C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Nice read! Now have me wanting to look at my ITA's! Nice work on testing on the intercooler . My A&A kit does not seem to add any heat it runs the same as stock. Even after several 0-100's in warmer weather. Temperature
was and is never an issue.

Maybe use their exact Intercooler to really compare results.

To be fair the horizontal intercooler design "tested" looks nothing like the A&A.

You cannot just stick a flat wedge in there test it and say that's it.

There are difference's in many ways from what you tested. Thickness and size ,amount of air diverted Air flow etc.
The A&A cooler turns the air through the cooler.

I do know that after many A&A kits intercooling is tested.
Smoke tested and then lost air is rerouted to cool on the C6's.

Only been 135-140 a couple of times but didn't notice any lift.
The centri kits are great fun on the C7!

No matter what "core" or shape of intercooler was tested, the results were the same. Any sort of scoop on the TOP side of the intercooler, eventually caused over heating of the ECT on the road course. 1" tall scoop, 2" tall scoop, etc.

Maybe someone has used that style set up on a road course with good luck, though every time we tested it, in each configuration it took right at about 3 laps, before the ECT's were so high the car had to pull over and park to cool down. (245+ and climbing) Which was basically the same as our vertical intercooler.

With 0-100 pulls you likely will not see that temp rise, just like we don't with the vertical intercooler on 0-100 runs. Remember we stated the IAT's were infact good, much like you are seeing. However, we weren't testing just for IAT's, but wanted to make sure there was an intercooler that didn't cause ECT issues as well.

The "LIFT" that the lower scoops caused could be seen with the naked eye. As we all watched the car come down the front strait away, it looked as though you installed a 4x4 lift kit on the nose of the car. The first time coming into turn #1 at 135+mph, was the first time the C7 had to use the ENTIRE track, to keep the car from going offroading. The car pushed so bad through the braking transition, it was thankful that we don't have a corner with a higher entrance speed, or it might have been a very bad situation.

You did nail it though... C7's + Boost = Awesome!

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:18 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unreal
I understand not posting actual data, but can you quantify the vertical over the horizontal best case? Like 5% better? 10% better? I guess in my case, living in AZ, where it gets 120F out, I rather take the extra cooling for radiator if it was only a 2-5% difference in IATs. If it was 10-20% then I would just look at upgrading cooling system instead.

The Horizontal intercooler, Delta inlet temps 72% higher than Vertical intercooler.
(comparing the absolute best configuration, the MultiVane rear facing)
**basically almost twice that of the vertical unit.

NOTE: Using the road course data for the same day, same car, same number of laps. (remember we can only do about 3-4 laps at WOT with the Vert intercooler, before ECT issues happen)

Now that number "72" might sound scary, but rest assured its due to the fact that our Vertical intercooler delta is so incredibly low, its driving the base number down.

After all the our C7 horizontal intercooler actually has lower delta IAT's then our C6 systems with a vertical unit, thanks to how well the MuliVane works with the C7 aerodynamics. Now THATS something to think about.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-04-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
No matter what "core" or shape of intercooler was tested, the results were the same. Any sort of scoop on the TOP side of the intercooler, eventually caused over heating of the ECT on the road course. 1" tall scoop, 2" tall scoop, etc.

Maybe someone has used that style set up on a road course with good luck, though every time we tested it, in each configuration it took right at about 3 laps, before the ECT's were so high the car had to pull over and park to cool down. (245+ and climbing)

With 0-100 pulls you likely will not see that temp rise, just like we don't with the vertical intercooler on 0-100 runs. Remember we stated the IAT's were infact good, much like you are seeing. However, we weren't testing just for IAT's, but wanted to make sure there was an intercooler that didn't cause ECT issues as well.

The "LIFT" that the lower scoops caused could be seen with the naked eye as we all watched the car come down the front strait away. It looked as though you installed a 4x4 lift kit on the nose of the car. The first time coming into the first corner at 135+mph, was the first time the driver of the C7, about had to use the ENTIRE track, to keep the car from going offroading. The car pushed so bad through the braking transition, it was thankful that we don't have a corner with a higher entrance speed, or it might have been a very bad situation.

