C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mufflers

Has anyone run just straight pipes and what does it sound like or cutouts? I guess you would have to keep the alternate fuel system baffles in, but maybe not and do something to the electric and computer. If anyone has please send me what it sounds like. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

straight pipes are for teenagers, rednecks, and retards and i know you aren't one of those, because, let's be honest, you're culpeperbob!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

OH quit---that is an UN informed opinion------I am on my 8th C5/C6/C7 Corvette
On my 2014 because there are 4 cats----I was able to CUT OFF both mufflers---and trust me--It is just barely louder than an NPP exhaust that is OPEN--- On my C5 and C6 I was unable to cut them off as it was really not that loud just simply annoying after a while
On my C7 you will not even know it----during cruise its very mild --just rumbles more--But when you go to WOT it sounds totally awesome !!! more of a Ferrari sound and not annoying at all---- I cut my mufflers off just after the butterfly valves for the AFM----So far you can't eliminate the butterflies as you will get a code---But in reality there is not really any reason to cut them off as there is NO added HP by doing so--
Cost ?? Flowmaster makes 4" tips in stainless specifically for the C7--they were about $60---very high quality--double walled---My muffler shopped charged me $100 to install them --so total cost $150----better than the $1200 for NPP !!!!!
If you wanna pay the CORVETTE TAX buy a $1400 cat back system--but if you want more HP and 0 restriction---better sound-----Cut them OFF

PS I sold my mufflers for $200 so I actually made $50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tblu92; 12-15-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by tblu92
I sold my mufflers for $200 so I actually made $50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That should tell you something right?

You can paint your car with a paintbrush if you want to but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

OH quit---that is an informed opinion------I am on my 8th C5/C6/C7 Corvette
On my 2014 because there are 4 cats----I was able to CUT OFF both mufflers---and trust me--It is just barely louder than an NPP exhaust that is OPEN--- On my C5 and C6 I was unable to cut them off as it was really not that loud just simply annoying after a while
On my C7 you will not even know it----during cruise its very mild --just rumbles more--But when you go to WOT it sounds totally awesome !!! more of a Ferrari sound and not annoying at all---- I cut my mufflers off just after the butterfly valves for the AFM----So far you can't eliminate the butterflies as you will get a code---But in reality there is not really any reason to cut them off as there is NO added HP by doing so--
Cost ?? Flowmaster makes 4" tips in stainless specifically for the C7--they were about $60---very high quality--double walled---My muffler shopped charged me $100 to install them --so total cost $150----better than the $1200 for NPP !!!!!
If you wanna pay the CORVETTE TAX buy a $1400 cat back system--but if you want more HP and 0 restriction---better sound-----Cut them OFF

What is WOT?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

C7Jake also removed his mufflers, replaced them with straight-thru stainless pipes,
then added Corsa Tips.

He says it is great, and he also has a video/sound clip of it.

I have just acquired those same Corsa tips,
and am awaiting some better weather to replace my mufflers too.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by culpeperbob
What is WOT?
"Wide open throttle"
Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
That should tell you something right?

You can paint your car with a paintbrush if you want to but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Don't quite understand what point you are trying to make ???
Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 AM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
C7Jake also removed his mufflers, replaced them with straight-thru stainless pipes,
then added Corsa Tips.

He says it is great, and he also has a video/sound clip of it.

I have just acquired those same Corsa tips,
and am awaiting some better weather to replace my mufflers too.
Will you send me you sound clip. Thanks. I want to hear it.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Here's a link to the thread with all the comments, pictures, etc.
He has a link to a youtube video in the last post in the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4-5-quads.html
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

