C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for everyone modding their C7's......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:37 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Question for everyone modding their C7's......

aren't you worried about voiding your factory warranty? Don't get me wrong, I would love to get more bhp out of my car but not at the cost of my warranty. When my warranty is up I will definitely be doing something to my car but until then it's just not a risk I want to take especially since I have another 3 years left until it's paid off.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:42 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I hear ya...but for me life's too short. 3 years is too long for me to wait. Enjoy what I can today, tomorrow may not show up.

(That's what I tell my wife anyway!)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

i would gladly pay less for my car and get no warranty at all.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:01 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I hear ya...but for me life's too short. 3 years is too long for me to wait. Enjoy what I can today, tomorrow may not show up.

(That's what I tell my wife anyway!)
true.....but it's a tough choice. I already have a Diablo tune and even if true, that extra 20 hp isn't enough, I want a s/c but if something happens I can't shell out 10, 15k for a new engine......ugh!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

you gotta pay to play man. the rest go to car shows.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
true.....but it's a tough choice. I already have a Diablo tune and even if true, that extra 20 hp isn't enough, I want a s/c but if something happens I can't shell out 10, 15k for a new engine......ugh!
A Diablo tune will void your warranty... So not adding a sc because it will void your warranty is a moot point.

I had one of the first ECS sc kits installed on my C7. I have about 10k miles on mine and it runs great. I step on it when I want to but I'm not beating the hell out of my car so I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:43 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
A Diablo tune will void your warranty... So not adding a sc because it will void your warranty is a moot point.

I had one of the first ECS sc kits installed on my C7. I have about 10k miles on mine and it runs great. I step on it when I want to but I'm not beating the hell out of my car so I'm not worried about it.

I agree. You've already tuned it, so if anything lets go in the engine or drivetrain, and GM can see its tuned, the warranty is toast. I heard that Diablo makes the claim that one can put the tune back to stock and GM can't detect it was tuned. If you're happy believing that the tune hasn't trashed your warranty, then you can just sit tight and do nothing. You are right that 20 HP more, doesn't amount to squat.

If you want to have fun and put your ride on a completely different level, throw an ECS supercharger on it, installed by a quality shop, and have a blast. Don't over think this , or you'll never do it. Just don't beat the hell out of it and you should have a ton of fun over the next 3 years, instead of always wishing you had more power.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:51 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WARNING: I have nothing to gain from this and I don't even care for Diablos software BUT!

The diablo tune is totally undetectable by the dealer scan tools. When you flash the diablo tune into the ECU it does not change the CVN checksum. The CVN checksum is what GM requires to be checked before allowing for large powertrain repairs. If the calibration codes do not match factory codes, warranty is voided. The diablo tunes are stealth and do not alter this checksum. We have checked the ourselves using the Tech II scan tool.

So in theory, if a supercharger system was installed and nothing that could not be replaced or returned to stock on the car was altered or damaged, you could tune the car using the Diablo CMR and reverse the car back to stock without anyone ever knowing.

Sneaky, but very very true.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
567Chev
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that my car has 8,000 trouble free clicks I'm not worried that I would have a powertrain problem in stock trim, so losing the powertrain warranty wouldn't really worry me.

If it blows up because of a supercharger so be it. That'll be my problem.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I love this line...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Great to hear you're enjoying the boost!

Originally Posted by musclecar6
If you want to have fun and put your ride on a completely different level, throw an ECS supercharger on it, installed by a quality shop, and have a blast. Don't over think this , or you'll never do it.

I like your thinking.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:55 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by breecher_7
WARNING: I have nothing to gain from this and I don't even care for Diablos software BUT!

The diablo tune is totally undetectable by the dealer scan tools. When you flash the diablo tune into the ECU it does not change the CVN checksum. The CVN checksum is what GM requires to be checked before allowing for large powertrain repairs. If the calibration codes do not match factory codes, warranty is voided. The diablo tunes are stealth and do not alter this checksum. We have checked the ourselves using the Tech II scan tool.

So in theory, if a supercharger system was installed and nothing that could not be replaced or returned to stock on the car was altered or damaged, you could tune the car using the Diablo CMR and reverse the car back to stock without anyone ever knowing.

Sneaky, but very very true.
ya see.......that's why I went with a Diablo tune, they claim that it's undetectable when you return it to stock and that's why I'm not too worried about leaving it but some people still claim that it is detectable but I tend to go with what the engineers at Diablo say, something tells me that they got their hands on a GM Tech II scanner and ran a schit load of tests before they made the undetectable claim.....at least I hope so.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

we will know soon enough. its only a matter of time before we get to test GM. hopefully nobody will ever need a warranty, but I don't think that will happen. I see guys talking about using a Tech-2 on a new C7? show me.....I thought GM stopped updating the tech2 in 2012 and went to MDI/GDS system on many vehicles. that's different stuff, it uses a regular computer now and its online. if you really want answers, I would ask Jim Hall.

Last edited by erikszr1; 12-13-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:03 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

ya see.......that's why I went with a Diablo tune, they claim that it's undetectable when you return it to stock and that's why I'm not too worried about leaving it but some people still claim that it is detectable but I tend to go with what the engineers at Diablo say, something tells me that they got their hands on a GM Tech II scanner and ran a schit load of tests before they made the undetectable claim.....at least I hope so.
Even if they didn't if a Diablo tune ever voided a warrantee it would be posted all over the internet including here...

I mean just look at the fall-out form the Viper whoopbutt video...

People are jumping off buildings without a net screaming in agony...
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

TECH2 on a C7?? Im not so sure about that........I think GM stopped updating the tech2 2012. Many GM cars after 2012 went to a MDI/GDS2 system, works from a lap top and is online to work.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aren't you worried about voiding your factory warranty? Don't get me wrong, I would love to get more bhp out of my car but not at the cost of my warranty. When my warranty is up I will definitely be doing something to my car but until then it's just not a risk I want to take especially since I have another 3 years left until it's paid off.
It's reasonable to worry about the warranty if cash is tight and I did when i was younger. Now I can afford to fix it if I blow it and think much more about my time left on this planet. Things can happen that are out of your control, i.e. heart attack, GM could go bankrupt and not honor the warranty, some doofus can crash into you, etc.

If you have to have a warranty you can get a base Z06 at ~585 rwhp (until it gets hot and pulls timing) and pay $80K. Thats about what I've got in my heavily modified 2LT C7 Z51 with 668 rwhp but no more drive train warranty.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Get one and buy the warrantee....I'm pretty sure Edlebrock does and Calloway?

Get notified of new replies

To Question for everyone modding their C7's......

Old 12-14-2014, 03:24 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Simple. By the time the 5/100 warranty is up I will no longer own the car. I own the car outright and do what I feel are smart mods.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I really wish this were an option.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Blown-C7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warranty is way gone....like the one guy said...tomorrow may not come, so I am building it the way I want it now. Doing a 416 stroker, Greg Goode heads, custom grind cam, Novi 2200r, and Monster SC clutch kit, dual nozzle meth, and Cold Fusion nitrous just in case...because I want to.

Quick Reply: Question for everyone modding their C7's......