C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better car for the street? Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM
BigJudy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Better car for the street? Opinions please

Hello to all. I am looking for some of your opinions on a topic that im considering. I have used the search bar but I have not quite found what im looking for. Here is my dilemma...

I am curious to see which would be the better street car, now that people actually own the new Z06. My first thought was to buy the new Z06, and build from there, but im not a huge fan of the supercharger on it. Now that it is out, and I have been following LMR, Vengeance, etc. im not sure if that's the way I am wanting to go. My other option would be to take the 14, 1lt z51 m7, and build a 416 stroker motor, and either F1X procharger or YSI the car, with a 150 shot of nitrous, which will yield me around 1000 or maybe a little north of that RWHP. More or less like LMRs blue stingray. LMR would build the car for me. My goal is to have a street monster that can handle mostly anything from a roll (hints my name) and also if I put slicks and skinnies, have the ability to run mid 9s at the track (not saying I could put down that pass with my driving). It will be 95% street car, seeing a few track days during the year, but will be purpose built for events like TX2K and SCT.

I hope I have explained what my intent is with the car, and would like to hear what others, more experienced with this than I am, think. Money is not a factor in my decision.

Lastly, to those who might say 1000hp is too much to handle, I have owned several high hp cars, north of 700 each.

thanks for your .02
Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Roll Boy
More or less like LMRs blue stingray.
I am sure they (LMR) would be all too happy to comply with your wishes.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:22 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If money is no object, I would get the Z06 A8 and modify. The A8 is about 3 tenths quicker 0-60. Unless you like shifting more than being quick, which I understand some people do.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Better car for the street? You are kidding about that right? 1000hp in a RWD car, no matter what anyone says is silly for the street. Not saying 1000hp is silly, its just that your justification for what car to buy based on which would be best on the street is.

Go with the Z51 Stingray and build from there. The only reason I could see going for a Z06 is to get the Z07 brakes. The aero alone on the Z06 will hamper your speed. There are already plenty of threads explaining how to fit 315 rears under the car and I think someone managed a 375.

If I had the inclination to go for broke and build a nasty drag car and had the money you are going to spend for this project I'd try to get my hands on a COPO Camaro and call it a day.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:12 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Better car for the street? You are kidding about that right? 1000hp in a RWD car, no matter what anyone says is silly for the street. Not saying 1000hp is silly, its just that your justification for what car to buy based on which would be best on the street is.

Go with the Z51 Stingray and build from there. The only reason I could see going for a Z06 is to get the Z07 brakes. The aero alone on the Z06 will hamper your speed. There are already plenty of threads explaining how to fit 315 rears under the car and I think someone managed a 375.

If I had the inclination to go for broke and build a nasty drag car and had the money you are going to spend for this project I'd try to get my hands on a COPO Camaro and call it a day.
Hey boss do you still plan to do bolt ons to your car?? I ordered the same car as you and plan to do AR longtubes with AFE cold air kit and a dyno tune. Keeping it simple with this car. How you still liking yours !
Old 12-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Hey boss do you still plan to do bolt ons to your car?? I ordered the same car as you and plan to do AR longtubes with AFE cold air kit and a dyno tune. Keeping it simple with this car. How you still liking yours !
Love it so far. I will be doing the Trifecta Elite tune that also tunes the A8 first. Probably gonna get the AFe intake and some American Racing longtubes to tide me over until I can afford an LT1 longblock to start my engine build.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Only you can set the goal. You have to decide how you will use the car.

1. Drag Strip.....1,000 Hp is good. Build it to that if you have the funds. Drive it infrequently, worry about reliability...are the rods/pistons/heads/ crankshaft going to last? Power is limited by your budget.

2. Sunday shows. HP is secondary. what looks good when the hood opens. People will oogle and ahhh about the looks under the hood. Chrome, carbon fiber, etc. everything you can order from a catalogue. Stock HP. who cares.

3. Track. This is the curvy type...not drag strip. Then the emphasis in flat torque curve not peak power. Reliability is important but handling is more. 500-600 rwhp is about right

4. Country driving. Like the aggressive rural roads in Central Texas around Fredricksburg/Kerrville. This emphasis in on comfort, reliability, great handling, and "fun" to drive on a variety of roads. All you need is 400-500 rwhp.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 AM
HydroStream6
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though you want it for rolls mainly, I would still do an auto. I roll raced my 1000hp GTO as both a manual 6 speed and with a 4 speed auto and the auto was faster all the time. And the auto will make your few drag sessions much more productive as well. Just my $0.02!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:51 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by RussM05
Only you can set the goal. You have to decide how you will use the car.

1. Drag Strip.....1,000 Hp is good. Build it to that if you have the funds. Drive it infrequently, worry about reliability...are the rods/pistons/heads/ crankshaft going to last? Power is limited by your budget.