You did nail it though... C7's + Boost = Awesome!
I'll check my own ITA's. Hard to fathom since OEM on cars and motorcycle's use air scoups to route air. None use a air to air let alone horizontial. You have too much variance from what you tested to the intercooler offered by others.

Just like you copy a Smith & Wesson pistol. Then when it doesn't
shoot well say the design and the Smith Pistol are bad.

You don't know until you use a A&A cooler to get true results. What you cobbled together used are just not close in design.

Your one intercooler blocks the cooling air for the radiator.
I suppose there is no effect on cooling? Thee small scoup on the A&A cooler is not going to lift the car!

You used a much wider scoup!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:47 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Have to fathom since OEM on cars and motorcycle's use air scoups to route air. None use a air to air let alone horizontial.
There are lots of cars that use air to air intercoolers stock. Porsche, Audi, Subaru, Ford, GM, Dodge, the list goes on and on. And "most" all of them are vertical mounted, though a handful have them horizontally mounted due to space reasons.

Even cars that have air to water intercoolers have the heat exchangers mounted vertically, for the most part.

You have too much variance from what you tested to the intercooler offered by others.
We did not say "here is the direct comparison"
It was just comparing the basic concepts of the airflow up front.

And I think you may have missed the part that the scoop on top, had GOOD IAT's for the intercooler. (Just as you are stating) It just lead to ECT issues on the road course. So the actual core used is nearly a mute point, cause the issues are about the ECT rise, due to the airflow the "scoop" robs from the radiator.

Your one intercooler blocks the cooling air for the radiator.
I suppose there is no effect on cooling?
Please re-read what we have posted, and my responses from today. Yes, the vertical intercooler can only be used for about 3-4 laps on a road course at WOT. (However that is about exactly the same, as the Horizontal units tested with the "scoop" above the intercooler)

To find out if you get the same results with your system, all you have to do is repeat the same test we did. Go to a road course, and do about 6+ miles at WOT, and keep and eye on your Engine Coolant Temps.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:57 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
There are lots of cars that use air to air intercoolers stock. Porsche, Audi, Subaru, Ford, GM, Dodge, the list goes on and on.

And "most" all of them are vertical mounted, and the very few that are not are due to space reasons up front.

Even cars that have air to water intercoolers have the heat exchangers mounted vertically.

We did not say "here is the direct comparison"
It was just comparing the basic concepts of the airflow up front.

And I think you may have missed the part that the scoop on top, had GOOD IAT's for the intercooler. (Just as you are stating) It just lead to ECT issues on the road course. So the actual core used is nearly a mute point, cause the issues are about the airflow the "scoop" robs from the radiator.

Please re-read what we have posted, and my responses from today. Yes, the vertical intercooler can only be used for about 3-4 laps on a road course at WOT. (However that is about exactly the same, as the Horizontal units tested with the "scoop" above the intercooler)

To find out if you get the same results with your system, all you have to do is repeat the same test we did. Go to a road course, and do about 6+ miles at WOT, and keep and eye on your Engine Coolant Temps.
You results are doing nothing to sway me.

So you saying your vertical intercooler blocks the radiator.
But the A&A design cause's the same heating of the coolant?

Which I don't buy!

But no real data just talk and some stuff cobbled together?

Read enough have a nice day!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I get you think that I like to stir the pot or that I have some sort of agenda here, but you could not be further from the truth.
You DO like stirring the pot, thats all you do every time we post.
Even the moderators have taken notice.

Its childish, its annoying, and frankly other members get sick of it. By constantly poking the stick, over and over and over again, for things that don't even have to do with the topic at hand in most cases.

That and my experience with procharger has not been positive in the past. From a product or customer service standpoint. That's the bottom line.
We get it, EVERYONE gets it. You didn't like our C5/C6 system from a decade ago, that hasn't been in production for almost a decade. Lets keep this on topic, we are talking about the C7 Corvette ProCharger System. So if you don't have anything factual negative to say about this system, please refrain from the generic negative comments.

