C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk LT1 with S/C best practices

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Let's talk LT1 with S/C best practices

I have been reading about this subject but have a lot of questions. I am coming from an 800+rwhp C5Z06. I have been reading about the different kits. I have a rebuilt T Trim that I may look to build a kit around.
Although it seems the LT1 is doing pretty good with the 1500 blower.
My goal is to have a squared up build 700/700.

1. What is the "magic" rwhp number that the LT1 can hold before going forged? On the C5's you were safe to 600 and it was widely accepted that over 650rwhp you were rolling the dice.

2. Are headers only hurting the Procharger kits? Which ones for 700 rhwp+ 2" or 1 7/8?

3. Doesn't seem to be much of a power gain porting the heads but what about valves, springs?

4. What if you don't use meth and go E85? Bigger fuel pump?

5.What is the weak link on the LT1, rod bolts, rods, crank, etc? I see the crank is forged but have read that it is not that strong.

6. What evap system? S/C catch can? I have read that the LMR system does not fully address the situation on these motors. What is the best practice here?

I'm assuming that if I want 700+ tq I will need to do a cam swap.

Sorry, this is what happens when you don't have an FI section.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
I have been reading about this subject but have a lot of questions. I am coming from an 800+rwhp C5Z06. I have been reading about the different kits. I have a rebuilt T Trim that I may look to build a kit around.

1. What is the "magic" rwhp number that the LT1 can hold before going forged? On the C5's you were safe to 600 and it was widely accepted that over 650rwhp you were rolling the dice.

2. Are headers only hurting the Procharger kits? Which ones for 700 rhwp+ 2" or 1 7/8?

3. Doesn't seem to be much of a power gain porting the heads but what about valves, springs?

5.What is the weak link on the LT1, rod bolts, rods, crank, etc? I see the crank is forged but have read that it is not that strong.

6. What evap system? S/C catch can? I have read that the LMR system does not fully address the situation on these motors. What is the best practice here?

1. No one knows for sure yet. Stock fuel system is safe around 600whp.

2. Headers never hurt a supercharged combination.

3. Leave the heads alone unless pushing the limits, like over 750 whp

4. Over 600, upgrade fuel system

5. Not enough have popped to say for sure, but seems reasonable to think the pistons will be the weakest.

6. LMR system is probably best on boosted motor. NA motor needs a vacuum pump.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) I've seen ~half dozen LT1s on here making 800-1000 HP on the stock bottom end and heads, all using meth I believe. That said, it's an 11.5 to 1 CR motor with Hypereutectic pistons and I know of at least 3 with busted pistons and several more rumored blown from Hennessy. Draw your own conclusions.

2) From what I've seen it doesn't really matter +/-10 hp.

3) No need to change the springs unless you are changing the cam or revving above 6500. Remove AFM lifters if you do that.

4) The guy I saw doing E85 was using bigger injectors.

5) I have only seen the pistons break, no rods or cranks yet.

6) I like what ECS is doing, removing the check valves and routing the PCV lines upstream of the air filter into the filter box. It's free and gives some but not too much PCV, IMHO.

I would change the cam to have the +32% fuel lobe.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Good info guys. I know it is early on still. I plan on gathering parts this winter.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertf97
1)

6) I like what ECS is doing, removing the check valves and routing the PCV lines upstream of the air filter into the filter box. It's free and gives some but not too much PCV, IMHO.
Would you mind posting a pic if you have one? Are they routing valley cover and both valve covers to the filter box by drilling holes to the intake box? Are the end of the hoses positioned away from the filter so the fume does not get sucked right back into the intake?

I have A&A and their solution is routing valve covers to the pipe between the intake box and head unit. Of course all that does is allowing the nasty fume from valve covers to go through the head unit and force-blown out of the BOV. The oily mess is the least of my concern. The nauseating fume that gets into the cabin is what is killing me. My plan is to route the valve cover hoses to near where the sway bar is and perhaps zip tie them to it. But I am very much intrigued by ECS' solution.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCarrot
Would you mind posting a pic if you have one? Are they routing valley cover and both valve covers to the filter box by drilling holes to the intake box? Are the end of the hoses positioned away from the filter so the fume does not get sucked right back into the intake?

