C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe vs ported throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 PM
jhninkin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default X-pipe vs ported throttle body

I'm looking to to get a cheap upgrade for my C7 and was curious which one of these would be a better upgrade for the money. I was looking at the corsa x-pipe that gets rid of the secondary cats or just getting my throttle body ported. I already have the afe intake and don't have the money too much into it. ANy inout on this would help thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 PM
ect
Advanced

The ported thottle body in my opinion is a waste of money
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

If you are looking for the most bang for the buck, the Diablo tune is your best bet. If you are concern about warranty and don't want to risk the slight chance that dealer can detect it (do a search and form your own conclusion on this one), then I'd recommend the ported TB over x-pipe. Neither one will yield meaningful gain without a tune, but the ported TB is much cheaper (I think JJFormato charges $150 with core exchange) and much easier to install.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 AM
jhninkin
Intermediate

Thanks, I am worried about the warranty, at least until I'm done with school. Until then I'm just adding little thing here and there. I plan on getting headers and borla atak next year sometime, but for now just small things.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

If you're ultra concerned about warranty then the Diablo InTune is your best bet since it's not an actual replacement hard part and once unmarried from the ECU it's completely undetectable.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:26 PM
killascrimp
Racer

x2. Get the tuner. You shouldn't be worried about the warranty. Took mine in 4 times no issues what so ever... and you can tell the difference in hp. Way better than Ported TB...JMO
Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Best bang for the buck right now is "Ported TB, Ported Intake, Drop in air filter, Tune". All that for under 800$, and you will trap over 120mph
Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kracka
If you're ultra concerned about warranty then the Diablo InTune is your best bet since it's not an actual replacement hard part and once unmarried from the ECU it's completely undetectable.
It can be detected if GM does a DNA search of your computer which in an expensive warranty issue they will surly do.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you got some pretty bad advice here, if you tune your car - regardless with what device - it will be detectable by GM if they want to find out. For example In the case you blew your engine, they will look for signs of tuning/ modification and void your warrantee...
Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

You can do a search for other posts I made. My car was a beta for Corsa. On the dyno the X pipe pulled up almost 10 HP once the computers on the car recognized it.

Following a custom tune we ended up with 26 HP increase.

My tuner who I really respect say absolutely GM can detect a custom tune and ANYTIME the car is operating out of specs. Even if I towed it back to him and he reflashed it GM can still pull history which he cannot erase.

BUT hoping I never need to find out...... first he does not do radical tunes to his customers cars. He leaves some HP on the table. Second he has relationships with several local Chevy shops and CLAIMS they respect and understand his work.......... and IF there was a problem he has been told they will make the decision to cover the warranty.

Frankly for most of us not sure it is worth the risk. I track the car wanted the Corsa and went for it.

Get notified of new replies

To X-pipe vs ported throttle body

Quick Reply: X-pipe vs ported throttle body