THREE THINGS:

#1)
All we are saying is that 100% without a doubt, the vertical intercooler will flat outperform the horizontal unit. (Unless your trying to road race the car) There are no if's, ands, or butts about it.

#2)
We went GREAT lengths, to ensure our Horizontal unit for road racing applications would not only deliver the best delta IAT's, but ensure no ECT issues, or aerodynamic issues, all while keeping near stock ground clearance. (since most road course cars are lowered) We didn't spend the $$$ to rent an entire road course and drag strip for (3) days, just to get a few photos and videos.

#3)
If any other competitor wants to post up, they can, thats the beauty of this forum. They can post information about the variations of intercoolers they tested, what their results were outside of a simple dyno. (road course, drag strip, etc)

We spent the time and the $$$$ to track test this car to put the rumors to bed, and likely have put some education out there, for C7 owners that might be using forced induction in the future, and not just a ProCharger. (And there is nothing wrong with that)

Though at the end of the day we have ensured we are selling the best product possible for years to come, no matter how the customer is using their C7 Corvette.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-04-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

So you saying your vertical intercooler blocks the radiator.
But the A&A design cause's the same heating of the coolant?

Which I don't buy!
Yes our vertical intercooler is in front of the radiator as most vertical intercoolers are.

We never said "A&A" anywhere in our post, please don't put words in our mouth.

Since day one, we have never stated that our Vertical intercooler was intended for road racing. HOWEVER, what we do say is that unless your planning on road racing, the Vertical unit will out perform the horizontal, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and even Full MILE pulls!

We simply tested horizontal intercoolers in both the 4.5" thick cores, and then again with a slimmer core "to represent our competitors" since they use a thinner core then ours, (Which blocks less of the radiator, when combined with a scoop on top of the core)

The real amazing facts people should gather from this, is how much just simple "scoop/flap/diffuser" placement can effect things like IAT, ECT, and Aerodynamics. Even when the core never changes. Its pretty amazing how drastic the differences were.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-04-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Someone said OEMs don't do horizontal intercoolers. Porsche and Subaru, and I'm sure others have and still use horizontal intercools FWIW.

I would fully expect a vertical to outperform, I don't think anyone is arguing that, the question is about the trade offs between horizontal and vertical. If it is overheating after 3-4 laps, I don't care if it cools 72% better, I want a car I can beat on with no overheating issues, so I would do the horizontal. Hell, I may adapt a horizontal FMIC or something on my c6 because I'm tired of battling heat issues. IATs are not an issue, ECTs are.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Someone said OEMs don't do horizontal intercoolers. Porsche and Subaru, and I'm sure others have and still use horizontal intercools FWIW.

I would fully expect a vertical to outperform, I don't think anyone is arguing that, the question is about the trade offs between horizontal and vertical. If it is overheating after 3-4 laps, I don't care if it cools 72% better, I want a car I can beat on with no overheating issues, so I would do the horizontal. Hell, I may adapt a horizontal FMIC or something on my c6 because I'm tired of battling heat issues. IATs are not an issue, ECTs are.
Then you questions have been answered by my responses.

1)
Our Horizontal intercooler on the C7 with the MuliVane diffuser has BETTER IAT's then our C6 systems, and has literally Zero effect on engine coolant.

2)
The vertical unit will out perform the Horizontal in all conditions of...
1/4 mile WOT
1/2 mile WOT
1 full mile at WOT
Only, will multi lap excursions on the road course, bring the ECT's into question.

Since the C6 doesn't have the "hood scoop" that the C7 has, there is no telling at this point if the Horizontal, with our diffuser would have the same results. It would be interesting to find out, maybe next spring!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

That is an interesting write-up, Thanks for posting!!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by breecher_7
None of the competitors are making such bold claims as you are such as "best intercooler design, Ultimate Power Adder"
Just so we are on the same page here.

