C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Went to the track

Wanted to do some baselines before the Procharger

12.64 @ 117 mph 2.15 60 foot. M7, AFE, Diablo, street tires. put it in track mode and nothing else, left the line as I would fro a stop light.

A few things I want to ask for some help with:

1 - fastest run was the first run of the night, but 60 foot sucked. I tried launch control (2.9 60 foot), tried no nannies (2.1 60 foot), and then tried no nannies leaving at 3000 and spun for another 2.2 60 foot

How are people launching on street tires, my launch control sucks - is there something wrong with it?

2 - I missed shifts on 2 out of 4 runs - bad - the mgw shifter is coming thank god, but wow, I hit 5th trying to get into 3rd twice. Is anyone else seeing the same thing with the stock shifter - maybe I'm not being gentle enough...?

Interestingly enough, the car had plenty of bite at the track when I was lined up properly - My car with a 1.8 60 foot would easily be a 12 flat car I think, at least a 12.2....... how are guys leaving the line on street tires and cutting the 1.7 and 1.8's I see on the fast list?

Video here - go to 1:16 to see the start of the race

Last edited by ncrowe; 09-18-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: change time
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM
ncrowe
Racer

This was a run where I spun off the line and missed the 2 to 3 shift, went into 5th, then shifted back into 3rd

Go to 0:35 to see start of race
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Turn off all the nannies, well prepped track (sounds like yours was hit or miss), and don't let off the gas when you shift (and shift faster).
Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 AM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a passenger in the car...
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For shifting, I read somewhere that for the shift to 2nd, have palm facing driver-peddles. Then for 3rd and 4th rotate palm to top, slightly towards the right side of console. This will help you not miss shifts.

I have found it does help, a lot. I saw a chart for this, but can't find it now.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Originally Posted by MrGTC
You have a passenger in the car...
Yes, but she only cost a 10th...LOL - should I have had her get in the trunk to help with weight transfer
Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
For shifting, I read somewhere that for the shift to 2nd, have palm facing driver-peddles. Then for 3rd and 4th rotate palm to top, slightly towards the right side of console. This will help you not miss shifts.

I have found it does help, a lot. I saw a chart for this, but can't find it now.
I get the MGW shifter on Tuesday - hopefully it cures the problem. I would like to see the chart if you find it
Old 09-19-2014, 01:18 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrowe
I get the MGW shifter on Tuesday - hopefully it cures the problem. I would like to see the chart if you find it
When I replace the shifter in my Camaro, it didn't really help, but YMMV
Old 09-19-2014, 01:39 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrowe
Interestingly enough, the car had plenty of bite at the track when I was lined up properly - My car with a 1.8 60 foot would easily be a 12 flat car I think, at least a 12.2....... how are guys leaving the line on street tires and cutting the 1.7 and 1.8's I see on the fast list?
No one with your level of mods and an M7 is pulling a 1.7 60' time on street tires. All the fast list guys doing the great 60's are A6s. 1.9s on the steet tires seem to be good for the M7.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Originally Posted by racerns
No one with your level of mods and an M7 is pulling a 1.7 60' time on street tires. All the fast list guys doing the great 60's are A6s. 1.9s on the steet tires seem to be good for the M7.
Even a 1.9 would be great - still trying to figure out how
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You just need some DRs for the track. My A6 did a 1.555 tonight
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
You just need some DRs for the track. My A6 did a 1.555 tonight
Ben, shoot me a pm with what you would recommend and price to go with it, I'm on the fence, but I need 'em
Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think low 1.9s are likely the best you will be able to muster with street tires. I prefer the challenge of street tires in this regard. The key is finding the balance between clutch slippage without frying it and spinning the tires needlessly.

I'd try more rpms with clutch engagement occurring in the first 4-8 feet. Its a lot of trial and error.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 AM
ncrowe
Racer

Originally Posted by Trash
I think low 1.9s are likely the best you will be able to muster with street tires. I prefer the challenge of street tires in this regard. The key is finding the balance between clutch slippage without frying it and spinning the tires needlessly.

