C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal resistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:55 PM
MizzardKR
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas pedal resistance

This may be an odd question, but here it goes:
I'm considering purchasing a C7, and was able to rent a 2014 auto for a day to test it out. About the only thing I disliked about the car was its heavy-feeling gas pedal. I'm coming from a DiabloSport-tuned 2006 Mustang GT which, in addition to the revised throttle mapping, has a very light pedal feel that I have grown to prefer. After returning the C7 and jumping back into my car, I darn near popped a wheelie. If I could have that same feeling in the corvette... wow.

Is there a way to lighten the tension of the gas pedal? Perhaps a spring that can be removed or swapped? Or is this just something I would have to get used to? (I don't see anyone else complaining about this.) Thanks! (First post!)

Last edited by MizzardKR; 10-23-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: wording
Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MizzardKR
This may be an odd question, but here it goes:
I'm considering purchasing a C7, and was able to rent a 2014 auto for a day to test it out. About the only thing I disliked about the car was its heavy-feeling gas pedal. I'm coming from a DiabloSport-tuned 2006 Mustang GT which, in addition to the revised throttle mapping, has a very light pedal feel that I have grown to prefer. After returning the C7 and jumping back into my car, I darn near popped a wheelie. If I could have that same feeling in the corvette... wow.

Is there a way to lighten the tension of the gas pedal? Perhaps a spring that can be removed or swapped? Or is this just something I would have to get used to? (I don't see anyone else complaining about this.) Thanks! (First post!)
Its a good question, id like to do something similar. Want it to be like my C6.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I feel there is more control with the C7 pedal and it makes it easier to control oversteer vs the mustang which is a mash the gas kind of application.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM
MizzardKR
Cruising

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I feel there is more control with the C7 pedal and it makes it easier to control oversteer vs the mustang which is a mash the gas kind of application.
A lighter pedal does offer the opportunity to get oneself in trouble with regards to oversteer, but that same risk exists with my mustang (probably even more so.) I just prefer the lighter pedal when it comes to mundane city driving; the car seems lighter and peppier .
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

A lighter pedal does offer the opportunity to get oneself in trouble with regards to oversteer, but that same risk exists with my mustang (probably even more so.) I just prefer the lighter pedal when it comes to mundane city driving; the car seems lighter and peppier .
in that case all you need is a tune to reprogram the throttle. it's electric, after all.....and it is pretty dead in stock form at low throttle openings....but that is to smooth parking lot driving. it can all be changed.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I totally agree about the gas pedal being harder to press down. I find myself not keeping speed in traffic and unfortunately slowing down a bit. Embarrassing. Former C6 owner for 7 years.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I totally agree about the gas pedal being harder to press down. I find myself not keeping speed in traffic and unfortunately slowing down a bit. Embarrassing. Former C6 owner for 7 years.
embarrassing? trust me, no one on the highway is watching you and thinking, what's wrong with that guys gas pedal???

honestly, this is a very silly concern. all cars feel and drive differently. the C7 is not a C6 and its not a mustang. learn to drive the car for what it is or tune it. there is no throttle spring, there is no carburator.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a Diablo InTune and problem solved. (I still don't think it corrected anything wrong, it just made it more to my liking.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM
MizzardKR
Cruising

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
honestly, this is a very silly concern.
Well that settles it.

Honestly, I thought the gas pedal might work similar to the famed C6 clutch pedal, where you could remove some resistance just by removing a spring. I guess not. But there is nothing wrong to want to tailor the car to your preference. This is tech and performance.

A tune may very well be all it takes. I'm definitely moving forward to purchase the car, because, yes, this isn't a deal-breaker; the C7 is a great car (and not a mustang)

Last edited by MizzardKR; 10-26-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Well that settles it.
I'm not talking about the pedal response concern, im talking about the embarrassment concern.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM
MizzardKR
Cruising

Ah, I misinterpreted.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Would the different position of the control for W, E, T,S,& Tr have anything to do with pedal pressure? My Volt when put in sport mode recall rates the gas petal to make power come on with just a lite pedal effort.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
Would the different position of the control for W, E, T,S,& Tr have anything to do with pedal pressure? My Volt when put in sport mode recall rates the gas petal to make power come on with just a lite pedal effort.
yes they do have slight differences but not nearly as much as what's available through tuning.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Forget it. Apparently some people have never had a broken right foot and can feel the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas pedal resistance

Quick Reply: Gas pedal resistance