C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske Shocks C7 Kits now available

Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B Stead
The coilover models suggest that they lower 1". I suppose most lowering on the stock bolts is about 3/4" so this might work for the average street tuner.

I would be inclined to use the OEM springs and the coilovers to make a total spring rate about equal to the C6 T1 kits. But I don't see how to match up the ride heights of the OEM springs with the coilovers if the coilovers must be at 1" lower. Basically, don't worry about it but just throw the OEM springs away and put the required spring rate on the coilovers
The issue is spring to control arm clearance at full droop with less than a 1" drop in ride height. You could add a droop limiter to keep them from hitting. I think the point here is we have everything needed now to run a non adjust to 4-way adjustable damper from stock ride height to as low as you want to go. Some minor sacrifices may be necessary for higher ride heights. We just need to know what the customer wants.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Any current feedback/discussion on the Penske's? My interest is for stock ride height for street use on rough roads. I'm after more control but maintaining compliance on my base C7. Of course I'm likely to start with Z51 sways and I'm wondering if Z51 shocks would provide what I want or whether the upgrade to Penske's would be worth the cost. I doubt I need adjustability and I don't understand the value of coil overs compared to non-coil overs on a C7.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:56 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Any current feedback/discussion on the Penske's? My interest is for stock ride height for street use on rough roads. I'm after more control but maintaining compliance on my base C7. Of course I'm likely to start with Z51 sways and I'm wondering if Z51 shocks would provide what I want or whether the upgrade to Penske's would be worth the cost. I doubt I need adjustability and I don't understand the value of coil overs compared to non-coil overs on a C7.
For you there probably is no benefit for coil springs. If you're looking for excellent road manors on an otherwise stock car the non-adjust shocks are a great option.

Since you're non-coilover you'll have the benefit of spherical bearing mounts without putting all of the spring load through the bearings and thereby extending the life/reducing maintenance.

We've also seen our shocks go as far as 30,000 miles between rebuilds but we recommend a minimum of once every two years. If you go to the track much then we recommend at least rebuilding once every year. Overtime the shims and oil will break down and the ride will be a bit more compliant but still night and day over stock shocks. Of course with Penskes you can custom tailor the tune each time you get them rebuilt based on your own feedback with the shock technician.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

I hate to say this guys. I'm sure u won't agree because you own c7's but I ended up lossing a lot of money on my car. I bought variant 3 kW coil overs for $4000 and even with dampening to all the way soft almost the spring rate was still to stiff for me. So I sold my 700hp supercharged Vette for way less than I paid for it. The base models suspension is complete junk for a sports car. I knew I wanted the z51 package with magnetic ride control but the supercharged power blinded me. Oh well. U live and learn.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisgordillo
I hate to say this guys. I'm sure u won't agree because you own c7's but I ended up lossing a lot of money on my car. I bought variant 3 kW coil overs for $4000 and even with dampening to all the way soft almost the spring rate was still to stiff for me. So I sold my 700hp supercharged Vette for way less than I paid for it. The base models suspension is complete junk for a sports car. I knew I wanted the z51 package with magnetic ride control but the supercharged power blinded me. Oh well. U live and learn.
Is this some sort of troll post? What do dampers have to do with spring rates? The whole point of a coilover is to be able to use the spring rates you want. Why didn't you just order $80 of softer springs instead of selling your car?
Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline
Is this some sort of troll post? What do dampers have to do with spring rates? The whole point of a coilover is to be able to use the spring rates you want. Why didn't you just order $80 of softer springs instead of selling your car?
Now it has to be a troll because I said something you don't like? I'm not mechanically inclined. All I know is I did not like the base suspension or the high end coil overs I put on. I got the coil overs put on properly as well.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

I think he was just confused like me. You sold your car because a cheap part any mechanic could have replaced didn't perform like you hoped. Most people wouldn't handle the situation like you did hence the confusion.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now it has to be a troll because I said something you don't like? I'm not mechanically inclined. All I know is I did not like the base suspension or the high end coil overs I put on. I got the coil overs put on properly as well.
Coilovers are shocks with spring perches attached, usually by threaded outer bodies for adjustability. You can fairly easily swap in different spring rates to fine tune the ride. For racers, they can put different spring rates in the front and rear to change the balance of the car, fixing understeer or oversteer issues or compensating for different tire widths. For street drivers, they can dial in exactly how stiff or compliant they want the ride to be. The springs that come stock should just be taken as a "suggestion" or starting point. Fairly substantial changes can be made before needing a revalve or different shocks.

I'm sorry your professional installers failed to mention this to you. That wasn't very professional of them and I wouldn't go back. The springs are the cheap part and a quick swap almost certainly would have solved your problem.

I'm angry on your behalf that this cost you your time, money, and car. In the future, find a shop that also knows how to setup it up. Any monkey with a wrench can bolt stuff on!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
I think he was just confused like me. You sold your car because a cheap part any mechanic could have replaced didn't perform like you hoped. Most people wouldn't handle the situation like you did hence the confusion.
U don't understand!!!!!! Nothing was broken! I just didn't like the stiff ride of the coilovers!!!!!
And the stock ride is way to floaty for my taste.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

U don't understand!!!!!! Nothing was broken! I just didn't like the stiff ride of the coilovers!!!!!
And the stock ride is way to floaty for my taste.
It is quite clear you don't understand. Oh well its over you don't have the car anymore.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

It is quite clear you don't understand. Oh well its over you don't have the car anymore.
I understand that the expensive coilovers are to harsh and that base suspension is to soft. I don't need to b a mechanic. To each his own.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Like I said before if you don't like how it handles...
you can custom tailor the tune each time you get them rebuilt based on your own feedback with the shock technician.
That applies to almost every aftermarket shock available for Corvettes.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

Like I said before if you don't like how it handles...

That applies to almost every aftermarket shock available for Corvettes.
If the spring rate on the coilovers is to stiff no matter what setting u put it at you are going to feel the bumps. Trust me. I had it professionally installed and we tweaked it several times. If the road had no bumps what so ever like a highway it was ok but other than that I was not satisfied. I'm saying this to warn people.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

We're trying to explain that you can buy new springs too! They about $80 each...

Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

We're trying to explain that you can buy new springs too! They about $80 each...

That's what i should have done. U live and learn.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

That's what i should have done. U live and learn.
It just boggles my mind that Chevrolet can make the base so floaty. What were they thinking??!!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Should've bought a Z51.

Floaty is a function of shocks, not springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Penske Shocks C7 Kits now available

Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

It just boggles my mind that Chevrolet can make the base so floaty. What were they thinking??!!!!!
They built it for my taste. I like floaty, it's a street car for me, no track activity for me.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Chrisgordillo
Intermediate

I'm glad you like yours John.
Everyone has different taste. That's what makes the world a great place!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Z51 shocks are cheap and available.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Penske Shocks C7 Kits now available