C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Quarter Panel Air Scoops

Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by sycraft
no idea on the air scoops as there are no parts numbers associated with them yet, just looks like additional scoops in the Z06.

As far as the cooler, a 2015 Z51 cooler 22908628 and lines 22809154

2015 Z06 are cooler 23224810 and lines 23212375

Picture shows the same mounting but have no idea of size/flow changes
Thanks for those part numbers. You showed a diagram of the brake ducts, and I was wondering if there was a similar diagram for the duct that goes between the fender air scoop and the back of the transmission cooler. The picture shows the large black plastic duct on the left above the tire for the Z51 automatic transmission cooler (because it has a fan, manual does not) and the mounting brackets for the cooler. Also wondering if the brackets are the same between Z51 and Z06.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

they are direct fit, mine were ordered today, will update when I get them
where did you order yours from? If you don't mind me asking.

Never mind, I found them on a GM parts site for $90.08 a piece. Thanks for the part numbers though!

Last edited by js1977; 01-27-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by js1977
where did you order yours from? If you don't mind me asking.

Never mind, I found them on a GM parts site for $90.08 a piece. Thanks for the part numbers though!
Do you need more parts though including the connections?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
js1977
Racer

Originally Posted by leadville1
Do you need more parts though including the connections?
Connections? I'm not sure I understand
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Connections? I'm not sure I understand
The hard line pipes from the transmission to the coolers, since the coolers are larger, I am guessing they need to be replaced as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM
js1977
Racer

The hard line pipes from the transmission to the coolers, since the coolers are larger, I am guessing they need to be replaced as well.
I'm just buying the vents, I have a Z51 and it already has built in ducts that cool the transmission oil cooler and rear differential. The Z06 vents should catch more air, but I don't think there will be any issues with the factory (Z51) ducts receiving more air from the Z06 vents. But I'm not an expert nor have I tested this theory yet.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
SFengineer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Thanks for those part numbers. You showed a diagram of the brake ducts, and I was wondering if there was a similar diagram for the duct that goes between the fender air scoop and the back of the transmission cooler. The picture shows the large black plastic duct on the left above the tire for the Z51 automatic transmission cooler (because it has a fan, manual does not) and the mounting brackets for the cooler. Also wondering if the brackets are the same between Z51 and Z06.

I would love to install the larger cooler as well, but have the same concerns - Lines, fan shroud, brackets. From this thread, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-coolers.html , you can see there are several potential setups that our cars have / can have. I wish chevy would have installed a small aux cooler on the passenger side with the available space left from the small diff cooler-
Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm just buying the vents, I have a Z51 and it already has built in ducts that cool the transmission oil cooler and rear differential. The Z06 vents should catch more air, but I don't think there will be any issues with the factory (Z51) ducts receiving more air from the Z06 vents. But I'm not an expert nor have I tested this theory yet.
I don't think the larger vents will have any negative effects on a current z51 system. The vents capture more air but think of it as driving on a highway or on a side street. More air will be forced into the stock z51 vents at higher speeds then a slow speed. The z06 vents should work on the same principal. OR, what if there is a strong head wind? More air into the stock vents.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is helpful hopefully doing this over the weekend!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Got Even
6th Gear

Default C7 z/OS vents

z/OS vents are not available. Seems GM is saving them for the plant only and not releasing them to over the counter customers. So, Don't do any slicing and dicing until you have em in hand. I think I found a source though. LOL LOL

Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM
2ndStingray
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Theta
The following How-To covers the explanation of how to Remove & Replace Rear Quarter Panel Air Scoops and includes specifications, schematics, etc.

These How-To guides are neither endorsed by or property of Corvette Forum or myself in any way/shape/form. All liability stemming from any actions taken in relation to these guides is solely placed upon the user.

We hope you will find these guides useful.
Guys,

I just bought the ACS Composites vent ducts and the installation procedures looks like only the rear quarter needs to be removed by taking out the three torx bolts on the rear quarter flange (where door meets quarter) and the four torx on the rear quarter mounting flange accessed from the trunk (where trunk lid meets quarter). That allows you to pry the quarter away and access the three retaining nuts.