"The Ultimate Power Adder" is our slogan/tag line.
Same as "Whats in Your Wallet ~Capital One"

And yes we have the data in-house to factually state, which is the "Best Intercooler" design we tested.

Thanks to all of those that have showed interest in this intercooler testing post. We feel as though it will be something people will likely look back on for years when installing intercoolers into the front of these C7's.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by K B Vettin
awesome write up and engineering
Thanks! It was a good day of testing not only for C7 owners, but C6 owners as well, since we used the track time to prove out the new C6 intercooler, for guys that are going well past the 1000HP mark, and needed a higher flowing unit.

Originally Posted by mkr1966
Awesome testing!!! Thanks Procharger! Great options on both. I'm glad however I went with the "Vertical" unit living here In Iowa. Your system works beyond words and transforms the C7 into a beast!
Great news! Yes the vertical unit is awesome, and well boost + C7 = The way it should be.

Originally Posted by Snorman
FWIW...I can think of at least one upcoming C7 model where a custom designed and tested front undertray scoop to a cooler might be very beneficial, if not a very cost effective way of decreasing fluid temps.
S.
Yes, the C7 even in stock from has some pretty bad heating issues of fluids, such as trans and diff. Willing to be a lot of awesome products are going to be coming out, to combat those issues.

Originally Posted by robertf97
Thanks for posting this data. Wish I had known it in March but I understand it takes time. Does Procharger sell the vertical intercooler, diffuser, and silicone hoses separately?
We do sell at the parts individually.

Originally Posted by robertf97
At the time I ordered my Procharger kit, I was advised by a respected shop that the vertical intercooler was for hard core drag racers and the horizontal kit would be best for the street. After waiting 6 weeks or so for the horizontal intercooler to be available from Procharger, I cancelled my order and went with another brand.

Now I have an issue where the AC pressure sensor is wearing a hole in the aluminum intercooler discharge tube, so I reinforced it with Kevlar and epoxy for a temporary fix. I realize I need to take the front end apart and move things around a bit but I feel like it is going to hit somewhere else if I do that so that is why I would prefer to have the Silicone hoses. The additional benefit is less clamps to have to worry about. I see A&A went to Silicone hoses as well. So if I am going to take the front end apart, I thought might as well put the better intercooler in there too if it is not too expensive.

Also, I think the Procharger diffuser looks cool.
Sorry to hear about your issues with the other system, though maybe you could use our silicon hoses to at least remedy that situation, and adapt our diffuser to work for you. (Could be a great solution for you)

Originally Posted by stangkilrproductions
I have the vertical on mine and love it
And we have all seen your highway runs in Mexico, and on the drag strips all across this country. How many miles are on that poor car now?

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
That is an interesting write-up, Thanks for posting!!
Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Thank you for posting your findings! Very impressive to see a company going to these great lengths to prove their products. I'm sure I just missed it, but was this testing performed on an otherwise stock car with the standard base tune?

Also, what are your thoughts/results/findings on the standard (OEM airbox) intake vs. race (open filter) intake? For both versions I'm assuming your included high-flow air filters are an oiled cotton gauze similar to a K&N?

Last edited by Kracka; 11-10-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nice work!! Now that you have identified the best horizontal setup can you do another test to get us the IAT increase between that and the vertical setup on both the road and 1/4,1/2, mile track?

Can you also do this on an upgraded coolant system as well to show that using the vertical setup is still possible road racing?

Thanks!

-Carl
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kracka
Thank you for posting your findings! Very impressive to see a company going to these great lengths to prove their products. I'm sure I just missed it, but was this testing performed on an otherwise stock car with the standard base tune?

Also, what are your thoughts/results/findings on the standard (OEM airbox) intake vs. race (open filter) intake? For both versions I'm assuming your included high-flow air filters are an oiled cotton gauze similar to a K&N?
The car that was used and abused in (3) solid days of track testing, is 100% stock, and runs our 100% stock system down to the same tune that we provide all our customers.

