin and replaced the air filter and cleaned up the oil stating that Aggressive driving at low miles can cause this problem. But my car has 4700 miles and I babied it through break in of 1500 miles. Definite design defect here. I will be bringing back to dealer for service until resolved. Hate to think what harm may result to engine from this issue.

What is your oil level now? If you have the oil higher than mid hash marks, you have too much oil. If the oil is at the top of the hash mark, you have too much oil. Siphon or drain the oil down to the middle of the hash marks.

Elmer
Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Muscle
Same issue my car has had since day 1. When the air bellow was pulled off the bone stock car to install the blower kit. It had a good 1/2 cup of oil inside.

I have about 7700 miles and have cleaned it out many times.
I'm returning it to stock. Then decide what to do.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

What is your oil level now? If you have the oil higher than mid hash marks, you have too much oil. If the oil is at the top of the hash mark, you have too much oil. Siphon or drain the oil down to the middle of the hash marks.

Elmer
Mine still does when it's at the add 1 qt mark!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Elmer
Yes it all needs to cleaned. I got a message from someone with experience that it all needs to really cleaned out well or the oil causes detination which cause's more oil to suck out. They said to add octane boost. This problem is bigger than being admitted to.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Mine still does when it's at the add 1 qt mark!
Oh holy crap! And that's not the start to a famous Christmas carol either!

What kind of driving do you generally do? I'm old and gentle. I rarely nail it to WOT. I drove my first 500 miles under the total limits of the break-in requirement. I made a couple of short 2 hour trips to Titusville and did not notice any oil issues (Though it make have been building up to the point of the oil deluge). My trip to Cincinnati was 12 hours of straight driving and I was well past the 500 mile break-in period prior to the trip. I cruised at 79 MPH on cruise control. The trip was run in ECO mode. When I pulled in to my son's garage in Cincinnati, I was leaving a trail of oil up his driveway. I had a oil purge under the air box the size of a large pizza pan. After I cleaned everything up, I set the oil level to mid hash and drove it back to Jacksonville.

I drove back, had the dealer do a full cleaning of the intake plumbing, July~14, and when he removed the plastic air bellows, more oil poured out. I marked that up to me not cleaning it out completely. Last week (September 24th) I pulled off the intake plumbing for an inspection. I did NOT find any oil or even a trace of oil. It was clean as a whistle in there and would almost have passed a white glove inspection.

As it sits now, I conclude the oil level to be the issue but your statement of "bottom of the hash marks and still puking oil" is horrid. If you are having problems, we need to compare driving habits.

Long drives of steady speed?
Quick starts?
Racing around pylons?
Drag Strip?
Hot temperatures?
City Driving in traffic?

It sure sounds as though we are fighting an engineering issue but I'm not sure what.

Elmer
Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The dealer told me they spoke with the Area Rep and were told - wait for it - it's normal.

Maybe the EPA needs to get involved over the dumping of motor oil on highways and parking areas. Maybe we'll all be required to get a hazardous waste permit to drive our cars.

GM really screwed the pooch on this.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill on Z51 M&Ps on cleanup?