I have A&A and their solution is routing valve covers to the pipe between the intake box and head unit. Of course all that does is allowing the nasty fume from valve covers to go through the head unit and force-blown out of the BOV. The oily mess is the least of my concern. The nauseating fume that gets into the cabin is what is killing me. My plan is to route the valve cover hoses to near where the sway bar is and perhaps zip tie them to it. But I am very much intrigued by ECS' solution.

PM me your email and I'll forward you over instructions. The routing can be done the same for either kit and I have never had anyone complain about fumes.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Reply #10 raises a good question.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bearings.html
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
PM me your email and I'll forward you over instructions. The routing can be done the same for either kit and I have never had anyone complain about fumes.
Woohoo, thank you Doug! PM sent.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCarrot

Being in California I am faced with having to have my systems CARB certified at some point. Unfortunately they would never allow venting to atmosphere. Even the actual hose I will use will have to be certified.
We've changed things around some as we learn more about this platform. I'm shocked at how much oil these things pump in stock trim. A car with 2000 miles has almost a pint of oil in the intake? That's terrible.
I know the dealer has had to replace a couple of motors that hydro-locked when they sucked a bunch of oil in on decell.
The bores in these blocks are about as bad as I've seen as well.
I'm not even sure what kind of machine can make a bore that is tapered from top to bottom and completely out of round. Must be some new fangled thing GM came up with.
Mine made the hone chatter like hell until it was almost .005" over.
At .005" over, it still had a couple of spots that didn't clean up at the bottom of the bore.
C5 and C6 never had oiling problems like this.
I hope they straighten this out.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
Being in California I am faced with having to have my systems CARB certified at some point. Unfortunately they would never allow venting to atmosphere. Even the actual hose I will use will have to be certified.
We've changed things around some as we learn more about this platform. I'm shocked at how much oil these things pump in stock trim. A car with 2000 miles has almost a pint of oil in the intake? That's terrible.
I know the dealer has had to replace a couple of motors that hydro-locked when they sucked a bunch of oil in on decell.
I'm not even sure what kind of machine can make a bore that is tapered from top to bottom and completely out of round. Must be some new fangled thing GM came up with.
At .005" over, it still had a couple of spots that didn't clean up at the bottom of the bore.
Andy, so what is your current venting solution for this issue when installing your SC system?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
Andy, so what is your current venting solution for this issue when installing your SC system?
We run a 5/8" line from the driver side valve cover to the inlet duct.
On the passenger side we run the dry sump vent to a quick connect fitting on the inlet duct BUT we actually plug the fitting. We've found that oil will be pushed out of that dry sump line no matter what you do. The single 5/8" line seems to be enough. It also alleviated the front seal issue by eliminating excessive crankcase pressure.
I've not heard of anyone (else) reporting fumes from the BOV.
I'd love to have this car at my shop to investigate but obviously that won't work due to the distances involved.
C5 and C6 have been vented into the air filter for years without issue.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Not sure on the future. Issues exposed are just beginning. The oil in the intake is hidden from everyone till it is exposed. From some one
taking the intake bellow off. Or it gets so much it actually comes out.

My order for a Z06 and keeping a C7 is getting rethought and a hellcat
is going to get looked at.

This oil issue affect's many many cars 95 percent have no idea!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Not sure on the future. Issues exposed are just beginning. The oil in the intake is hidden from everyone till it is exposed. From some one
taking the intake bellow off. Or it gets so much it actually comes out.

My order for a Z06 and keeping a C7 is getting rethought and a hellcat
is going to get looked at.

This oil issue affect's many many cars 95 percent have no idea!
I don't blame you. If I would have heard about the blocks being out of round and the other issues I would be looking at a Viper.
I'm not sure how comfortable I am supercharging the stock motor. Looks like there could really be some durability issues bone stock!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

I don't blame you. If I would have heard about the blocks being out of round and the other issues I would be looking at a Viper.
I'm not sure how comfortable I am supercharging the stock motor. Looks like there could really be some durability issues bone stock!
When GM 's answer is to the issue is.
When there is a hidden symtom of a huge problem.

A service bulletin to Clean up and release the car without a fix is really bringing me down. Of course the usual blame on the owner "aggressive driving' make me laugh. NO point in even taking mine in. SO GLAD I HAVE Prime examples of GM'S BEST CORVETTE"S EVER!
A ZR1 and a C6 Z06. They have stood the test of time. The lt1 is off to a bad start. Direct injection is still new. Then with the oil issue.
I'm really starting to want no part more than my C7 I have. That I'll be putting it up to go too!