Each day before heading to the track, the fleet (we took more cars then just the C7) would stop at BP to get fresh tanks of 93 octane, and load the coolers full of snacks, drinks, and COFFEE before heading out to the track for the day.

Driven to the track,
Tested at the track,
Driven home.

(bout an hour each way, depending on traffic)

Originally Posted by carlrx7
Nice work!! Now that you have identified the best horizontal setup can you do another test to get us the IAT increase between that and the vertical setup on both the road and 1/4,1/2, mile track?
I don't under stand this question. The Vertical intercooler has nearly no IAT rise when used for 1/4,1/2 and Full Mile Pulls.

It takes almost 3.5miles of WOT to finally effect the engine coolant only. (The IAT's never climb)

So thus why we stated, unless your road racing, there is NO reason to have a horizontal intercooler.

Can you also do this on an upgraded coolant system as well to show that using the vertical setup is still possible road racing?

Thanks!

-Carl
We don't have a reason to do that testing, since we never had an issue with the cooling system with our Horizontal system in place. If a customer wants to try and make a Vertical system work with an upgraded cooling system, that will be up to them. (Given the frontal area, and aerodynamics of the car, that seems like it will be an uphill battle, for little gains)
Old 11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I disagree with no reason to have a vertical unless road racing unless that test was done in 115+ temps. So no reason unless you don't live in an extreme climate.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:45 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

I disagree with no reason to have a vertical unless road racing unless that test was done in 115+ temps. So no reason unless you don't live in an extreme climate.
We have sold C7 systems with vertical intercoolers to literally nearly state in this fine country. Including your state AZ. We have yet to have one single complaint about overheating, or IAT issues with them.

Considering the amount of time it takes on the track to even get the ECT's to start to rise, one would have to think the "overheating" of C7s was a little over hyped. (on a 90 degree day, it took 3.5miles of WOT on the road course, to get the ECTs to start to climb)

The way the forum talked about overheating in the beginning made it sound like it couldn't make it to the end of a 1/4mile without issues. Or that just driving in traffic with the A/C is on would be a problem.

However as stated, thats just not the case. We have had literally ZERO complaints of any issues with the vertical intercooler, even in hot climates. (No ECT issues, no IAT issues, no AC issues)

I can personally vouch for driving out C7 on the hottest day we had this year in Kansas City (99 degrees in July) , sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the AC on, and literally no issues what so ever. (Other then bordem)

A customer can do what they want, and pick what they want.
No worries with that at all.

However at this time, since there has been ZERO complaints, I can't see any reason other then road racing for the Horizontal. (Or just because a person preference)

PS: I am talking about in regards to the stock system, on a stock car.
Although I know that "Stangkilr" has had his Vertical intercooler quipped 800+ rwhp C7 down in the TX heat, and reported no issues either.

Last edited by ProChargerTech; 11-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)

Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Good to know. I will say there is a HUGE HUGE difference from 99 to 120F though. My car will idle/ac and stay cool just fine in 105F weather, but if it is 115F sitting in traffic, issues come up. Glad to know you haven't had any owners call and complain about heating, but until I talk to a person who actually lives here and has done it, I'm going to stay a bit skeptic about it. Most vette owners I know here don't even drive their cars when it is that hot out, and take a different car.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

If you're skeptical, just buy the horizontal intercooler. This is why they offer the choice to customers.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Good to know. I will say there is a HUGE HUGE difference from 99 to 120F though. My car will idle/ac and stay cool just fine in 105F weather, but if it is 115F sitting in traffic, issues come up. Glad to know you haven't had any owners call and complain about heating, but until I talk to a person who actually lives here and has done it, I'm going to stay a bit skeptic about it. Most vette owners I know here don't even drive their cars when it is that hot out, and take a different car.
I can understand your concern. I have personally spent time out there in AZ, and can relate. Though surly its only a matter of time before you cross paths with one of the ProCharger C7s in your area, we all know how "small" the car world is.

Quick Reply: 100% Real World, C7 Intercooler testing by ProCharger (Horizontal and Vert. data)