C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best MPG you've gotten

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
That doesn't make any sense ----If the lifter is locked so it acts as a normal lifter--then the valve are still opening and closing !!!--All I can tell you is that in DOD mode--lifter often fail --for lack of lubrication--ask yourself what would cause that ?? Only reasonable assumption is that the lubrication is not adequate while in DOD----
Are you trying to say the valves are held open ?? in DOD mode
You are understanding my post backwards.

When running 8 cylinders the telescoping lifter is locked together using a mechanical spring loaded pin. valves open and close normally. When in 4 cylinder mode, the solenoid valves allows oil to flow to the lifter to retract the spring loaded pin, thus allowing the lifter to follow the cam, yet the inner sleeve is not moving, letting the valves remain in the closed position. At all times the lifer is receiving oil for lubrication as that is a different part of the oiling system than what is used to retract the locking pin in the lifter.

Maybe this will help

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:39 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 32.2

I did a trip from Murray KY to Madison WI at 72 MPG most of the time. I changed driving mode every 50 miles. The best mode was Touring at 32.2. The ECO mode did not provide an increased number of miles per gallon. I thought it would. I wonder why it did not? Any ideas.

Speed averaged 72 MPH
Most driving with cruse control on.
No abnormal wind to speak of.
Miles on car at test time, 6,000.

So why does the ECO 4-cyl mode not provide a MPG advantage?

Nick

Quick Reply: Best MPG you've gotten