OH quit---that is an UN informed opinion------I am on my 8th C5/C6/C7 Corvette

Can you send me a sound clip of the straight pipes?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:46 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't quite understand what point you are trying to make ???
There are forum members who are real car guys that love vettes and turn wrenchs themselves and there are members who love corvettes but are not real car guys. They are the ones that spend lots of money because they do not know any better. I think you get my drift.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
There are forum members who are real car guys that love vettes and turn wrenchs themselves and there are members who love corvettes but are not real car guys. They are the ones that spend lots of money because they do not know any better. I think you get my drift.
I wouldn't spend 3000 on a cat back or axle back so I guess I don't fall into your latter judgmental category but I sure as hell am not going to hack my exhaust up and run straight pipes like a 1979 3/4 ton pickup (BTW, the car in the video doesn't sound good).
Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

That's not a fair comparison---My muffler less exhaust is not a "hack job" It was professionally installed with hi quality stainless tips---all welded in 100% straight and level--- 1979 3/4 ton pick-up ? You are exaggerating to make your point--Only says that you have some agenda to promote the "Corvette tax "
You can't tell what an exhaust system sound like via a video clip anyway---
Take your information from whomever you choose---I'm not trying to sell any body anything---- I'd love to see the exhaust people laugh at you after you leave when they've milked you for $12000
You and I don't agree on anything- and never will-let's just leave it at that--You always tend to promote yourself as an "Expert"---and a man of means and lots of money-- willing to spend countless money just because you can---I would have never followed you into a foxhole in Vietnam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

please quote a post where I refer to myself as an expert.

please link an exhaust for 12 grand.

please quote a post where I even insuate money in any regard.

this is why you and I don't get along. you are full of fiber at every encounter. by the way, this is the corvette forum, not Vietnam.....so you aren't really saying much about you and me in a foxhole together, that's actually a little weird. exhaust is not a matter of life and death and the security of the free world does not lie in the exhaust note of a C7....lighten up Francis.

That's not a fair comparison---My muffler less exhaust is not a "hack job" It was professionally installed with hi quality stainless tips---all welded in 100% straight and level--- 1979 3/4 ton pick-up ? You are exaggerating to make your point--Only says that you have some agenda to promote the "Corvette tax "
You can't tell what an exhaust system sound like via a video clip anyway---
Take your information from whomever you choose---I'm not trying to sell any body anything---- I'd love to see the exhaust people laugh at you after you leave when they've milked you for $12000
You and I don't agree on anything- and never will-let's just leave it at that--You always tend to promote yourself as an "Expert"---and a man of means and lots of money-- willing to spend countless money just because you can---I would have never followed you into a foxhole in Vietnam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:35 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I understand they have something out called muffler delete for the C7.I was thinking about going that route but I went with Billy Boat instead.Great sound.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

who sells the Muffler Delete Kit for a c7?

Get notified of new replies

To Mufflers

Old 02-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by #1c6
who sells the Muffler Delete Kit for a c7?
midas
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 PM
culpeperbob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
midas
What is a muffler delete kit? Never heard of this.
Here is what I have done to my system and only wish I had done the straight pipe thing. Anyway, I first replaced the x pipe (I had the NPP system) that helped but not enough. Then I bought the BB mufflers, very nice, stainless and that helped. Then I was told by a guy who works on Corvettes to take off the front cats. That did it. I now have one hell of a great system that is loud in any mode. I guess for people in air pollution stations my system might not be so good, but it did take care of my sound system. Good sound, etc.

By the way I will sell my NPP mufflers to anyone who wants them.
I also have an American Car Craft c7 Npp Exhaust filler panel - polished, part #052051 (this will not fit the Corsa or BB tips which are bigger than the stock NPP tips. It sells for $99. I am asking 50 plus postage and it is basically new as I only had it on for a few weeks before buying BB system.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Bob,
So you would have preferred to just go with replacing the mufflers with straight pipes?

So now you have no Resonators (?) or Cats (?).
with an "X" pipe, and the BB Mufflers ?

Just wondering which is the best way for me to go.
I have purchased the Corsa Tips, and am planning on merely replacing the mufflers with straight pipes.
But I haven't done anything yet.

Quick Reply: Mufflers