I'd try more rpms with clutch engagement occurring in the first 4-8 feet. Its a lot of trial and error.
Thank you for the advice - I will definitely try that. Can't wait to get back to the track in 2 weeks - I want to see a sub 2.0 60 foot and I'm hoping to see low 12's

Anyone in St Louis want to head out to gateway in 2 weeks for wide open Wednesday?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:33 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The new A6 C7 seems to be more consistent and have much better 60' times on a bone stock car

In your case as it sounds like drag racing may be new to you---You must launch the car by revving it up to 3000 and pop the clutch Keep the traction control ON Without tons of seat time on a manual trans with the TC off you are fighting an uphill battle
A tune will greatly benefit your ET's and 60' times
A stock tune will NOT allow the T-Body to go to wide open until the engine reaches 3200 RPM's So by design it is slow off the line--a tune fixes this
Also by tweaking the TC TQ number up higher you can get a great launch ( just on the edge of spinning) The STOCK TQ max values are very low below 3600 RPM Again a tune will correct this----May take some trial and error to find which TQ value works best with the TC on-- Again with the TC OFF you will roast the tires and have to feather the throttle on the start which is in consistent and not fast
PS: I could NOT get the so called launch control to work either as they explain it
Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by tblu92
The new A6 C7 seems to be more consistent and have much better 60' times on a bone stock car

In your case as it sounds like drag racing may be new to you---You must launch the car by revving it up to 3000 and pop the clutch Keep the traction control ON Without tons of seat time on a manual trans with the TC off you are fighting an uphill battle
A stock tune will NOT allow the T-Body to go to wide open until the engine reaches 3200 RPM's So by design it is slow off the line--a tune fixes this
Also by tweaking the TC TQ number up higher you can get a great launch ( just on the edge of spinning) The STOCK TQ max values are very low below 3600 RPM Again a tune will correct this----May take some trial and error to find which TQ value works best with the TC on-- Again with the TC OFF you will roast the tires and have to feather the throttle on the start which is in consistent and not fast
PS: I could NOT get the so called launch control to work either as they explain it
so your advice is a 3000 rpm clutch pop with traction control on?

what did you run? I missed your name on the fast list.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
--You must launch the car by revving it up to 3000 and pop the clutch Keep the traction control ON Without tons of seat time on a manual trans with the TC off you are fighting an uphill battle
Popping the clutch won't work well.

I would get solid fundamental baseline numbers off a STOCK car. No tunes, no tricks, no slicks....just a baseline car and get the mechanics of launching down. Once your times peak (low times that is) AND you want to go faster start the mods. But do ONE mod at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To Went to the track

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
so your advice is a 3000 rpm clutch pop with traction control on?

what did you run? I missed your name on the fast list.
The times I have been to the track that didn't work well!
Unless I had some sticky tires on!
My fastest times on street tires were with a off the stop sign start.
With about 1200 rpm and feathering the gas not hitting full pedal till 3rd gear. This was at track with poor or no prep.
I was in the top ten on the early list (C-6) with 11.98 2.04 60ft 120
Old 09-22-2014, 03:01 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Drop the rear tire pressure to around 24PSI. Don't do a huge burn out, but do spin them a few rotations out of the H2O box to clean them off. Once staged, bring RPM's up to about 2800 (this will vary depending on track conditions). When light goes green hold throttle and ease off the clutch bringing it up semi-quickly but smoothly. You'll get a little spinage, but once you feel them start to grab roll into the throttle.

It definitely takes some practice. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The times I have been to the track that didn't work well!
Unless I had some sticky tires on!
My fastest times on street tires were with a off the stop sign start.
With about 1200 rpm and feathering the gas not hitting full pedal till 3rd gear. This was at track with poor or no prep.
I was in the top ten on the early list (C-6) with 11.98 2.04 60ft 120
I was being facetious because it was the worst advice ever.

Quick Reply: Went to the track