Haven't tried it yet but Joseph at ACS says shouldn't take more than 30 mins.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:57 PM
js1977
Racer

Originally Posted by 2ndStingray
Guys,

I just bought the ACS Composites vent ducts and the installation procedures looks like only the rear quarter needs to be removed by taking out the three torx bolts on the rear quarter flange (where door meets quarter) and the four torx on the rear quarter mounting flange accessed from the trunk (where trunk lid meets quarter). That allows you to pry the quarter away and access the three retaining nuts.

Haven't tried it yet but Joseph at ACS says shouldn't take more than 30 mins.
Good info! I finally got my Z06 vents a few weeks ago and have been putting this install off, I think I'm going to try it within the week
Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 PM
js1977
Racer

Just finished!!! Holy **** that sucked but at the same time wasn't too bad if that makes sense...

Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Did you use the ACS method mentioned above?

I was just going to take them to my local Chevy body shop they charge $50 an hour labor and have them do it.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 AM
js1977
Racer

Did you use the ACS method mentioned above?

I was just going to take them to my local Chevy body shop they charge $50 an hour labor and have them do it.
Yes I just removed the top 4 torq screws and the three in the door well (three in fuel cap on drivers side). Then used plastic interior pry tools to help pull the quarter panel out. Drivers side was easier then the passenger, but both were a pain in the *** to get to the top nut on the vent. If you have skinny hands you'll be fine but if you got fat/big hands then you might want to use a different method (remove the rear bumper) or pay someone to do it.
You'll need a plastic pry tool, T15 torque head, and a 8mm wrench. I was able to do both sides in probably 2 1/2 hours taking my time and not being 109% sure. The rubber under the quarter panel glass was a bitch as well, you have to use the pry tool on the top end to allow the rubber to stay on top of the quarter panel when reinstalling.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Yes I just removed the top 4 torq screws and the three in the door well (three in fuel cap on drivers side). Then used plastic interior pry tools to help pull the quarter panel out. Drivers side was easier then the passenger, but both were a pain in the *** to get to the top nut on the vent. If you have skinny hands you'll be fine but if you got fat/big hands then you might want to use a different method (remove the rear bumper) or pay someone to do it.
You'll need a plastic pry tool, T15 torque head, and a 8mm wrench. I was able to do both sides in probably 2 1/2 hours taking my time and not being 109% sure. The rubber under the quarter panel glass was a bitch as well, you have to use the pry tool on the top end to allow the rubber to stay on top of the quarter panel when reinstalling.
Wow that is a lot of work just to replace some vents....I will give this information to my Body shop, I am not giving up 3 hours on the weekend to get frustrated doing this job....
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Just a warning all, don't shortcut this job. I took it to a GM body shop and it was a major PITA. They followed the ACS instructions and ended up catching an edge on the stock vents removing them, it scratched the quarter and the car ended up getting a painted fender trying to remove these.

Remove the rear bumper and then remove the whole panel, disassemble the duct off the car if you want to save your paint. Stupid design how they go in.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Quarter Panel Air Scoops

Old 05-02-2015, 02:24 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Any one tried this C7 Z51 scoop enhancer?

I got my A8 transmission to overheat on track (Watkins Glen, air temperature 39F - that is 3C) in about 15min even while minimizing shifts/lap, and upshifting at around 5,500-6,000RPMs (not near redline).

The overheating is the only problem I have with enjoying my Z51 that I haven't been able to solve.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 05-03-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Advertising for non-supporting vendor not allowed
Old 05-02-2015, 05:05 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

those cost more than the OEM ones,,,,
Old 05-02-2015, 06:05 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

those cost more than the OEM ones,,,,
Yes, but take about 10 seconds to install, without removing anything, vs 3 hours+ and the risk of a required fender paint job on a brand new car.

If I knew these were effective, I'd buy them instantly.

Wondering if anyone has tried and seen any reduction in transmission fluid temperature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Quarter Panel Air Scoops