The C7 then has just too much unneeded tech and electronic's and the bugs that are beginning to show. Just like I just bought a friend a newer car after comparing the newer stuff. I wanted GM but it wasn't the best choice. I'm a GM lover but this oiling issue has me thinking twice about anymore.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
Come on up Andy!
I have 53 acre's in a great place In oregon then a beach house just off 5 miles hyway 101 on hwy 20 (both sides)that has city water and sewer. No emissions here. Plus plenty of water.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:47 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When GM 's answer is to the issue is.
When there is a hidden symtom of a huge problem.

A service bulletin to Clean up and release the car without a fix is really bringing me down. Of course the usual blame on the owner "agressive driving' make me laugh. NO point in even taking mine in. SO GLAD I HAVE Prime examples of GM'S BEST CORVETTE"S EVER!
A ZR1 and a C6 Z06. They have stood the test of time. The lt1 is off to a bad start. Direct injection is still new. Then with the oil issue.
I'm really starting to want no part more than my C7 I have. That I'll be putting it up to go too!

The C7 then has just too much unneeded tech and electronic's and the bugs that are beginning to show. Just like I just bought a friend a newer car after comparing the newer stuff. I wanted GM but it wasn't the best choice. I'm a GM lover but this oiling issue has me thinking twice about anymore.
I think the stock PCV system has too much suction. I ran my PCV lines to the airfilter box upstream of the air filter and it hasn't sucked any oil out.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robertf97
I think the stock PCV system has too much suction. I ran my PCV lines to the airfilter box upstream of the air filter and it hasn't sucked any oil out.

The C6's were vented to the filter too. I would try that but the car is going back to stock.
Might just try that before I do. But it is going If I want to get a Z06.
I was out in the ZR1 yesterday and the tire noise which will be there
on the Z06 too is bad. I'm thinking the Ps-2's on the ZR1 are the offender's. Maybe I'm getting old but the quiet is golden. I think the hellcat cabin would be much quieter.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk LT1 with S/C best practices

Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

The C6's were vented to the filter too. I would try that but the car is going back to stock.
Might just try that before I do. But it is going If I want to get a Z06.
I was out in the ZR1 yesterday and the tire noise which will be there
on the Z06 too is bad. I'm thinking the Ps-2's on the ZR1 are the offender's. Maybe I'm getting old but the quiet is golden. I think the hellcat cabin would be much quieter.
rockn, you should look into AMG.....a Chrysler product is not going to help your concerns with luxury qualities like nvh, quiet cabin, etc....plus an E63S will blow your socks off.....the vette and the hellcat (yuck) are a Chevy and a Chrysler.....budget budget budget.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
rockn, you should look into AMG.....a Chrysler product is not going to help your concerns with luxury qualities like nvh, quiet cabin, etc....plus an E63S will blow your socks off.....the vette and the hellcat (yuck) are a Chevy and a Chrysler.....budget budget budget.
The Chrysler/ Dodge that I purchased for a friend down on her luck
Surprized me. For me it was Have you driven a Dodge lately? It beat out several others we test drove in the same class. Including the Cruze and Malibu
and Impala. Then I actually drove it 1600 miles and delivered it! Was a
capable road car that with a great Auto tranny and 31 mpg at 85 mph.

Since it was a total gift I kept the money under 20k!
For a "budget" car it was nice. 10 times more quiet than a Corvette.
I'm assuming the Hell cat would be a large step up! No AMG for me.

I'm thinking a new boat and BMW 1000r bike and just keep my paid for cars!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

The Chrysler/ Dodge that I purchased for a friend down on her luck
Surprized me. For me it was Have you driven a Dodge lately? It beat out several others we test drove in the same class. Including the Cruze and Malibu
and Impala. Then I actually drove it 1600 miles and delivered it! Was a
capable road car that with a great Auto tranny and 31 mpg at 85 mph.

Since it was a total gift I kept the money under 20k!
For a "budget" car it was nice. 10 times more quiet than a Corvette.
I'm assuming the Hell cat would be a large step up! No AMG for me.

I'm thinking a new boat and BMW 1000r bike and just keep my paid for cars!
ain't no hill for a high stepper; the AMG will change your life......better not drive one then, it will follow you home.

Quick Reply: Let's talk LT1 with S/C best practices