C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 heads/cam vs. C7 Procharged at the track, video!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
For the clueless!
When you change the cam and add to the top end you give some bottom end also!

Unless your adding displacement then the MPG goes to hell!
Reason GM goes Supercharged for big power!
Lesson over!
Did you ever notice that everyone in every thread disagrees with everything you say and you never provide any real information at all?

Ignorance is bliss and you are one of the happiest people I have ever seen. Yours is a sad situation. I will pray for you.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Translator
One important notation. Most of the graphs that I have seen for LT1 NA with stock displacement heads/cam set-ups also have a linear torque curve, similar to a centrifugal supercharger. The only really flat torque curve that I have seen on the LT1 are the dyno graphs with the Edelbrock E-Force roots blower. Not as much top end as a centrifugal, but a flatter torque curve for certain.
you may be confusing the terms linear and flat.....

how can you have a flat curve?

a positive displacement blower like the E Force vs a centri power delivery is like this:
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

a positive displacement blower like the E Force vs a centri power delivery is like this:
an NA motor like the LT1 has a power delivery much more like the PD blower (but less power)

an NA motor like a high revving small displacement honda makes power more like the Centri
Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^Higgs, maybe I did not come across as intended, but I did mean what I said. I have not seen any all NA heads/cam LT1's with a FLAT torque curve like the one that you manually drew on the previous page The only really flat torque curves that I have seen, have been the ones with the E-FORCE roots blower (specifically relating to the LT1). From the graphs that I have seen, the power delivery of heads/cam LT1's behave more like the curves from a centrifugal blower; with a more linear style of power delivery, versus flat. At least, that is my definition of linear/flat, when comparing TQ curves from a positive style displacement blower with a centrifugal; like the Whipple curve that you posted.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Ya, but this doesn't realistically display the power curve at all, it shows a boost curve.

RPM is horsepower's best friend, and if you're making 8 psi @ 2000 rpm, you're not making 100 more horsepower than an NA car @ 2000 rpm. HP increases most drastically with rpm, not boost level.

Both your chart examples are heavily exaggerated.

Last edited by C7pimp; 09-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Translator
^^^Higgs, maybe I did not come across as intended, but I did mean what I said. I have not seen any all NA heads/cam LT1's with a FLAT torque curve like the one that you manually drew on the previous page The only really flat torque curves that I have seen, have been the ones with the E-FORCE roots blower (specifically relating to the LT1). From the graphs that I have seen, the power delivery of heads/cam LT1's behave more like the curves from a centrifugal blower; with a more linear style of power delivery, versus flat. At least, that is my definition of linear/flat, when comparing TQ curves from a positive style displacement blower with a centrifugal; like the Whipple curve that you posted.
Originally Posted by C7pimp
Ya, but this doesn't realistically display the power curve at all, it shows a boost curve.

RPM is horsepower's best friend, and if you're making 8 psi @ 2000 rpm, you're not making 100 more horsepower than an NA car @ 2000 rpm. HP increases most drastically with rpm, not boost level.

Both your chart examples are heavily exaggerated.
yes of course they are exaggerated, I was illustrating a concept, not giving an example.

I can personally attest to the concept myself as well. It is commonly referred to as Area Under the Curve.

I had a naturally aspirated 01 Z06 with motor work (490 rwhp) and ran on several occasions centrifugal powered LSx machines and flat out pulled them on the highway.

Needless to say, they thought I was spraying....however, no bottle in car anywhere! To make extra special extreme note, a nitrous car that makes 600 whp is going to torture and kill a 600 whp centri car.

It's a real thing. No question.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 09-11-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: (edited to add HP figure)
Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksTuning
One of the most popular questions we get in the performance shop business is, "Should I go heads/cam, or should I go boost?". And it's always a great debate! With boost it's easy to make a bigger number on the dyno, but will it perform better? I always tell people you need about 100 HP more on boost than an all motor car. And this video basically proves that to be right! It's a dead even race, but my 542 rwhp heads/cam in the left lane vs. Jeff Tomi's (Tech369) 600 rwhp in the right lane sure shows you what a great comparison it can be.

