C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jason @ Texas Speed - need help with your AFM delete & NPP exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Jason @ Texas Speed - need help with your AFM delete & NPP exhaust valves

I just bought your complete VVT3 h/c package & my tuner is having a problem with the exhaust valves with the AFM delete. He called & spoke to Derek & was told he would not be helped unless I bought a mail-order tune from TS.

ok, talked to them. They say that the C7's are weird, and I knew that. Said "Well, we just unhook the battery after every pull, sometimes that gets us 30 more hp for reasons we don't understand" -- ok, that's kinda a new one on me, I've seen it get weird and need the battery unhooked, but not it being totally random like that. Hell, that might be part of the thing not making power you thought it should before, maybe we just needed to unhook the battery.

They said that the car does not have 4 valves in the exhaust that can close, there's only 2. Well, I can take a picture of all 4 if they want to see them. 2 are pre-muffler and 2 are post muffler. The 2 pre-muffler ones are closing after startup.... I have no idea why, was looking for help.

Derek said if I paid for a mail order tune from them they'd help, but not unless I did that.

I'm keeping working on this, but it is weird and frustrating, and it sounds awesome with all the valves open and like just ok when the 2 close down.

We'll get it figured out, was hoping for some help, but I guess we won't get it. :-(

Does anyone with the AFM delete know how to address this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Newton06; 12-17-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Sales@Texas-Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
I just bought your complete VVT3 h/c package & my tuner is having a problem with the exhaust valves with the AFM delete. He called & spoke to Derek & was told he would not be helped unless I bought a mail-order tune from TS.

That sucks.

ok, talked to them. They say that the C7's are weird, and I knew that. Said "Well, we just unhook the battery after every pull, sometimes that gets us 30 more hp for reasons we don't understand" -- ok, that's kinda a new one on me, I've seen it get weird and need the battery unhooked, but not it being totally random like that. Hell, that might be part of the thing not making power you thought it should before, maybe we just needed to unhook the battery.

They said that the car does not have 4 valves in the exhaust that can close, there's only 2. Well, I can take a picture of all 4 if they want to see them. 2 are pre-muffler and 2 are post muffler. The 2 pre-muffler ones are closing after startup.... I have no idea why, was looking for help.

Derek said if I paid for a mail order tune from them they'd help, but not unless I did that.

I'm keeping working on this, but it is weird and frustrating, and it sounds awesome with all the valves open and like just ok when the 2 close down.

We'll get it figured out, was hoping for some help, but I guess we won't get it. :-(

Does anyone with the AFM delete know how to address this?

Thanks!
Hi Newton06

We are more than happy to help any way we can. What your tuner wanted (to my understanding) was us to write a tune for the car and send it to him to run. That is why we would have to charge for a mail order tune.

Give me a call and I would be happy to try to help figure out the problem. I may be a vacuum issue with the valves not opening... as far as taking the battery off and reconnecting and picking up power tells me that the tune is way off. That car is not a easy to tune as the previous LSx motors. It requires someone who has done it a few times.

Dominic

806-698-0365
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Jason 98 TA

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes give us a call. We aren't mail order tuning the c7 for cams yet. The guys said your down on power so I expect you have some kind of install issue. That camshaft pics up a ton of power when all is ok.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Jason 98 TA

Buddy we just looked at your file from your tuner. I think you need to check out your install a little more. You have codes that I've never seen a LT1 car produce. I don't think any amount of tuning will solve our problem until we figure out why we're getting some of the codes we are getting.

With Crankshaft & Camshaft position codes we're not getting the ecm the proper data to make things happen. Keep your head up I bet you find something little holding it back from kicking butt! We've shipped over 50 LT1 camshafts with nothing but good results. Yours will end up making you smile!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Buddy we just looked at your file from your tuner. I think you need to check out your install a little more. You have codes that I've never seen a LT1 car produce. I don't think any amount of tuning will solve our problem until we figure out why we're getting some of the codes we are getting.

With Crankshaft & Camshaft position codes we're not getting the ecm the proper data to make things happen. Keep your head up I bet you find something little holding it back from kicking butt! We've shipped over 50 LT1 camshafts with nothing but good results. Yours will end up making you smile!
Are you guys offering a tune that goes with your cam/head kit through HP Tuners, I know a custom tune is the way to go. But this would be good to install for a baseline and then fine tuning through the Dyno and Data logging.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Jason 98 TA

Not yet but at some point we will. With the lt1 it's a different beast so we prefer to see dyno tunes currently. Hopefully we can add cam tunes pretty soon though.

I don't believe tune is at all the issue with the original posters car though. It has codes that should never be coming up
Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Not yet but at some point we will. With the lt1 it's a different beast so we prefer to see dyno tunes currently. Hopefully we can add cam tunes pretty soon though.

I don't believe tune is at all the issue with the original posters car though. It has codes that should never be coming up
The guys at Texas Speed have been very helpful.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Newton06; 01-12-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Jason 98 TA

Just let us know how we can help & we will make it happen!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:19 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The only way to correctly delete AFM on a STOCK C7 is with tuning from EFILIVE OR HP---And these are NEW software releases---just in the last few months---This does NOT allow the AFM to activate EVER-
Now so far you cannot eliminate the pre muffler butterflys in your exhaust--as you will immediately get a code---If you even try to dis connect the pigtails--an immediate code--There is NO software yet to eliminate those pre muffler butterflies ( and even if there was--I doubt that there would be much of a HP gain)
To get a full flowing exhaust on the rear NPP butterflies you have to cut out and remove both the mufflers--No codes with this mod--
I removed BOTH my mufflers and with 4 cats the car is just barely louder then NPP opened and I guess maybe an added 5 HP
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Still no progress on getting the VVT3 cam & head package working correctly.

Installer is sending the came phaser back to Texas Speed for them to analyze, and the install instructions seemed confusing.

I'm hopeful this gets sorted out quickly and turns out to be something simple to correct.

Has anyone installed the VVT3 cam in a 2015 successfully?

Last edited by Newton06; 01-06-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Almost a month later and still almost no progress. An AFM setting in the tune was causing the P0 cam/crank codes, which has been rectified, but the package is making no additional power over stock.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Jason 98 TA

What state are you in? Perhaps I can find a tuner to look it over and help.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost a month later and still almost no progress. An AFM setting in the tune was causing the P0 cam/crank codes, which has been rectified, but the package is making no additional power over stock.
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that your tuner is the problem here. Texas Speed may not offer the BEST products in the world, but they certainly put a decent amount of R&D into their stuff and their cams have been "go to" items for the LS engines for many years.

Who is tuning the car and where are you located?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
OD3G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the package is making no additional power over stock.
Tuner doesn't know what they are doing in an e92

Get notified of new replies

To Jason @ Texas Speed - need help with your AFM delete & NPP exhaust valves

Quick Reply: Jason @ Texas Speed - need help with your AFM delete & NPP exhaust valves