2. Sunday shows. HP is secondary. what looks good when the hood opens. People will oogle and ahhh about the looks under the hood. Chrome, carbon fiber, etc. everything you can order from a catalogue. Stock HP. who cares.

3. Track. This is the curvy type...not drag strip. Then the emphasis in flat torque curve not peak power. Reliability is important but handling is more. 500-600 rwhp is about right

4. Country driving. Like the aggressive rural roads in Central Texas around Fredricksburg/Kerrville. This emphasis in on comfort, reliability, great handling, and "fun" to drive on a variety of roads. All you need is 400-500 rwhp.
This is perfect!!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:39 PM
myvette_99
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

You said you are going to mostly roll race with the car. From a gear ratio perspective the Z06 7spd has the best ratio spread. Yes the A8 will shift faster but the ratios are not very friendly at higher speeds. Z51 7spd also has bad gears for hwy pulls. Just more food for thought.

cheers!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM
BigJudy
Racer

Thanks for all the replies guys. As for the A8 (or auto anything) it is out for me. A manual allows me to feel one with the car, and I love to row through the gears. I think im leaning more toward the Z51. Im not concearned about Sunday Shows, as I am building this car for me and the happiness I get out of it. I have one more wrench to throw into the mix. What about a C6Z with built 440 LSX swap with the same power? Im just throwing options out there.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. As for the A8 (or auto anything) it is out for me. A manual allows me to feel one with the car, and I love to row through the gears. I think im leaning more toward the Z51. Im not concearned about Sunday Shows, as I am building this car for me and the happiness I get out of it. I have one more wrench to throw into the mix. What about a C6Z with built 440 LSX swap with the same power? Im just throwing options out there.
The C6 Z06 is a sound platform to build on (once the heads are rebuilt with better components and ported for greater airflow). Lighter, very good brakes(equal to base C7Z06), more aggressive gearing than the C7 C06 and lower aero drag for highway pulls. No heavy(35 pounds)VVT & AFM to mess with like with the C7.

Plenty of shops have extensive knowledge modifying the LS series engines and 570 rear wheel horsepower(as does the C7 Z06) is a walk in the park.

Pick up a 2009 Z06 that has had heavy depreciation since it has no warranty remaining, and mod away.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 AM
BigJudy
Racer

I believe I have decided on a non z51, 1lt stingray to build from. from what I hear, the dry sump system on the z51 does not handle boost well, and im not in need of the MSRC as it will be on coilovers anyway. thanks for all the help
Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

So A Z51 building it to 1000HP how much money are we talking about?Not that I will be doing it.I don't have A Z51.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 PM
BigJudy
Racer

Originally Posted by thrilled
So A Z51 building it to 1000HP how much money are we talking about?Not that I will be doing it.I don't have A Z51.
Safely and correctly with forged everything, fuel system, suspension, and braking...about 45k plus what the car costs
Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 AM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree,,, well said
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 PM
BigJudy
Racer

I completely understand what you mean about 1000+ hp is silly for the streets, but there is just something about being able to say that your car has 4 digit hp. not that I want a dyno queen by any means, as I am building the car for a reason, and it will be used for that reason time and time again. I could buy a GTR and spend 10k on go fast goodies and have a much "better" car for the streets, but as everyone on this forum knows all too well, there is just something about the corvette, from its heritage and history, to the raw, rear wheel, hold on to your a** fun that it provides. its the only car in my opinion for what I want to build. sure, ill get drug by certain people, but I often remind myself that there will always be someone faster (except in Larry Larsons case thus far) and that keeps the cash in my wallet

Get notified of new replies

To Better car for the street? Opinions please

Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM
BigJudy
Racer

one more option...1lt non Z51 stingray, sell the motor and tranny, build a 440 lsx with C6 ZR1 tranny, procharger, nitrous. 1200 hp. what are your thoughts, as this is a serious contender.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I completely understand what you mean about 1000+ hp is silly for the streets, but there is just something about being able to say that your car has 4 digit hp. not that I want a dyno queen by any means, as I am building the car for a reason, and it will be used for that reason time and time again. I could buy a GTR and spend 10k on go fast goodies and have a much "better" car for the streets, but as everyone on this forum knows all too well, there is just something about the corvette, from its heritage and history, to the raw, rear wheel, hold on to your a** fun that it provides. its the only car in my opinion for what I want to build. sure, ill get drug by certain people, but I often remind myself that there will always be someone faster (except in Larry Larsons case thus far) and that keeps the cash in my wallet
I think it would be cheaper to take some med's to hone in that ego.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
BigJudy
Racer

Originally Posted by jimman
I think it would be cheaper to take some med's to hone in that ego.
No ego at all. I just want what I want, and I am asking which would be the better platform in which to build it.

Quick Reply: Better car for the street? Opinions please