Never under-estimate all motor power! We're in the ordering parts stages of building a 460 ci shortblock for my car. Will be a couple months before it's done, but it should be pretty fun/interesting!

Although let me say this, even though this is a great comparison of heads/cam vs. supercharged... there's no comparison to having BOTH lol just throwing that out there :P lol

Until next time, enjoy the video.

Chuck @ Chucks Tuning
chuckstuning@gmail.com
832-202-4115 (main)
832-776-0099 (direct)

C7 Heads/Cam vs. C7 Procharger! - YouTube
I think you need more than heads and cam. To keep up with Your 123mph trap tells the story.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 PM
TAK2TRK
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

yes of course they are exaggerated, I was illustrating a concept, not giving an example.

I can personally attest to the concept myself as well. It is commonly referred to as Area Under the Curve.

I had a naturally aspirated 01 Z06 with motor work (490 rwhp) and ran on several occasions centrifugal powered LSx machines and flat out pulled them on the highway.

Needless to say, they thought I was spraying....however, no bottle in car anywhere! To make extra special extreme note, a nitrous car that makes 600 whp is going to torture and kill a 600 whp centri car.

It's a real thing. No question.

Maybe I can help break this down a in a way that others can digest. I'll keep things as general as possible.

Power integrated over time = Work [And generally speaking--the car who can perform the most work wins.]

Cars do not make the same power at all engine speeds (RPMs).

So to determine what car is faster we cannot only look at peak power, but we need to look at the time spent at each power level.

This is visualized in the simplistic graphs already posted in this thread.

We can also approximate this by looking at the average power over time.

A car that makes less peak power can be faster if it can do more work.
That situation happens when Car 1's (lower peak) average power exceeds the average power of Car 2 (higher peak) over a given time.

Also remember that the cars' power is transferred through the transmission--that usually consists of more than one gear.

Here is an example with a few assumptions for simplicity:
Assume for Car 1 and Car 2 that each start in 1st gear at RPM X and end at RPM Y.

Car 1 makes 50 "hp" at X and 100 at Y (Lower Peak Power).
Car 2 makes 20 "hp" at X and 110 at Y (Higher Peak Power).

The simplistic model shows that Car 1 averages (50+100)/2= 75
And car 2 averages (20+110)/2= 65
In a race between the two, Car 1 wins because it was able to do more work over a given period of time.
[*If you assume they took the same time, Car 1 is moving faster and thus necessarily would have different gearing in the above example. If you assume they have the same gears, Car 1 would take less time to get from RPM X to RPM Y.*]

Now, because cars spend less time in lower RPMs in gears 2-X, higher peak power cars do better in gears 2+ than off the line. And this is why peak HP is a good overall indicator. Ideally, you want to run closer gear ratios as your power curve increases in slope in an attempt to put down more power.

So in addition to dyno charts, you would want to know gearing, shift points, and how fast the motor can change RPM (how fast it can rev) to get the entire picture.

I have hopefully explained why looking at peak power, or even a dyno charts alone, only paints part of the picture. Just let me know if anything is unclear.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Chuck,

Not to hijack thread, but I noticed in previous post the car made 525 with the cam. I was looking forward to what the heads would add. Is this the same car with the addition of those new heads?

If so, 12 more HP seems a little low. Can you please comment. What was the chamber volume of the new heads vs old heads. Maybe you lost some compression.

Or maybe...the old heads are good enough for stock CI and stock compression.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Sgoochds650
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I haven't seen anyone bring up was the ability to put the power to the ground on one setup vs the other. My thoughts was as the rpm/boost/power climbs Ill have a slightly better chance to hook with the centri than if I were to have built a nitrous car. I'm sure with progressive controllers and such the hit of the bottle could be tamed down where the car wouldn't smash the tires quite so bad on the street but without it seems like it would be tough.

