C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger/Cold Air Intake

Old 10-19-2014, 11:57 PM
petethib8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger/Cold Air Intake

Just curious on anyones opinion who may have both or at least one of them on what they fell the best option is. I recently purchased a 2015 Z51 package, 1LT. I want to increase the HP, but DO NOT want to void any warranties. My guess is the cold air intake until it is out of warranty. Can anyone help me out with suggestions or with personal preference? First vette so forgive my ignorance.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The C7 already has a factory "cold air intake" that is installed at the factory.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 AM
dodgersphc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with any warranty they have to prove that the modification caused the damage, until then it's still covered. With that being said if you put a blower on and damage the power train its going to be pretty easy for them to say it caused the damage. But if the trunk stops opening they'll fix it under warranty.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 AM
petethib8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C7 already has a factory "cold air intake" that is installed at the factory.
Thanks, like I said forgive my ignorance on the matter.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by petethib8
Just curious on anyones opinion who may have both or at least one of them on what they fell the best option is. I recently purchased a 2015 Z51 package, 1LT. I want to increase the HP, but DO NOT want to void any warranties. My guess is the cold air intake until it is out of warranty. Can anyone help me out with suggestions or with personal preference? First vette so forgive my ignorance.
Thanks
GM warrants that the car will be covered under warranty up to 460HP. anything beyond that related to powertrain and they can deny a repair on it..
Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

The stock filter seems to be the limiting factor on the stock CAI. Just change out the filter.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
The stock filter seems to be the limiting factor on the stock CAI. Just change out the filter.
Do you have any unbiased testing of different filter elements to back up your assertion?

Even K&N, the most well known mfg. of aftermarket replacement air filters says this on their website..... "The K&N FilterCharger® air filter is designed to achieve high, virtually unrestricted air flow while maintaining filtration levels critical to ensure long engine life. Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower".

Really, is a gain of 1-4 horsepower that significant(and no actual proof that it will increase the horsepower more than 1 on a C7)?

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-22-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Do you have any unbiased testing of different filter elements to back up your assertion?

Even K&N, the most well known mfg. of aftermarket replacement air filters says this on their website..... "The K&N FilterCharger® air filter is designed to achieve high, virtually unrestricted air flow while maintaining filtration levels critical to ensure long engine life. Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower".

Really, is a gain of 1-4 horsepower that significant(and no actual proof that it will increase the horsepower more than 1 on a C7)?
The only thing I have done performance wise to my car is replace the air filter. No tune as of yet. Exhaust note increased slightly and a slight gurgle that wasn't there with the stock filter. I would deduct that the filter is allowing more air to pass. Car feels a touch peppier down low and when you give it some gas it sounds like a CAI (didn't stock). The stock filter is definitely heavier and more restrictive. How much horse power it added I don't know but it did seem to improve the airflow. The stock system is a CAI so I decided to try just a filter change.
My last Vette was 818rwhp. This isn't that but the filter did make a difference as I suspected when I looked at the stock filter.

Last edited by ZO6ME; 10-22-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: left out filter type http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IHC88FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

If warranties are important to you, forget about cold air intakes and other very minor performance enhancements. The seat of the pants improvement in fun factor, won't amount to squat. Now if you want a HUGE step up to a whole new level, go the supercharging route. Callaway offers a well regarded quality package with full warranty that supplements GM's for 3yr/36000 miles right along with the factory warranty. Lingenfelter, another highly regarded forum tuner, offers supercharger packages that also has 3/36 warranties on the engine. Neither one has bargain basement K-Mart blue light special pricing, but if you are looking for first class work at a fair price for what you get and people who will stand behind their work, you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

The stock filter is definitely heavier and more restrictive.

And is a far superior filter for filtering small dirt particles. Anyone that says they can "feel the difference" of 1 to 4 HP out of 460 is simply fooling themselves.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

And is a far superior filter for filtering small dirt particles. Anyone that says they can "feel the difference" of 1 to 4 HP out of 460 is simply fooling themselves.

Lol, true.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

I think it's more than 1 to 4. Lets see that in print they claim more
but thats another story. I been using them for years.
Tuning would seem might yeild better results with more air.

They offer less restriction for sure.
ALL Supercharger kits for the C7 have K&N Type filters for a reason they do pass more air. Superchargers have roughly about 200+- hp over stock. They filter good enough where your engine will last as long as it would with the stock one. My 2000 mazda pick-up (fram version air hog) got one at 70k
it now has north of 250k stills runs good.
for the stock car
Another benefit it is the last filter you buy. Just clean when dirty and lightly reoil.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-24-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger/Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger/Cold Air Intake