On that note I'm still trying to figure out which tire is going on my factory Z-51 wheels for my M7 416 ECS 1500 car....... I'll keep reading everyone's tire posts and hope for the best!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have some real world experience in this matter. I have a SC'd M3 that makes higher peak HP than my new C7 Corvette, but it only makes 378 ft/lbs of torque and has a centri supercharger.

The notion of the car's ability to make work is dead on. The Corvette with it's flat torque curve pulls away from the M3 in ever instance, on the track it is the same notion the Corvette with it's NA torque curve is getting the car up to speed much more quickly than the peaky CF supercharger in the M3.

I routinely race with cars like C5 and C6 Corvette's and Road America and the NA motors lay waste to my M3.

I would take a NA motor anyday at the race track, largely because it also doesn't heat soak as easily either.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
0ChucksTuning
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1
I have some real world experience in this matter. I have a SC'd M3 that makes higher peak HP than my new C7 Corvette, but it only makes 378 ft/lbs of torque and has a centri supercharger.

The notion of the car's ability to make work is dead on. The Corvette with it's flat torque curve pulls away from the M3 in ever instance, on the track it is the same notion the Corvette with it's NA torque curve is getting the car up to speed much more quickly than the peaky CF supercharger in the M3.

I routinely race with cars like C5 and C6 Corvette's and Road America and the NA motors lay waste to my M3.

I would take a NA motor anyday at the race track, largely because it also doesn't heat soak as easily either.
Bingo spaghetti-o.

As a tuner you see it all the time, but the internet only gets to see the best dyno run a car made (hey, it's advertising). But anyone who tunes will tell you that heat in a boosted car will take 600 rwhp down to 520-530 in a heart beat. And if tuned correctly, IAT timing corrections will add to this effect.

So at the end of the day, you aren't comparing apples to apples, you're comparing usable HP vs. usable HP.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 PM
0ChucksTuning
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by randyn
Hey Chuck,

Not to hijack thread, but I noticed in previous post the car made 525 with the cam. I was looking forward to what the heads would add. Is this the same car with the addition of those new heads?

If so, 12 more HP seems a little low. Can you please comment. What was the chamber volume of the new heads vs old heads. Maybe you lost some compression.

Or maybe...the old heads are good enough for stock CI and stock compression.

Thanks
Went from 525 to 542. The stock heads are just so huge from the factory most shops are finding that there is little to nothing to be gained from porting the heads. Have heard reports of some shops losing power. Hoping the 460ci shortblock we're building will put my heads to use a little better.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:59 PM
0ChucksTuning
Former Vendor

for the visual learners
Here Higgs, we don't need a drawing.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 PM
0ChucksTuning
Former Vendor

Here's a different angle, you all can be the judge. (skip to the 2:10 mark in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43R...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChucksTuning
Here Higgs, we don't need a drawing.
Here's 8 psi for comparison.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Has more low end as well as top! 450 rwtq at 3000
Flatter curve. See Higgs your cartoons are for the little kids. Not adults.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-14-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 heads/cam vs. C7 Procharged at the track, video!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Lets see the Procharged car dyno.
It may be less or the same as your car.

In that case your higher RPM would help
Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

What was the MPH between the two?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

This entire thread is ridiculous.

It was a roll race. There is nothing to compare!! The car on the left was ahead to begin and got the jump anyways. Who knows if the car on the right had traction.

Point is nobody knows **** about what happened.

As, NoOne asked for MPH. If it was a real 1/4 mile from a light you would to just compare traps and this thread would be done.

Chuck you know this...you must be laughing at this stupid thread because you started a pissing match.

Have fun arguing about "Flat versus peak" curves when you don't even mention gear ratio in your argument.

Thanks for the confirmation Chuck about the stock heads, I'm sure that 460" motor will make better use of your ported heads of them. Or, a stock ci motor with a few additional points of compression and 2000 additional RPM.

have fun arguing!

Quick Reply: C7 heads/cam vs. C7 Procharged at the track, video!